Give Me One Good Reason?

Is there in KPG any luxury development??

good point...which "luxury developmentS" on KPNG??? :)

And in any event, this about the least threatened KPNG and Samui have been by any such over development in many years...any that are building are sure are not selling and the rest aint even building. That combined with the absence of half the usual tourists have made the islands most pleasent they they have been in years...I'd be savouring that for now. Oh forgot, I am :D

Guys, my point is:

1. isn't there enought building going on?

2. is it good for the island itself?

3. does KPG have enough sweet water to support a pool on each house?

4. where are the people who love to live here and, don't just want to make a quick buck?

5.greed by both, locals and land developers ist disgusting, isn't it?

6. why doesn't anybody learn from mistakes made somewhere already (ex. samui)?

7. does anybody realy wants to live here after all the developers just f...ed the island up?

before it was a nice comunity here, and now there are just thugs with too much money and no caracter at all!

money is to be made, no matter what happend to , what was once , one of the nicest places on earth.....

just a thought!

so give me a reason WHY we need greedy land developers here?

think!

cheers

frank

ONE good reason, why we need all these luxury land developments on KPG...

So I will have some place to stay when I go there. You don't expect me to stay in the claptrap, fleabag hotel/resorts that are festering across that beautiful island like carbuncles, do you?

Guys, my point is:

1. isn't there enought building going on?

2. is it good for the island itself?

3. does KPG have enough sweet water to support a pool on each house?

4. where are the people who love to live here and, don't just want to make a quick buck?

5.greed by both, locals and land developers ist disgusting, isn't it?

6. why doesn't anybody learn from mistakes made somewhere already (ex. samui)?

7. does anybody realy wants to live here after all the developers just f...ed the island up?

before it was a nice comunity here, and now there are just thugs with too much money and no caracter at all!

money is to be made, no matter what happend to , what was once , one of the nicest places on earth.....

just a thought!

so give me a reason WHY we need greedy land developers here?

think!

cheers

frank

agree! :)

ONE good reason, why we need all these luxury land developments on KPG...

So I will have some place to stay when I go there. You don't expect me to stay in the claptrap, fleabag hotel/resorts that are festering across that beautiful island like carbuncles, do you?

and...agree too :)

My friend its what we do as human beings.... find a nice place and just build build build

but agree with earlier posts that for the forseable future development should slow right down with drop in tourists

Please lets keep KPG as it is...

Oddly, in all these years, I had never been to Had Rin until this last month. I drove there and was surprised at those very steep hills and never realized what a <deleted> hole it is. Boy, if that's a model of "keep it as it is," I'd pass.

Please lets keep KPG as it is...

Oddly, in all these years, I had never been to Had Rin until this last month. I drove there and was surprised at those very steep hills and never realized what a <deleted> hole it is. Boy, if that's a model of "keep it as it is," I'd pass.

Most expats living here hardly ever go to Had Rin; it is a world away from the rest of the island. It serves it's purpose though, the FMP is a hugely positive experience for 99.9% of the youngsters it is intended for. I can only wish I had discovered it in my early years :)

Oh BTW, the horribly steep roads are actually a thrill and great ride if you know what you are doing.

Edited by ParadiseLost

So landowners on KPG shouldn't do anything with their land so that a few hippies can pretend it's 1990? Uh-huh. But I do agree they should learn from Samui's mistakes. The airport shouldn't be built by an airline that will control it and charge high prices. The roads should be proper asphalt and wider and proper drains and a sewage plant should be built, etc, etc.

Please lets keep KPG as it is....wonderful place does need need any more development...learn from Samuis mistakes

Why not revert back to how it used to be, knock down ALL the buildings send all the farangs back to where they came from and let the locals get back to catching fish and growing coconuts.

Unfortunately living in a tourist destination means ever expanding development to attract more foreign visitors to bring in more of the foreign money. If you dont like it go live somewhere that tourists dont want to go, try Somalia, sure land is pretty cheap there :) .

Let the development continue but agreed lets make sure lessons have been learned and keep it in character and perspective with the surroundings.

If you dont like it go live somewhere that tourists dont want to go, try Somalia, sure land is pretty cheap there :) .

Come on- you know that even if you ended up visiting the place and it was an empty, unspoiled paradise (at least to your eyes), some backpacker/hippie-wannabe would be there to tell you that you should have seen the place ten years ago, before it was spoiled by tourism- they always have to make you feel like you missed out on seeing the "real deal". :D

Nice comments so far,

but nobody gave me a good reason, why we should overdevelope our island like samui.

Is it just, that some greedy land developers can make a quick buck,

and after they <deleted>..ed our island up they can go somewhere else and do it all over again???

Tell me , is that the good reason???

If you dont like it go live somewhere that tourists dont want to go, try Somalia, sure land is pretty cheap there :) .

Come on- you know that even if you ended up visiting the place and it was an empty, unspoiled paradise (at least to your eyes), some backpacker/hippie-wannabe would be there to tell you that you should have seen the place ten years ago, before it was spoiled by tourism- they always have to make you feel like you missed out on seeing the "real deal". :D

You should have been there ten years ago, before it was spoiled by tourism

op: profit is the correct answer to your question, which you know already and you can do nothing to stop that, except buying the whole place yourself and keep it as you wish..

Edited by Birdman

Nice comments so far,

but nobody gave me a good reason, why we should overdevelope our island like samui.

and after they <deleted>..ed our island up they can go somewhere else and do it all over again???

Our island? Talk to your greedy Thai relatives and neighbors and ask why they want to sell their land to greedy developers in the first place. Should these local people have be stuck fishing and collecting coconuts for generations simply to fit into someone else's idea of paradise? I understand where you're coming from about wanting to keep it the way you've come to know and love (and it probably would be nice) but if that comes at denying locals the opportunity to improve their lives if they so choose I'm against it. Farang might think it quaint that they live in shacks with dirt floors but I'm sure they'd like to have better. It reminds me of that Cameron Diaz show on MTV where she was talking about how cool it was that this one family was living in a hut made of dung. Her heart might be in the right place but where was she keeping her brain?

Edited by koheesti

Mankind has an insatiable urge to consume and destroy everything on his path to oblivion.

And when all is done and there is nothing left to devour, it will turn on itself for the final feast.

Mankind has an insatiable urge to consume and destroy everything on his path to oblivion.

And when all is done and there is nothing left to devour, it will turn on itself for the final feast.

True, but quite a pointless statement,

Speaking as a fully fledged member of mankind I would like to say, although i might consume, it has never been my intention to destroy anything in my, or, anybody elses path. Quite the opposite.

Should we all appologise for existing? Should people not try to better their lives and those they love by trying to make the most of what they have got?

Many tourists flock to these islands and I think they will continueto do so. Is it not quite understandable why somebody might want to try to make the most of what they have?

Nice comments so far,

Our island? Talk to your greedy Thai relatives and neighbors and ask why they want to sell their land to greedy developers in the first place. Should these local people have be stuck fishing and collecting coconuts for generations simply to fit into someone else's idea of paradise? I understand where you're coming from about wanting to keep it the way you've come to know and love (and it probably would be nice) but if that comes at denying locals the opportunity to improve their lives if they so choose I'm against it. Farang might think it quaint that they live in shacks with dirt floors but I'm sure they'd like to have better. It reminds me of that Cameron Diaz show on MTV where she was talking about how cool it was that this one family was living in a hut made of dung. Her heart might be in the right place but where was she keeping her brain?

Just curious, koheesti, not a criticism but I guess a bit confused by the dichotomy of your post. You post the locals are greedy for selling their land and yet then go on to state that everyone wants to live in a bit of comfort and that its understandable. So, which is it? Are they greedy or do they want to better their lives? Because, at least to me, greedy here implies a bit more than just wanting a better, more comfortable life.

Nice comments so far,

Just curious, koheesti, not a criticism but I guess a bit confused by the dichotomy of your post. You post the locals are greedy for selling their land and yet then go on to state that everyone wants to live in a bit of comfort and that its understandable. So, which is it? Are they greedy or do they want to better their lives? Because, at least to me, greedy here implies a bit more than just wanting a better, more comfortable life.

I think this has been a debate since the inception of this forum.The way I look at it, the locals selling their land to better themselves, are in a totally different category then the local wheelers & dealers that pry on the unsuspecting land holders & acquiring the land at a nominal price ( large by their standards) , the rest is history.

I'd rather hear what koheesti says instead of Rooo speaking for him.

It would be nice if there was some thoughtful central planning or committee of review when it comes to urban/paradise sprawl.

On the subject of social responsibility and being the "stewards of the planet," my feeling is that I am at the top of the evolutionary heap and as such, the world is mine to do with what I want. Even without that silly evolution thing, there is THE WORD:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Are to argue the toss with the Big Man?

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Gulp :)

In my opinion in KPG the problem is not related to the estate developments, nearly inexistents, but the big bunch of new hotels, resorts and, most of all, the many clonated shop/house along the roads of the island.

Said that, the influencial, rich people of KPG just think to make money with more buildings, without any care for the tourists, the environment and the community structures (lights, roads, aesthetic).

I think the local administrators just think the tourist in the island are an inexhaustible resource, only ready to be milked as much as possible (cops, motorbike damages, low quality food and accomodation, etc). Already the internet feedback of KPG is very negative and this year the number of tourists is going down, not only for the economical crisis.

Who is the target group of the developers? Package tourists have everything already on Samui. Additionally to that they do not have to take again bus/ferry/bus to the resorts. Backpackers will stay away sooner or later.

So, there are only the ex backpackers left, who can pay for a nice 3 - 5 star resort and tourists, who would like to relax in PEACEFUL and NATURAL surroundings, with the feeling to be far, far away from everything. Certainly this people will enjoy KPG only, if the infrastructure and the mood of the island is exactly like they expect it.

Nice comments so far,

I should have used the sarcasm emoticon. I don't believe the Thai landowners are necessarily greedy. I believe they have the right to improve their lives by selling their land if they have the opportunity. I wrote about the poster's "Thai relatives and their land" because he wrote KPG was "our island" so naturally he must be a local.

Two solutions:

1) The land is going to be sold/leased. Developers are the ones buying. If you want to stop he developers, find someone else to buy the land who isn't going to build something you find offensive on it. Maybe organise a fund made up of investors who aren't looking for a financial return (good luck), but will be happy to own a little piece of the island and keeping in its natural state. There used to be a website where you could buy tiny pieces of the Amazon Rain Forest to "keep it safe" just by clicking on ads. Maybe it could work something like that.

2) Build a big wall across the island like on Skull Island, home of King Kong. Keep all the resorts on one side. On the other bring in a giant gorilla to eat the developers or anyone else who tries to cross over. He could be trained to leave alone the small groups of eco-friendly tourists and hippies who do no damage to KPG. Or at least let those groups believe they are safe and let the world watch via strategically placed webcams what happens when you dare soil the pristine environment of the island.

Hippies discover and enjoy all the islands you stay and complain now. Then move to another more pristine place. And so on.

The problem is that some kind of clever businessman follow the hippies trails to open development due to the always good hippies choices on locations.

But where hippies stay now is a well kept secret. If you want to know you must deeply change your look, grow your own smelly dreadlocks and start to use some illegal substance. Otherways you will be considered a not so well done plainclothes cop.

:)