Female Passenger Alleges Airport Taxi Driver Tried To Drug Her

I've been to Bangkok 2x and each time I've noticed there are some cabs where, in my opinion, the AC made me feel very nauseous and ill for a few hours afterwards. There is usually an awful smell which I can't tell if it's some gawd awful freshener or some chemical leaking from the AC.

I've been to Bangkok 2x and each time I've noticed there are some cabs where, in my opinion, the AC made me feel very nauseous and ill for a few hours afterwards. There is usually an awful smell which I can't tell if it's some gawd awful freshener or some chemical leaking from the AC.

And these fumes make only tourists ill? The taxi drivers have taken an antidote?

And these fumes make only tourists ill? The taxi drivers have taken an antidote?

The version of the story that my wife has gotten has the taxi driver taking a pill that makes him immune. :)

Has there been any news footage of the woman in question that one can deduce her character or state of mind from? This kind of behaviour might be a regular thing from her.

Putting your hand over the aircon outlet to feel the temperature isn't an abnormal thing to do. neither is wearing sunglasses or driving slow.

I think back to the very, very early microwave ovens. I bought one when you were still hearing a lot about radiation leaks. Every time I used it I felt dizzy. One night in particular I had turned it on and felt very busy. I decided that proved it. Mine was leaking radiation. Then I realized I had forgotten to turn it on. The idea had gotten in my head and I couldn't let go of it.

I think some of these claims of scams are true, but others are people's imagination...and I think this is one of the latter.

Hmmm an airbourne gas that only effects the passangers and not the driver, thats undetectable through hospital tests. A driver whos nefarius plan is thwarted by the passenger asking him to pull over. Sounds very likely, after all TIT! Or, Maybe some exhaust fumes were getting in the car.

Excellent point. :)

This story (or a similar one) was being circulated amongst Thais in a chain email warning I saw a couple of days ago. Said the driver reached into his bag as he was driving and the lady thought he unscrewed the bottle cap of some volatile substance that she breathed in. So she got the taxi to stop and went into a 7-11 to escape and he drove off. Even had a scan of the taxi receipt with the driver's details. However this begs the question as to how he was unaffected as well.

My first guess is the LPG leaking in through the boot, but also would not place out the best scammers in the world for trying a drug or gas or powder to see the first effects and reactions before really applying the product to the taxi market