Cross Border To Malaysia Near Satun ?

Hi,

Do you know if there is any place where to cross the border to Malaysia near Satun ?

As you can see on the map Satun is very close to Malaysia, so maybe it's not useful to go to HAT YAI to take a van or taxi to cross the border to Malaysia ?

http://www.asianbiketour.com/images/map.21_BEACHES_RS.GIF

Thanks for information.

Thank you.

Are you sure that foreigners can cross there ?

Hello frenchFARANGbkk.....

by what mean "Are you sure that foreigners can cross there ?"

I think all farang can cross border much like malaysian or thai did.... I think there's nothing problem ja.....

btw.... i always take a short trip to hatyai.... using a border pass.... crossing through Padang Besar to Hatyai.... I think wang kelian should keep same procedure much like padang besar did....

khun frenchFARANGbkk..... have a nice trip and welcome to Malaysia....

Back in 85, a few mates and I drove through khuan don. Immigration told us we were the first westerners through there in a year.

It was Hari Raya and they made us feel very welcome. Maybe something to do with the 3 eskys of cold beer in our car. They drank some of our beer and gave us hari raya cookies in return.

Back then the opening times were 8-6 on both sides so an hour’s difference between each countries immigration opening and closing times.

No idea what the crossing’s like now.

Edited by Farma

I think the OP is asking whether this is an international crossing point, rather than a local trading border where locals cross just showing ID card or day pass. I thought there were 4 international crossing points from Thailand to Malaysia:

1) Sadao (T) / Changloon (M)

2) Padang Besar (T) / Kaki Bukit (M)

3) Betong (T) / Keroh (M)

4) Sungai Golok (T) / Rantau Panjang (M)

But maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I think the OP is asking whether this is an international crossing point, rather than a local trading border where locals cross just showing ID card or day pass. I thought there were 4 international crossing points from Thailand to Malaysia:

You are right. You can also cross into Satun by boat from Langkawi! You cross at Bukit Kayu Hitam, Padang Besar, Betong ,Sungai Golok as well as Langkawi by boat into Satun.

Hi,

I Don't want to take a ferry, and i still don't know if it's possible to cross the land border near Satun now ?

(just wonder because as somebody said some borders can only be crossed by locals of the two countries, Thailand and Malaysia, not by foreigners)

Thanks for any future confirmation !

It does not seem to be an international crossing point. Therefore I'm not sure you will receive exit/entry stamps, if indeed you were allowed to cross, which would mean that you would be in the country illegally ... Not sure why you are looking to cross the border; if for border run I don't think this will work for you :) Suggestion - why don't you give immigration a call? Chok dii.

It does not seem to be an international crossing point. Therefore I'm not sure you will receive exit/entry stamps, if indeed you were allowed to cross, which would mean that you would be in the country illegally ... Not sure why you are looking to cross the border; if for border run I don't think this will work for you :) Suggestion - why don't you give immigration a call? Chok dii.

It is a International Bordercrossing.

Very quiet and relaxed.

Hi,

I Don't want to take a ferry, and i still don't know if it's possible to cross the land border near Satun now ?

(just wonder because as somebody said some borders can only be crossed by locals of the two countries, Thailand and Malaysia, not by foreigners)

Thanks for any future confirmation !

Yes it is possible and quite comfortable. I did it myself a few times before I had my extension of stay. People in Krabi do it quite often as Satun is not as far away as Sadao, there is no waiting and it is a very short walk to the Malaysian customs (unlike Sadao). The tax free shop has not too much choice however.

Thank you.

Hello frenchFARANGbkk.....

by what mean "Are you sure that foreigners can cross there ?"

I think all farang can cross border much like malaysian or thai did.... I think there's nothing problem ja.....

btw.... i always take a short trip to hatyai.... using a border pass.... crossing through Padang Besar to Hatyai.... I think wang kelian should keep same procedure much like padang besar did....

khun frenchFARANGbkk..... have a nice trip and welcome to Malaysia....

Hi Monoli,

Border passes are meant only for Malaysians who are born or reside within the border areas. They are not available to foreigners, or even Malaysians who live in Kuala Lumpur or Johor Bahru.

It is an international crossing, or at least it was about five years ago when I went though.

I started in Haad Yai, went out through Padang Besar and they went around to get there by motorcycle. It really beautiful and quite down there, especially on the Malay side. Lots of virgin forest, nice roads...

On the way back I stopped at Talea Ban National Park in Satun...

I would recommend this to anyone in Songkhla with a nice bike...

Don't forget Kota Bahru, we (3 persons incl me) drove over the border without anyone asking me for passport. It seems that not many officials are interested on who got the stamp or not. We crossed at about 5am with car from Malaysia. Drove the car through to the thai side (without anyone checking anything) and then we walked back to the compund to get the stamps LOL.

Kota Baru, an experience for itself :)

EDIT: Typos

Edited by sedeflonga

Hi,

Do you know if there is any place where to cross the border to Malaysia near Satun ?

As you can see on the map Satun is very close to Malaysia, so maybe it's not useful to go to HAT YAI to take a van or taxi to cross the border to Malaysia ?

Thanks for information.

You can also leave your car in Saturn at the ferry terminal and take a ferry to Langkawi ( abbout 1.15Mins ride each way). Spend part of the day in Langkawi and get duty free. Its about 5 hours drive to Satun from Phuket with a good bypass of Trang and good highway and country roads all the way from Phuket. Two basic hotels in satun for around 600B each - Thai and western food avialable in the town.

I have been thru the small border crossing near Satun in 1997 no problems. Its a bit hard to spot if your driving yourself - maybe that has changed.

a little bit more west is another bordercrossing, closer to Satun.

It's called Khuan Don (Thaiside) or Wang Kelian (Malayside)

Drove through Khuan Don a few months ago enroute to Malaysia. Definitely open only daytime, can get visa stamps if you walk in and out of Malaysia, pretty place too. Sign marker for turn off route 406.

Small points - and I don't want to appear to be nitpicking - it is of great significance to me though...

on point 2 - Padang Besar (T) / Kaki Bukit (M)

My understanding was that Padang Besar is the Malaysian side / name and Pekan Siam is the Thai side / name ?

I've been to Kaki Bukit village and it is around 1km+ further inside Malaysia from Padang Besar.

Hi,

Thanks for information.

Yes, there is a check point from Satun in direction Wang Thangga/ Talibanan national par. When you arrive at the old market in Satun you go left and you preceed in the big road for 15 km circa, and then right to the border.(they put a sign anyway now). Howevher note that 17:00 in Thailand is 18:00 in Malesya and they will close the border at that time. Is a very small checkpoint with a small duty free in between. If you need to make an insurance for your veichle go at least at 16:00 thai time. Good luck