Living In Thailand

jonik

How much money would you say you'll need to use on a daily base in thailand.

Owning your own condoe at about 40m2 and a normal car . :o

Estimates on this will range from 42 baht and 50 satang per day to no less than 400,000 baht per month assuming you don't want to sleep with the soi dogs.

Would 20-30 million tbt be enough to retire on at 52 Hsbc are offering 8% now.

Just wondering.

Depends on how old you are when you go into retirement.

30 million would be more than enough if you're 50 or better. :o

I could live like Hugh Hefner on 133,000 baht a month! Then again, I don't drink much, I eat like a Thai on the street, rarely eat Western food, and don't need much in the material possession department. Heck, I lived pretty good on about 50-60,000 baht a month for a while and I was partying it up.

Put 20 in the bank and loan out the other 10 at about 5% a month, for a revenue target of around 500k Baht a month. You'd probably only be able to collect about 300,000 Baht of that a month, but would probably be enough to barely get by on if you don't eat out every night. Recession proof as well.

:o

I am not sure what the point is of fixating on a specific investment.

Any individual that has a massive pool of capitol has the ability to invest in a diversified pool of assets (stocks, bonds, real estate, different currencies and countries) and be assured of a good living.

Historically, 8 percent returns on average would be more than doable.

Some years, there would be losses, and some years a much greater return than 8 percent. Talking about average returns over the long term.

The key points being having a massive enough pool of money and the discipline to figure out what is a reasonably safe percentage to withdrawal every year. In this scenario it would be important to also not withdraw too little, unless you fancy a solid gold coffin.

Edited by Thaiquila

It is probably a good idea to lock up a sum of money in a long term investment bond or similar product. If you reckon the min. you need to live on is Bt40K/month take out a Bt12mil. bond over 10 years - your return will probably be in the region of 4.5-5%.

Any money you have over and above that can be used for more risky investments - or more fun.

You should be able to live on the sums you talk of without depleting the capital for many years to come. HSBC does have some good products, not least the facility to hold many different currencies in your account. The drawback is that they only have the one branch - and that is in Bkk.

I cant believe some of the responses to this thread, you guys must be buying gold everyday and eating at the Sheraton for all of your meals. :o

My estimation would be, 50 thousand a month is plenty and that is still going out for great meals and a pissup once in a while. I live well under this and I dont have a budget that I cling to. Up north you can probably live on 20k easily.

My estimation would be, 50 thousand a month is plenty and that is still going out for great meals and a pissup once in a while. I live well under this and I dont have a budget that I cling to. Up north you can probably live on 20k easily.

Anyone living on about this amount care to break it down into categories such as housing, groceries, dining out, utilities, occasional 'piss up', transport, etc?

That might be more helpful than just publishing gross totals....

8% of 20MB = 133K/month, comfortably doable but you won't live a life in luxury.

I would say that's enough to be pretty comfortable, but never touch your capital, just live on the interest. And keep a year's worth (1,000,000 THB / £13,000) available quickly (but in the UK, earning interest) for emergencies.

Anyone living on about this amount care to break it down into categories such as housing, groceries, dining out, utilities, occasional 'piss up', transport, etc?

That might be more helpful than just publishing gross totals....

Have a look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...=cost+of+living

- lots of topics on the cost of living in Thialand :o .

8% of 20MB = 133K/month, comfortably doable but you won't live a life in luxury.

I disagree, I would live a life of PURE luxury if I had even half of that per month.

I expect he's dishing out half that to his significant other, Neeranam. :o