Is There Any Jobs For Foreigners In Thailand Without A Degree

Hi,

I have moved to Thailand with my wife in Jan this year. We both have real estate which we have invested in Australia which is good income and currently building a small block of units in Thailand too which is nothing too flash.

We plan to open a internet cafe for something to do. We have a good supply of money coming in at the moment. But I was just thinking if all goes belly up, if the aussie dollar drops like hel_l for some reason and my apartments are empty. What job I could get in Thailand? I know I can be an English teacher, but thats not what I want to do.

My wife was an manager in one of the biggest IT firms in the world and has her masters, so she would have no problem getting a job, but I just has a quick look around on the net and it doesn't look good for me.

I guess I could go back to Australia until everything got back on track if I did run into some bad luck. But thats not what I would like to do.

So what do you think? This just popped into my head last night and I am the type of person who can't stop thinking about what if's in the future.

if the aussie dollar drops like hel_l

the whole world would be upside down and you wont be alone?

Australian entrepreneurship is quite impressive if compared to British or even American ...

I count only 2 aussies that i've known of in Thailand, one came on his bike as a tourist and ends up owner of an big advertising agency, another couple in internet cafes now owns a big franchise in aussie pies ..

so, tie me kangaroo down sport

Hi,

I have moved to Thailand with my wife in Jan this year. We both have real estate which we have invested in Australia which is good income and currently building a small block of units in Thailand too which is nothing too flash.

We plan to open a internet cafe for something to do. We have a good supply of money coming in at the moment. But I was just thinking if all goes belly up, if the aussie dollar drops like hel_l for some reason and my apartments are empty. What job I could get in Thailand? I know I can be an English teacher, but thats not what I want to do.

My wife was an manager in one of the biggest IT firms in the world and has her masters, so she would have no problem getting a job, but I just has a quick look around on the net and it doesn't look good for me.

I guess I could go back to Australia until everything got back on track if I did run into some bad luck. But thats not what I would like to do.

So what do you think? This just popped into my head last night and I am the type of person who can't stop thinking about what if's in the future.

they speak english in Australia? :)

Hi,

Yes agreed! Congratulations to OP if he's not a native English speaker, but otherwise, before all else, there's one obvious task to address.

In all honesty OP couldn't be an English teacher at present.

Other than that, yes as one poster stated, I think being an English teacher is the only normal occupation actually requiring a degree (as well as a CELTA), so take your pick. Actually, I don't think the law even states that you can't be a teacher without a degree, it's just that this is what the Thai recruiters think!

Times are tough. As a general rule money invested in Thailand is never seen again :D .

However, since OP has experience of property, and also because it's possible to legally own a condo, this might be the best way to go.

From experience I wouldn't go the company route- accident waiting to happen.

Hi,

Yes agreed! Congratulations to OP if he's not a native English speaker, but otherwise, before all else, there's one obvious task to address.

In all honesty OP couldn't be an English teacher at present.

Other than that, yes as one poster stated, I think being an English teacher is the only normal occupation actually requiring a degree (as well as a CELTA), so take your pick. Actually, I don't think the law even states that you can't be a teacher without a degree, it's just that this is what the Thai recruiters think!

Times are tough. As a general rule money invested in Thailand is never seen again :D .

However, since OP has experience of property, and also because it's possible to legally own a condo, this might be the best way to go.

From experience I wouldn't go the company route- accident waiting to happen.

Agreed that almost any company deal will lead to you investing everything you have until everything is used up and then...nothing, too bad TIT! If you have a reasonably steady income and your wife would have no trouble getting a job, what's your problem? It doesn't take a lot of money to live comfortable in Thailand, get involved in a charity, you'd be surprised what opportunities present themselves and think of the merit you'll reap!

I think where the OP is coming from is that if you look at any job advert in Thailand it will have Bachelors Degree as a minimum requirement, even secretarial type stuff. My last secretary had a masters in English.

This is basically a yard stick in Thailand for a basic level of education, similar to finishing high school back in the West. I have seen some Bachelor Degree syllabi (sp) from some of my staff - not quite sure how modules in basketball and social studies are relevant to an Electrical Engineering degree, but all the degrees are modular general education, with a slight bias towards one major subject.

For farangs the degree requirement will usually be secondary to experience and suitability to the role.

Funny, that know-it-all comment about needing to have a degree to get a work permit. That's absolutely not true. You need to have a degree OR EQUIVALENT qualification. That EQUIVALENT qualification can simply be experience that is appropriate for the position. And of course, it's fairly easy to fabricate overseas experience.

I'm not saying it's easy but I've gotten work permits for MANY foreigners over the years and in my current company there are two such farangs. One is myself, so I'm always amused at hearing this line trotted out. I've gotten my work permits and permanent residence over the years without any official raising my lack of a degree. Of course it's easier if you have a history of work permits; it's easier if you're a director; it's easier if you are joining a BOI company and so on. But I've secured work permits for employees who have had very little in the way of relevant experience.

The real hurdle is the HR department. Across Asia a degree is seen as a minimum requirement, but you can argue equivalent experience and that can be seen as an advantage because you are less likely to move on.

Nice to see the other typical Thaivisa chestnuts being rolled out too. "You'll lose all your money if you start a business". "Never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to walk away from" "To make a small fortune in Thailand... start with a large one".

I wonder? Do posters who write such crap think they are qualified because they have lost their own money in some such schemes? Or they are qualified to comment because their long experience in snarking on forums?

There are lots of successful farang owned businesses in Thailand and more than a few are owned and operated by farang businessmen without degrees...

:) Took the words right out of my mouth. Full credit to you!

Funny, that know-it-all comment about needing to have a degree to get a work permit. That's absolutely not true. You need to have a degree OR EQUIVALENT qualification. That EQUIVALENT qualification can simply be experience that is appropriate for the position. And of course, it's fairly easy to fabricate overseas experience.

I'm not saying it's easy but I've gotten work permits for MANY foreigners over the years and in my current company there are two such farangs. One is myself, so I'm always amused at hearing this line trotted out. I've gotten my work permits and permanent residence over the years without any official raising my lack of a degree. Of course it's easier if you have a history of work permits; it's easier if you're a director; it's easier if you are joining a BOI company and so on. But I've secured work permits for employees who have had very little in the way of relevant experience.

The real hurdle is the HR department. Across Asia a degree is seen as a minimum requirement, but you can argue equivalent experience and that can be seen as an advantage because you are less likely to move on.

Nice to see the other typical Thaivisa chestnuts being rolled out too. "You'll lose all your money if you start a business". "Never invest more in Thailand than you can afford to walk away from" "To make a small fortune in Thailand... start with a large one".

I wonder? Do posters who write such crap think they are qualified because they have lost their own money in some such schemes? Or they are qualified to comment because their long experience in snarking on forums?

There are lots of successful farang owned businesses in Thailand and more than a few are owned and operated by farang businessmen without degrees...

Hi,

they speak english in Australia? :D

Better than in Germany :)

Fully agreed... :)

Have personally been living in Thailand since 2001 entirely on a work permit with no degree.

There were a few hoops to jump through when I first applied but the company I was working for took care of that. Now renewal is pretty much clockwork.

Finding a job as a foreigner in Thailand is very difficult at the moment even if you have a masters degree. Unless you have any special qualifications which are urgently required by a potential employer, you will be better off to run your own business. Best chances to find employment as a farang in Thailand is via personal connections and networking.

Hi,

Thai Prime minister and several top execs in Thailand's Stock Exchange are actively promoting their products in your country. Your wife's quals (not enough info provided here) might be right in line to get a job in this connection. Other than that, have her zero in on some of the brokers in Bangkok - Seamico might still be a good bet because it has just combined forces with Krungthai bank and the former used to have (still has?) a rep for seeking qualified foreigners for several finance related posts. They've always been the head of the pack in English language fluency requirements. The last Finance/Stock-trading/investing VP for Seamico was a fellow from Australia.

Don't fret - there's always a way to find what you want.

Some amusing posts, yeah I know my grammar is not up to stratch, I was more into girls then actually school. I type how I talk. So just pretend im actually speaking to you then it might be easier.

If my propertise vacant for a long period of time and the condos I am building don't fill up also. I will be just be relying on my internet cafe I am planning on opening up.

The condos is a small investment as my wife already owns land in Bangkok. So just need to build which we have family contacts. But you never know what can happen in the future, The whole thing might fall down judging by looking at the Thai's doing the revovon our house at the moment.

Well I worked as a credit controller which was good money in Australia without a degree. It would be hard for me here as I don't really speak Thai all that well (or English for you jokers) My wife and I were supervisors in a leagues club which would be hard to get a decent job here.

I mean I could just stay at home and she goes to work. But I would feel bad.

Bear in mind this is just an emergency plan I was thinking the other day if all goes belly up which I hope/doubt it doesn't.

a degree is not a requirement to get a work permit exept for teaching.

Incorrect.

Why is that Incorrect?

I don't have a Degree, is there a job form me?

i speak four languages fluentle; Thai, German,French and English and i just got my thai id i am american/thai.

can some one tell me my options.

i would realy apriciate it.

peace...

Edited by Thomas1983

You don't need a degree for a work permit.

I found this an interesting comment:

For farangs the degree requirement will usually be secondary to experience and suitability to the role

That's it. I agree 100 %. I don't know any other country where they are waving with their bachellors or masters and noone is interested in it.

The thing is, can you solve my problem or not. Means, for example can you sell the houses on my development or not. Others can not do.

Then, there is your job. Not talking but doing.

That shows how little trust the companies have in Thai education, so every education below masters in Thailand might be crap.

Well if this is the case than the Masters degree is cr*p as well then, because to get a Masters, you need to have "education below" Masters... :)

Nice to see something other than 'Thais will all rip you off and all your money will be gone'

glad you've done well :-)

can i have a job please? lol