Getting Cut In Front Of In Line

AskTheCPT

Do people often cut in line in Thailand?  

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over the last couple of years I've increasingly seen people jump to the front only for the counter staff to send them to the back of the queue.

I too have noticed this thank fully. When it happens I make sure to thank the counter staff.

Air Asia flight back from KL to BKK, some wannabe hi-so Thai woman and her two teenage girls pushed in front of me in the immigration line at KUL. I get in front of them, turn to her, and say "I was first!", and she gives me an evil look, and says "Never mind". Says I: "Actually I do!", and turn my back.

But then, as we're about to board the plane, I note she's at the front of the boarding queue (with many people behind her). It was the highlight of my life to date to be able to go right up to the front next to her, show the counter-guy my ticket with Express Boarding on it (200THB extra!), and board in front of her, throwing her a casual "You must be lo-so to be queuing" glance as I did. Good Lord did that feel good. Almost as good as when she tried to move, mid-flight, to the roomier Exit Row seats where I was sat, to be told by the air hostess that her and her clan couldn't sit there, as these seats were for premium customers only. Muahahahahahahaha.

That was the 'highlight of your life to date'? Crikey mate - you need to get out more!

Compared to China, where I lived for two years, cutting in line here is nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try India :)

but the absolute worst place i have been for cutting in line is india....no other place comes close.

what line :D what queue :D

If it is someone in an obvious hurry, or disabled in some way, I usually politely step back, and say 'Be my guest', and smile. But if it is someone who is just being rude, and impatient, I make a point of telling them, in a loud voice, that the queue starts further back, and move in front of them. But if it happens further up the queue, not immediately in front of me, then it is more difficult..? Thai's tend not to want any confrontation, so often say nothing. I agree that some changes are being seen, and some cashiers will not serve someone that has pushed past the queue. This should be encouraged with some positive comments when you get to the check-out. As far as driving goes, that's another matter. Probably best to back off, and let them go..? A friend was recently 'hit' when he tried to block another driver from cutting in. The other driver didn't stop either, but he got his registration number. It was another farang, as it turned out..! :)

post-33980-1250388525_thumb.jpg

you can do like some idiots here on the forum and say to yourself :

you are a guest here... blablabla

are you in a rush or something... they cut in front... same as always when we go to a shopping mall... the Thai way of wanting to enter a full elevator and go in before people came out... makes me laugh / sometimes angry when with children

I was at immigration yesterday and some visa agent (i think) just walked right in front of me and put his paperwork in the front of the agent even though my number was called.

It reminded me of how much I hate getting cut in front of. I also happened at that super-market in the bottom floor of MBK. I was standing in line for like 10 minutes in the pastry section and some bastard walked right in front of me. If that happened in the States I would tell him to F*** off but here what to do?

Seems I see people cutting in line all the time. It really doesn't affect me at all, but just the idea makes me want to do something.

Is this just me? Or is this an issue in Bangkok? Or have I just not let go of my USA attitude?

I believe in simply moving back in front of the offender BUT i think it is important to try to contain any emotion about it all ( me jai yen). If they push back in then they now know you are very aware of what they are doing and could prove dangerous, then best to let it go...

I asked him why he was jumping the line and he told me that this was his second trip for his visa extension.
This is normal not to have to wait in line again if you have been in an office before and are coming back a second time to complete a detail. I think most of us would have understood that. Cheers.

Yes, I think most of us would have understood had the gentleman simply said "This is a follow up vist" or some thing similar. He did not :)

seems to be more common than i thought. the last time someone cut me off at a fast food restaurant i let it slip but unleashed a string of profanity to my gf about what kind of idiot thai people take me for by just cutting in front of me. it turned out the guy spoke fluent english since he started apologizing to me and saying how sorry he was. he was stuck in the line in front of me for 5 mins and i could see him getting more and more uncomfortable in my presence by the minute.

Just had this now at kasikorn bank while I was opening an account, I was sat giving my details etc when a woman walked straight to the woman dealing with me asking her to update her pass book, she took the book and was about to do it, I took the book out of her hand, walked to the numbered ticket machine and got a number, handed it to the customer with her pass book and pointed her to the seats where I waited while waiting for my number to be called, both looked suitably embarrassed

Some Thais simply forget, that they are supposed to wait until it's their turn. They walk to a counter without realising that, like there would be no one waiting in the room. But if one tells them in a friendly manner, they get that wake up call, apologise and wait.

Yes, thats definately one thing that happens alot in Thailand.

Its kind of like the idiots that try to get into the lift before the people inside it get out.

Pathetic people only concerned for themselves. :)

Classic, im moving part time to Thai next year, im full time in China now. It will be good to know that i will be faced with the same que jumping problem, surely it cant be as bad as it is here, the ignorant t-ats that do it here, usually get behind you once youve pulled them up about it, not many make a scene, but then the person originally behind you lets them in and says nothing, on the other hand, ive done it myself when i was late for a flight, i just went to the front and said im late, nobody said a word, i could imagine someone saying this back home in sheffield, what you'd get is a polite <deleted>> off mate, get up earlier next time. But here its worse with the driving, most people here only take a multiple choice driving exam, this can usually be bought for 600USD without turning up, then they get out on the road, f--kin mayhem, but in thai, they seem to have a more fluid way to their driving, a bit fast at times but still beats the sh-t out of China

Yes, thats definately one thing that happens alot in Thailand.

Its kind of like the idiots that try to get into the lift before the people inside it get out.

Pathetic people only concerned for themselves. :)

Classic, im moving part time to Thai next year, im full time in China now. It will be good to know that i will be faced with the same que jumping problem, surely it cant be as bad as it is here, the ignorant t-ats that do it here, usually get behind you once youve pulled them up about it, not many make a scene, but then the person originally behind you lets them in and says nothing, on the other hand, ive done it myself when i was late for a flight, i just went to the front and said im late, nobody said a word, i could imagine someone saying this back home in sheffield, what you'd get is a polite <deleted>> off mate, get up earlier next time. But here its worse with the driving, most people here only take a multiple choice driving exam, this can usually be bought for 600USD without turning up, then they get out on the road, f--kin mayhem, but in thai, they seem to have a more fluid way to their driving, a bit fast at times but still beats the sh-t out of China

i forgot, the lifts, man thats the most stupid thing that goes onn, imagine 6 people trying to get out, and 4 trying to get in before them, nutters

Yes. On many an occasion I've had to do a, "Wait!!! You can't fit in here until we get out", not that this has been understood but with my arms spread wide to prevent people entering until "we" have extracated ourselves from the lift...it seems to work. The look on their faces is priceless! It's like, <deleted> are you doing & why?

It goes back to the "it's ok to publicly gouge huge chunks of snot from your nose but it's not ok to pick your teeth with your fingers." Totally non-sensical.

I almost got trampled down in China while in a que. It's dangerous there while waiting to board a train with a hundred other people behind you! Thailand is child's play by comparison. And in Korea, people push and shove just to push and shove. I guess it's cultural. Maybe they feel that if they are doing all they can to push the people in front of them, then the people behind them will not push so hard. I'd rather someone take cuts than trample or push me.

"It goes back to the "it's ok to publicly gouge huge chunks of snot from your nose but it's not ok to pick your teeth with your fingers." Totally non-sensical."

Speaking of 'non-sensical,' what about the, "Thais use their forks to shovel food onto their spoon. You should only use your spoon to put food in your mouth, never your fork as it is considered rude to do so." Okay so here I am trying to eat a salad with a spoon... give me a break. I got this lecture at a school where I worked and they even went so far as to print it in their new-hire orientation booklets. One time I tried to eat with a fork at that school and got the evil stare, even from other westerners.... I'm not being sensitive to Thais because I put a fork in my mouth.

Yes it happens ocassionally, Thais queue jumping. But some of you guys whinging about it should get things in perspective, go and spend some time in an Arabic country such as Egypt. I mean staying in the city, not in some fancy tourist resort.

Then come back to LOS and see how you rate the problem.

All things are relative, but some only have their home country to judge by.

But then they'd have to have the new url wwwthaivisaqueuejumpingisworseinothercountriesthanherebutseeingaswedontliveinoth

ercountriesbutliveinthailandandthiswebsiteisaboutlifeinthailanditsabitofapointles

scomparison.com

:)

Some Thais simply forget, that they are supposed to wait until it's their turn.

What are they goldfish or something?

Next you'll be telling me that bloke on a Honda Wave I saw creamed by a bus the other day flying through a red light simply forgot that he had to stop.

:)

Thais forget they have to wait?

Nonsense!

Not all of course, but some for sure.

Pre the numeral system you would have noticed that better time and again .

Line/queue hopping is a cultural thing in the land of smiles and us as guests in the Kingdom of Thailand should accept that fact. After all, we are only guests and should be prepared to accept such things.

Would we be prepared to expect a Thai to stand in line at the post office in London? - No - we would let him jump the line, because that is his cultural preogrative.

Just takes a bit of cultural awareness, guys.

We as westerners don't have a monoloply on politeness.

Joking aside, I'm in a bad mood today. It is a good thing that the banks etc have begun using the ticket/number system over the last year. Cuts out the queue jumpers.

I have spent over 12 million baht in 6 years so dont say i am a frigging guest.No excuse for arrogance and ignorance.I will NOT allow anybody to deliberately treat me like a piece of shit and push me out of the way to go before me.I dont go mad at first,i just say sorry but i am next not you.

Spend 120 Million baht over 6 days....you'll still be a guest. Get over it.

I almost got trampled down in China while in a que. It's dangerous there while waiting to board a train with a hundred other people behind you! Thailand is child's play by comparison. And in Korea, people push and shove just to push and shove. I guess it's cultural. Maybe they feel that if they are doing all they can to push the people in front of them, then the people behind them will not push so hard. I'd rather someone take cuts than trample or push me.

"It goes back to the "it's ok to publicly gouge huge chunks of snot from your nose but it's not ok to pick your teeth with your fingers." Totally non-sensical."

Speaking of 'non-sensical,' what about the, "Thais use their forks to shovel food onto their spoon. You should only use your spoon to put food in your mouth, never your fork as it is considered rude to do so." Okay so here I am trying to eat a salad with a spoon... give me a break. I got this lecture at a school where I worked and they even went so far as to print it in their new-hire orientation booklets. One time I tried to eat with a fork at that school and got the evil stare, even from other westerners.... I'm not being sensitive to Thais because I put a fork in my mouth.

just don't put your foot in your mouth..........

all very good posts...but consider this. in the time ive spent driving on bkk roads, ive noticed the perennial queue jumpers are always the big and expensive european saloons. it has got me to wondering if jumping queues isn't a trait that successful people here employ. perhaps if I were to do the same, i could trade in my little company issue toyota yaris for something a little more roomy.

move over suckers, i'm coming through !!!

Thais forget they have to wait?

Nonsense!

Not all of course, but some for sure.

Pre the numeral system you would have noticed that better time and again .

It's not so much that they forget that they are supposed to wait. More a case of them simply not recognising that a group of people are stood one behind the other in a line a doing so for a specific reason. It can be funny when they catch on, "Oh, this line of 30 people is actually a queue, duh!"

I remember once at a pub back in the U.K. As I headed for the bar I found myself walking past a long line of people leading up to the bar, and it was quite a long bar. Realising that this was actually a queue I almost headed to the back of the line myself until I saw a few barmen stood about doing nothing.

As it turned out these people where on a trip from Europe somewhere and had no doubt been briefed on the great British tradition of queueing, they just got it a little wrong that time.

Edited by Moonrakers