Winding Device For Automatic Watch

john b good

I have several automatic watches and am finding that it is not possible to keep them all wound.

"please no suggestions such as putting the watch on my right wrist and just move my hand faster :D

I went to the big watch shop on Thapae Road just west of the Bangkok Bank (which I have recommended a number of times here on TV)

They didn't have one, the girls spoke zero English and I couldn't get through to them in 'my Thai'

They said that they would order from Bangkok (in spite of them not understanding what I wanted) I said OK please show me a catalogue. "sorry no catalogue"

So here they were, expecting a deposit from me, and they would order some thing they didn't know anything about (and which I didn't know I would be getting.

The question "has anyone seen these things where you can put 3 - 4 watches in" switch them on and you have fully would watches ready for the road??? :)

Even a winder for one or two watches would get me by.

Edited by john b good

That's true, the one bad thing about that shop is that it seems not one of the employees speaks a single word of English. In all other respects they are really good.

I have a comparable problem and need good advice, so please don't think I'm going off topic.

Where - if anywhere - in Chiang Mai is there a good HONEST horologist who can clean, service and make one minor repair to 2 quality Swiss watches from the early 60's?

I am terrified that some adept conjuror will change the movements for Citizen units which might last 2 years and rob the items of all value.

One close friend here sent his much-valued classic timepiece to Bkk via a counter in the Robinson section of Airport Plaza. Good clean, service, oil change, filters etc for 7,000b and a 2 week absence, and no complaints. OK, but i do not really want to lose sight of mine.

Any good, personal, local recommendations much appreciated!

That's true, the one bad thing about that shop is that it seems not one of the employees speaks a single word of English. In all other respects they are really good.

I have a comparable problem and need good advice, so please don't think I'm going off topic.

Where - if anywhere - in Chiang Mai is there a good HONEST horologist who can clean, service and make one minor repair to 2 quality Swiss watches from the early 60's?

I am terrified that some adept conjuror will change the movements for Citizen units which might last 2 years and rob the items of all value.

One close friend here sent his much-valued classic timepiece to Bkk via a counter in the Robinson section of Airport Plaza. Good clean, service, oil change, filters etc for 7,000b and a 2 week absence, and no complaints. OK, but i do not really want to lose sight of mine.

Any good, personal, local recommendations much appreciated!

What I would recommend is that you bring a Thai friend with you to that shop to translate for you. Charoensilpa I think is their name. I had them restore 5 classic Swiss watches from the 1930's-1960's for me; including cleaning, oiling, and polishing the crystals. They were all Omega and Tissot. They did an excellent job and provided a six-month warranty card for each watch. They have an office in Bangkok with a large inventory of parts and the master technician works here some days and works in Bangkok other days. They were able to provide all the parts except for one watch which they had to order from Switzerland which took many weeks. The other 4 watches were ready in about ten days. Cost: 2900 Baht per watch including all parts and 200/each to polish the crystals.

I can understand your concern about not wanting to "lose sight" of your watch. But I don't think that you will find anyone who will do the work on the spot.

I might add that I checked all serial numbers on the cases and the movements when I got them back and all were the same ones I went in there with.

Edited by elektrified

the singapore airlines inflight shopping catalogue has these watchwinding boxes for sale. you can probably find it online and order one from there.

Thank you for the suggestion.

To 'Flatouthruthefog' I would still recommed that same shop (on Thapae Road) as being the best for watch repair, new batteries, etc.

They have to be the best in Chiang Mai and as 'elektrified' said he has had a good and satisfying experience there too.

The problem is that they just cannot understand a word of English which, is not uncommon here in the realm.

I did speak to a girl yesterday who is studying English at CMU and who topped up my "one2Call" her English was very good.

But she is the exception rather than the rule. :)

i just phoned the company and the cabinet for 2 watches is 8000 baht and the one that holds 4 watches is 15000 baht.

Thanks for that but they are available for around US$70.00 on the web search I did (not in Thailand) At around US$ 500.00 I better get out and do some exercise :)

Another good watch shop, where the owner/manager speaks pretty good English (I taught him at the British Council many moons ago), is just on the corner of Chang Moi Rd and the left turn to go past Kasem store. On the right as you turn left. Sorry, can't remember the name.

CMMCB

Another good watch shop, where the owner/manager speaks pretty good English (I taught him at the British Council many moons ago), is just on the corner of Chang Moi Rd and the left turn to go past Kasem store. On the right as you turn left. Sorry, can't remember the name.

CMMCB

Thanks, I will follow up this lead.

I downloaded the http://www.lannatrips.com/chamchuree/productlist.html web site and so I thank you "chokrai" for that info.

I went looking for the place today but got distracted. I will try again in the next day or so.

I don't really need the model that they have on their web page that takes 40 watches :)

Ya i think the prices are a bit much. I have two automatic watches but dont think i want to pay those kind of prices for a winder.I guess you could buy the basic one somewhere and get someone to make you a nice teak case for it for a lot cheaper.I might go out there and have a look myself one day though.