New To Suvarnabhumi And Balking At Food Prices?

relayer

Just a helpful tip for all you weary, hungry travelers out there who may find yourselves stumbling into Suewannaboom for the first time and bewildered by all the food choices -- not to mention shocked by all the exorbitant prices!

Well here's your simple solution: starting from Level 3, take the elevator to Level 1 (it doesn't stop at Level 2 so you have to board it on Level 3), veer off to your left and walk down to the end until you see the entrance to the food court (the Airport Express bus ticket and information counter will be right outside the main doors). Here's where all the locals and in-the-know travelers eat. You can scarf out here for what it might cost you for one sandwich upstairs!

If you're new to this food court concept, the first thing you do is walk around and peruse the different food offerings while getting a running total of the cost of your choices. Then go back to the front desk and hand them the total in baht. They will then hand you credit slips totaling that amount. Then go back and order your food items at the different stalls, paying with the credit slips. If you overshoot, they will redeem your excess credits back into baht for you before you leave. This is all standard procedure at practically every food court in Thailand.

I always eat there when I'm passing through Suewannaboom and the place is always packed. And the food never disappoints, either.

Check it out!

Edited by sabaijai
spellng correction
  • Like 1

50Bt......and the place is called Magic Food...been using it since the airport opened...but dont tell everyone or else it might vanish :)

Agree upstairs food joints are Rip Offs although Airside BC Coffee also does a reasonable Heinee

I think that you might want to (or should) get your spelling ability up to snuff before you make any new posts :D

Are you really talkimg about the place where they have some airplanes landing and taking off or is it some place where people with dyslexia want to write about, just to get a few posts up :)

Edited by john b good

I think that you might want to (or should) get your spelling ability up to snuff before you make any new posts :D Are you really talkimg about the place where they have some airplanes landing and taking off or is it some place where people with dyslexia want to write about, just to get a few posts up :)

I don't think anybody understands what you mean.

But if you're referring to my spelling of the airport, that's how it's actually pronounced (but you knew that).

Just a helpful tip for all you weary, hungry travelers out there who may find yourselves stumbling into Suewannaboom for the first time and bewildered by all the food choices -- not to mention shocked by all the exorbitant prices!

Notwithstanding JohnBGood's silly remarks about spelling/phonetics (there MUST be another forum for "spelling-Morons") what an excellent piece of useful information, Relayer; I've been through there many times and you have told me something I (and I'm sure many others) did not know: THANK YOU !

:)

JGK/Satahip

But if you're referring to my spelling of the airport, that's how it's actually pronounced (but you knew that).

I'm not a spelling Nazi (although some things do irk), but the problem with using a non-standard spelling is that you post will not be found by search engines, so once it's off the first page your valuable information will miss out on many potential viewers :)

Official anglisized spelling, daft though it may be, is Suvarnabhumi :D

50Bt......and the place is called Magic Food...been using it since the airport opened...but dont tell everyone or else it might vanish :)

Agree upstairs food joints are Rip Offs although Airside BC Coffee also does a reasonable Heinee

I've seen the beer prices airside range from 55 Baht to 100 Baht for a can of Chang, 65 Baht to 100 Baht for a Heinekin, so it pays to look around.

I've seen the beer prices airside range from 55 Baht to 100 Baht for a can of Chang, 65 Baht to 100 Baht for a Heinekin, so it pays to look around.

Family Mart airside sell tins of Chang for 25 baht including drinking straw and plastic bag.

I'm not a spelling Nazi (although some things do irk), but the problem with using a non-standard spelling is that you post will not be found by search engines, so once it's off the first page your valuable information will miss out on many potential viewers :) Official anglisized spelling, daft though it may be, is Suvarnabhumi :D

Good point.

Always best to at least include the proper spelling somewhere in the post along with the slang.

(I bet JBG knew that, too...)

Thanks

I was getting sick of the open air stalls selling 3 tasteless curries whilst being bombarded with guano by the sparrows.

I knew the thousands of Thais that work there had to have their secret food centre somewhere.

I think that you might want to (or should) get your spelling ability up to snuff before you make any new posts :D

Are you really talkimg about the place where they have some airplanes landing and taking off or is it some place where people with dyslexia want to write about, just to get a few posts up :)

Pot. Kettle. Black. :D

THE MAGIC FOOD POINT........ near gate 8, ground level.

OPEN ALL HOURS.........lol

Nothing fancy, one place sells passable coffee but not open late.

I have never seen alcohol sold there in my visits, many since it opened.

With experience, you will find some excellent food, single visit you will have pot luck.

Nothing expensive, nothing bad, all reasonable, good feed for less than 100B.

Late nite, a few counters close.

It is basically a staff cafe, there was, possibly still is, one at Don Muang.

Enter the side door near gate 8, turn hard left for the coupon counter, which are stapled in 100Baht packs.

Any unused are refundable on the day, beware if you are there a round midnite, do not hang around too long, cash in leftovers.

Never had a problem yet.

Happy eating.

Edited by Zpete

if it's spellchecking you're after....it's 'talking' not talkimg and 'aeroplanes' not airplanes. These are actual English words as well not transliterations from Thai. I'll admit that Americans regularly mis-spell many words and have standardised such mis-spelling and claim it to be correct but the language is called English after all is said and done so if you want to pick up on people's spelling where would you like to start?

So if you are there after midnight your coupons are voided??? Can you still use them?

As I said, if you are there about that time, cash in your left over coupons, and then eat..

They don't shut them off on the dot, lotta leeway.

Edited by Zpete

• 2 weeks later...
I've used the food court a few times and its cheap and cheerful. Will never eat air/land side again. Usual stuff.....curries, nooden( :) ), rice dishes etc for 30B or so per dish.

If you walk straight to the back and turn right, there is a stall that has 'har mok' - that steamed-in-a-banana-leaf red-curry-seafood egg-custard type of thingy (one of my favourite Thai dishes). Quite good too...

I've used the food court a few times and its cheap and cheerful. Will never eat air/land side again. Usual stuff.....curries, nooden( :) ), rice dishes etc for 30B or so per dish.

And plenty of ice cold Leo/Singha/Heineken available. As you walk in the main door to the cafe, keep going straight to the far wall, where you will find the drinks counter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for that.

Used the one at Don Muang in the corridor between domestic and int'l for years.

This and being able to take a bottle of water on the plane again make progress a little more acceptable.

Is one really allowed to take a bottle of water thru' all the checks and onto an aircraft?

I never bother, refill empty bottle airside and on board.

Plenty of water on Thai flites, being offered alla time, juice too.

Well here's your simple solution: starting from Level 3, take the elevator to Level 1 (it doesn't stop at Level 2 so you have to board it on Level 3), veer off to your left and walk down to the end until you see the entrance to the food court (the Airport Express bus ticket and information counter will be right outside the main doors). Here's where all the locals and in-the-know travelers eat. You can scarf out here for what it might cost you for one sandwich upstairs!

If you're new to this food court concept, the first thing you do is walk around and peruse the different food offerings while getting a running total of the cost of your choices. Then go back to the front desk and hand them the total in baht. They will then hand you credit slips totaling that amount. Then go back and order your food items at the different stalls, paying with the credit slips. If you overshoot, they will redeem your excess credits back into baht for you before you leave. This is all standard procedure at practically every food court in Thailand.

I always eat there when I'm passing through Suewannaboom and the place is always packed. And the food never disappoints, either.

Check it out!

I agree 100%. When waiting for my BELL bus to Pattaya, I just walk out the door, take a left and go to the end. Great food court. Much better than the ones I have been in at Carre 4. I look forward to landing at BKK, smiling as my holiday starts, taking a liesurely 100 baht lunch there for water, and the noodles and duck then heading down to the beach. If you go there, you will see many many stewardess and airport clerks and attendants eating there. It is good and on the inexpensive side for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tip, I've been using the place since it opened and never knew it was there. But then, I usually try to spend as little time there as possible. :)

Oh, and don't worry about anyone taking you to task for spelling/typos, most people just bang their ideas out, without getting hung up over the odd spelling or syntactical error.