Asia Telecommunications Disrupted By Typhoon-damaged Cables

george

Asia Telecommunications Disrupted By Typhoon-Damaged Cables

SINGAPORE: -- As many as seven underseas cables linking various Asian nations have been damaged by undersea landslides from Typhoon Morakat that battered Taiwan and China over the weekend, leading to Internet and voice call connectivity disruptions in Asia and sending telecommunications operators scrambling to restore services.

Though the cause and the extent of the damage on the cables remains unclear, telecommunications firms in Taiwan, Singapore, China, Japan, the Philippines and South Korea say the impact of the damaged cables has been minor or contained through various workarounds. This illustrates the benefits of continued cable network investments in the region since an earthquake off the coast of southern Taiwan in December 2006 damaged seven undersea cables and disrupted services for several days.

The disruption to Asia's telecommunications network points to global dependence on a series of cables lying on or just above the ocean floor. Most international Internet data and voice phone calls are transmitted as pulses of light via these hundreds of undersea fiber-optic lines that crisscross the globe. The cables, which can cost hundreds of millions of dollars, are typically owned either by specialized cable operators or by consortia of telecom companies, which share costs and capacity.

Companies that have reported service disruptions include Taiwan's Chunghwa Telecom Co. (CHT), Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. (Z74.SG), Philippines' Globe Telecom Inc. (GLO.PH), Japan's NTT DoCoMo Inc. (9437.TO), KDDI Corp. (9433.TO), and South Korea's KT Corp. (KTC).

Earlier Thursday, Chunghwa said four international undersea cables it jointly operates in the region that provide international service calls and Internet connectivity have been damaged by seabed movements stemming from the typhoon. The cables are owned by a large number of telecommunications operators around the region.

Damages to two of the lines, connecting to nearly all Asian states including Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia, is still producing disruption in voice calls among Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand and the Philippines. Chunghwa Telecom international business group president Leng Tai-feing said it typically takes one to two months to repair the lines.

But the company also said that service disruptions have been limited due to additional network capacity. SingTel and Globe also made similar comments after noting minor disruptions on their networks.

The severity of the current disruptions appear to be far more benign than the pan-regional brownout caused by the earthquake near Taiwan in 2006.

"The real story here may be how much progress Asia's international network connectivity has made in just the last few years," Ovum Principal Analyst Matt Walker said in a report.

"With the installation of the Transpacific Express, the Asia America Gateway, several smaller intra-Asia projects and cables linking Europe and Asia through India and the Middle East (not all complete), the region's cable systems are now much more meshed and resilient, and less prone to catastrophic failures."

Walker added that further investments in underwater cables that are laid in different locations to avoid concentration of lines in known trouble spots as well as reducing the reliance on the U.S. as a traffic hub will help companies against similar outages in the future.

"The more capacity, the better," he said.

-- Dow Jones 2009-08-13

Related link:

Check your internet speed here:

http://speedtest.thaivisa.com

Can confirm my TT&T Maxnet Premier service was at crawling speed yesterday, this must presumably be why? The service is at slow walking speed today, so hope for further / future improvement. Still, walking slowly is still better than crawling!

APCN2 cable cut cripples connections

A cut in the Asia-Pacific Cable Network 2 (APCN2) undersea submarine cable crippled connection speeds for users in the Asia-Pacific region on Wednesday, particularly in Singapore and the Philippines.

Users were sending updates to local forums and Twitter, complaining of slow connection speeds to sites hosted outside of the region.

According to a notice sent by Malaysian telco, TM Net, the cable fault was traced to segment 7 of the APCN2, which stretches between Shantou, China and Tanshui, Taiwan. TM Net traced the outage to Typhoon Morakot, which hit the region over the weekend.

Additionally, segment 1 of the APCN2 is also currently under repair. Repairs on segment 7 are expected to commence after work on segment 1 is completed.

TM Net said the repairs are expected to be completed by late evening Aug. 13.

Singapore operator, SingTel, confirmed the cable fault in an e-mail to ZDNet Asia, saying the APCN2's consortium members have started restoration works and are diverting Internet traffic to other cable systems. It said the situation is expected to return to "acceptable levels" within the next 24 hours. 

www.zdnetasia.com/news/communications/0,39044192,62056838,00.htm

TOT up in Issan seems ok. Did a Skype vidcon with my kid in the States this morning, clear as a bell. Haven't tried phoning anyone, though....

I had a 2 hour biz meet on-line using Skype yesterday afternoon.

Didn't notice much diff in transfer speeds or vid quality - fingers crossed for all.

rgdz,

Brewsta

I actually have 4273 kbps in download and 275 kbps in upload, so for me it is in fact slightly faster. Now this is to a server in TH.

If I test towards a server in Sweden, then I have 2740 kbps in download and 260 kbps in upload.

I am using True "highspeed" broadband.

Edited by Thpluppen

personally I have TOT (no choice, monopoly in area outside BKK) and it seems 365/24/7 their international connectivity to international sites outside their own country seem to suffer (all the time)

Same....I have no problem'o with TOT conetion... First time for everything...

I actually have 4273 kbps in download and 275 kbps in upload, so for me it is in fact slightly faster. Now this is to a server in TH.

If I test towards a server in Sweden, then I have 2740 kbps in download and 260 kbps in upload.

I am using True "highspeed" broadband.

I get 3.91Mb/s to Thai server, and 3.39Mb/s to a server in Norway, which sounds way to much compared to normal filetransfer or streaming, which i never got speeds even close to that. Just tried a FTP transfer from ftp.uio.no, and got about 135Kb/s. Ping speeds around 400ms, up from 280ms usually.

Seems like transfer speeds is about the same, but ping speeds a bit up ??

Amazing they are still lying cables in the sea, they obviously haven't figured a way to send enough data via satellite.

Unfortunately there are delays and other issues with satellite.

Some people use realtime communications, like skype, live messenger video/calls. For them its a no no.

Ping will go up to 350 easy, means 0.35 seconds delays and then add some more for router hops to the destination :) .

\Mik

One of the maintenance ships on normally on station in Taiwan (C.S.Lodbrog) is in Canada on a special project. So don't expect quick action on any cables in Taiwan area (Japan down to PI). She is due back on station for repairs in mid to late September. It takes her 18 days to transit across the Pacific, then a few days to load the cable and spares kits to to repair cables (in Taichung).Tyco vessels are responsible for repairs out of Keelung in Taiwan at the moment.

I used to have a P2P video stream from Germany. Until two days ago everything was OK. Then the speed droped so that you couldn't watch. And now I can't even connect, sooks like Maxnet has blocked something.

I have 4Mb Maxnet Indy, BKK speed is OK, international droped two days ago.

Edited by Mr.Mr.

Yes youtube almost dead . , @ MAXnet . . . ,

But INT speed are good . , nice to get more then a pay for :)

3mbits premier

539311617.png

It looks that MAXnet is the best ISP in Thai now !

539313958.png

I love MAXnet . . Hope its same good in BKK then here in Pattaya . .

539315039.png

539315833.png

539317081.png

539317760.png

Any Comments ?

Edited by oMega69

Amazing they are still lying cables in the sea, they obviously haven't figured a way to send enough data via satellite.

Due to the laws of physics, there is a large latency involved in transmission via satellite, so it isn't as good for things like voice as are undersea fiber optic cables. If you were making calls from Thailand to North America 20 years ago you would always notice a large delay. These days the delay is fairly undetectable thanks to those undersea cables.

Yes youtube almost dead . , @ MAXnet . . . ,

But INT speed are good . , nice to get more then a pay for :)

3mbits premier

539311617.png

It looks that MAXnet is the best ISP in Thai now !

I love MAXnet . . Hope its same good in BKK then here in Pattaya .

Any Comments ?

This is from the UK, on a package costing less than 2000b:

539429884.png

539430518.png

and the Bangkok result.....

539431095.png

hmmmmm, not so good.

Whilst your speed is good (for Thailand), this just shows what poor value they really are

Another excuse for the terrible Thailand internet (CAT) to blame their incompetence on. I've experienced slower speeds this week, I use BOTH TOT and MAXNET at home for a home office because neither can be relied on. I'm finding that skype works and internet radio streams but gateway access to sites times out. Accessing secure sites is sometimes impossible. Goes up and down like a yo-yo!

I love the TOT family package, promising 4mb for 799 baht, yes you get 4mb in the day but in evening it's usually less than 100kb, cheaper and faster to use GPRS!

And that speedtest.net (as shown above) is the best tester, it records all your test data so you can later take your ISP to the consumer complaints council, which I encourage everyone to do!!

Hello, I made a call from the US to a Bangkok mobile phone on Wednesday night Bangkok time after it took a long time to get a line to Thailand using localphone.com. This compay uses the internet with land lines in the US to give a great price per minute talk time, and the quality of the connection was great after I got through to Thailand. It is possible more people were using their phones to call their mom for mother's day when I tried to call there, but this long distance phone company is hard to beat for low cost and quality. I do not own or get any money from this phone company for full disclosure, and I am only a lucky customer that is happy with their product. Cheers.