Ever Made A Business Meeting With A Thai And They Have Actually Been On Time?

TheVinylMan

Mexicans are also not punctilious. It's ingrained from the times they had no wrist watches, and peasants could not control travel times. I heard similar for Greeks and Italians. Max Weber might relate us to the Buddhist Protestant Work Ethic.

Ho about people from Poland? Are they punctual but they tend to get lost a lot? Or Jews? Too cheap to take a taxi? Always late. etc

In all fairness If we are going to be insulting nationalities, we must be all inclusive :)

I can go one stage further, i know of a buisnessman for a very large company that flew from the uk for a 2 day meeting with a large thai company, all pre aranged, when he got there 3 of the directors didnt even show, they just smiled and said they go holiday,.hence he took the company business elsewhere ( vietnam ) and we are talking a lot of money, dont ever try to compare thai values to us from the west, it it non existant,.

I didn't mean to insult; lateness can be universal. A buddy has appointments with numerous free-lance prostitutes. At his prices, they show up on time.

Hi PeaceBlondie

I am sure that you did not mean to insult, I have read some of your other posts and I know that, it is not your M.O.

I also did not mean to imply that you meant to insult, though….. that is exactly what I did.

I must confess it was a cranky reply on my part . But In the history of human communications The internet is a unique medium, in that it is universally accessible, and irreversible , once the send buttons is pressed and the post is out there, it is there for the ages, acquiring a life of it’s own , and becoming immediately available to any one who does a search For the words contain their in. And for ever being attached to the person writing it .

When writing a post for an individual or a small group of people. We certainly want to be careful not to inflict injury to their sensibilities, we don’t want to hurt their feelings and we certainly don’t want them mad at as. When we are writing about a nation or in our case several, we must be double careful because we could hurt the feelings and reputation of millions of people,

and,, if nothing else .

we certainly don’t want the Italians Mad at as. :)

I think your intent was to illustrate that , lateness is not a Thai trait, but as you later stated a universal trait

I think the initial post would have being more affective if it did not include specific examples as they tend to distract from the universality of the illustration.

I Know, I know ,,,, I know what you are thinking, “ Lighten Up Dude “

Sorry I got short with you, you meant well, I always get cranky when I read “ Thai bashing”. I have traveled all over the world, and nowhere have I met people more wonderful than the Thai people.

Chears