My Family Got Scammed For More Than 200000 Baht

kriswillems

My Thai family bought, when I was not at home, several MRET machines.

These machines claim to "activate" water.

Each machine costs more than 40000B.

I am an electronics engineer with more than 10 years experience.

The total value of electronics components in the machine doesn't exceed 20 baht.

The AC/DC adaptor has a value of around 50B.

There's another 50B in plastic in the machine.

Basically the machine does nothing except making a led blink.

Please warn your Thai family not to get cheated the same way.

No, it was not my money. My Thai family is much more rich than I.

They still believe the machines are working, even after I explained them there's nothing inside.

They went to some kind of big meeting with a bogus doctor and a group of pseudo-scientists.

My Thai family wanted to sell the water made by the machines.

Edited by kriswillems

They still believe the machines are working, even after I explained them there's nothing inside.

They went to some kind of big meeting with a bogus doctor and a group of pseudo-scientists.

:)

Well, being Thailand...she might be right. There might be people who will buy it. Isn't "activated water" better than normal water? It's all in the marketing.

Here in Crete there is only one terminal that stores gasoline (petrol for you Brits). Yet every Greek I know believes that the brand of gasoline he uses is better than the others. Since they all come from the same storage tank, there is no possible difference between the brands. But the gasoline stations advertise their own brand, and the advertising convinces the locals.

One is born every minute.

:D

The total value of electronics components in the machine doesn't exceed 20 baht.

Dont know whether to laugh or cry.......

When i read about this I think of alchemy & alchemists in the middle ages ....... surely not.

It's like getting away with selling gold painted lead to a Thai gold dealer .... it just ain't going to happen, and if it did the guy would be the laughing stock of his peers

:D:):D

200000 is a fair sum of money, you would think they would consult with you first, even if it is their money.

but if you are an electronics engineer why didn't your family consult you before spending so much money.

Read again. He wasn't the one who bought them.

A lot of Thai people believe they are superior to farangs, they probably are wondering why the farang engineer is no praising them.

They bought 5 of them?

I keep being drawn back to this thread like a moth to a flame - disbelief I guess.

OP, if your family are spending 200k without speaking to you, their money or yours (is it not the same?), then I think you have bigger issues than magnetic water.

If they believe it works, then it works. My Thai wife buys VERY expensive health tonics. She believes they are great. I believe the sellers are crooks separating my wife from her money.

ADDED - I just hope they are harmless.

Edited by Gary A

but if you are an electronics engineer why didn't your family consult you before spending so much money.

A lot of Thai people believe they are superior to farangs, they probably are wondering why the farang engineer is no praising them.

The folder has a picture of a farang in there (an American Russian or Russian American guy) that is supposed to be a doctor or something similar. He organizes this scam in several countries. He even took a USA patent on his invention.

They got a free ray-blocking device which they glued to their TV. It about 1cmx3 mm big.It is supposed to cost 1000B. The same company also cells devices that are supposed to block the radiation of mobile phones. I can tell you as an electronics engineer, that none of these devices work.

This post is not a joke, you can check all my other posts....

MRET is very poplar in Thailand and they make advertisement on Thai TV.

So, please be warned!

The parents of my wife bought these devices.

The parents of my wife are still using them and really think they work (they don't believe me).

They are patiently waiting and looking at these devices for 30 minutes to see how the LED blinks.

It's so sad.

The problem in Thailand is the huge amount of pseudo-science that is going around here and the general lack of education.

Edited by kriswillems

Byers be aware :) True any where in the world

They bought 5 of them?

Probably got a discount, :D ( why dont i beleive it was not their money ) :)

Lots of Thai people do stooped things. My neighbor across the street just quit a long term good paying job to sell milk. Scammers like to scam Thai people as well as Foreigners. I know one Foreigner in Pattaya that bought this thing that plugs in the wall that suppose to save 33% on your electric bill. He paid 2,000 Baht for this useless item.

Barry

The folder has a picture of a farang in there (an American Russian or Russian American guy) that is supposed to be a doctor or something similar. He organizes this scam in several countries. He even took a USA patent on his invention.

They got a free ray-blocking device which they glued to their TV. It about 1cmx3 mm big.It is supposed to cost 1000B. The same company also cells devices that are supposed to block the radiation of mobile phones. I can tell you as an electronics engineer, that none of these devices work.

So, please be warned!

The parents of my wife are still using them and really think they work (they don't believe me).

They are patiently waiting and looking at these devices for 30 minutes to see how the LED blinks.

It's so sad.

The problem in Thailand is the huge amount of pseudo-science that is going around here and the general lack of education.

Hmmmm, I have a drawer full of LEDs and other small componantry....I wonder what I could solder together that will sell. :) How about a bad karma force field shield generator? Silent but effectively blocks all ghosts and bad karma. You need four, one in each corner of the house.

Investors? Anybody interested.....I'll design the units, you market them.

So, please be warned!

It's so sad.

Hmmmm, I have a drawer full of LEDs and other small componantry....I wonder what I could solder together that will sell. :) How about a bad karma force field shield generator? Silent but effectively blocks all ghosts and bad karma. You need four, one in each corner of the house.

Investors? Anybody interested.....I'll design the units, you market them.

Of course, the device must make a boooiiIIING sound every now and then.

So, please be warned!

It's so sad.

While the warning is appreciable.... it IS scientifically verifiable that placebo's often work. :)

If your Thai family is rich and has been scammed out of 200000 Baht, you may well find there is another story that you are not privy to.

e.g. the 200000 is a bribe and the machines are the cover story for the bribe. You may think you are a trusted member of the family but there are some things the farang does not need to know.

Or alternatively if it is true, they will most likely arrange the murder of the scammer to avoid being seen as 'mugs' in the local business community.