More Samui Elections ?

my missus told me this a few weeks ago, apparantly the democrat mp in surratthani hence Samui the infamous Suthep has had to step down and his brother is taking his place in the election. she also said it was the 30th, all this from thai tv but i have seen nothing here yet. but it comes from a reliable source as in tv.

you will know in time!

My wife got her voting papers today, and yes its on the 30th meaning no alcohol sales again on the 29th saturday, 2 buddhist days last month and 2 elections this month, some bars are finding it hard as it is, and I hear the new elections are because Suthep has been demoted because he did'nt reveal he had a conflict of interests which he put in his wifes name.

my missus told me this a few weeks ago, apparantly the democrat mp in surratthani hence Samui the infamous Suthep has had to step down and his brother is taking his place in the election. she also said it was the 30th

Right, deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban (สุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ) has resigned his parliament seat as he had stakes of media or companies working under government licenses The Nation. The by-election to fill the vacancy in parliament will be on August 30. His brother Thani (ธานี เทือกสุบรรณ) - who had to resign his post as PAO chairman earlier this year due to election fraud - will run as the candidate for the Democratic Party. However this time the constituency may not be a save win for the Democrats - another Thaugsuban family member just recently failed in the PAO chairman by-election, and the Phuea Thai party has nominated a quite notably candidate as well, Sompon Vichaidit.

my missus told me this a few weeks ago, apparantly the democrat mp in surratthani hence Samui the infamous Suthep has had to step down and his brother is taking his place in the election. she also said it was the 30th

Right, deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban (สุเทพ เทือกสุบรรณ) has resigned his parliament seat as he had stakes of media or companies working under government licenses The Nation. The by-election to fill the vacancy in parliament will be on August 30. His brother Thani (ธานี เทือกสุบรรณ) - who had to resign his post as PAO chairman earlier this year due to election fraud - will run as the candidate for the Democratic Party. However this time the constituency may not be a save win for the Democrats - another Thaugsuban family member just recently failed in the PAO chairman by-election, and the Phuea Thai party has nominated a quite notably candidate as well, Sompon Vichaidit.

Many bars and restaurants in Chaweng got letters from the police yesterday telling them they cannot sell alcohol on the 21st 22nd 23rd 29th and the 30th, are these people crazy, the letter was from the ampoer and basically said that 1 week before the election anyone from Surat but living else where in the country had to come back and vote hence the 3 dry days, remember that the only reason that the elections are taking part again is because of the corruption of the people already elected. This is going to kill some of Samui's bars, 2 Buddhists days last month, mothers day and 6 election days this month, to add insult to injury the tax inspectors have been going round this last week.I can still remember 16-17 years ago when a new police chief would come on the island trying to stamp his authority, all the bars and night clubs would get together and make a convoy of pickup trucks and head for Nathon, the next day he would leave the island, maybe everyone should make a stand and not close this weekend, next weekend o.k its election time,try telling tourists they can't get a drink for a week and point in the direction of Phukhet as it seems our politicians don't want them.

Always wondering how much for some TV people is important the sale (and the ban) of the alcohol.

I understand for who run an alcohol related business, but for a simple tourist or resident?

Just stay dry a while!

Always wondering how much for some TV people is important the sale (and the ban) of the alcohol.

I understand for who run an alcohol related business, but for a simple tourist or resident?

Just stay dry a while!

And for a tourist that is here for 14 days of party?

Shall we tell them that this is a local election and risk them going another place?

Just stay dry a while!

Shall we tell them that this is a local election and risk them going another place?

If this is so relevant to a business survival, well what can I say. Change all local rules & regulations to suit tourists & Bar owners. :) If they can not factor in religious days & sundry local elections, maybe they should not be in business.

As for the tourist on a 14 day binge, I'm sure they will be accommodated somewhere.

Just stay dry a while!

If this is so relevant to a business survival, well what can I say. Change all local rules & regulations to suit tourists & Bar owners. :) If they can not factor in religious days & sundry local elections, maybe they should not be in business.

As for the tourist on a 14 day binge, I'm sure they will be accommodated somewhere.

Its not a 14 day binge but maybe a holiday that people have been saving up for most of the year, night clubs will be closed and entertainment places, nothing much to do for nearly 5 days of their 14, sometimes people on this web site seem to forget that this island runs on tourism, even the prime minister when lobbyists tried to ban alcohol over the songkran period said he was not prepared to do this as he felt tourism had already been hurt too much, maybe if we gave tourists a forewarning then they can go somewhere else in Thailand and not bother us on our island, spend their money elsewhere.

As Rooo pointed out there are always places to get a drink at beach bars or hotels.

I have not heard of any bars closing in Bophut so its business as usual here!

:)

wait and see, its not just the drink ,its places being closed where you enjoy yourself. Is there a way we can point all tourists to Bophut ?

my mates arrives today(5 guys). last time they were here was 18 months ago and they loved it. They saved all year for this 10 day break from the rat race back in Oz. They ain't gonna enjoy this break so much. 5 out of 10 days they can let their hair down. The other days well ...... Totally and completely ridiculous laws. Let the tourists do what tourists do !!

Still wondering why fun must always be alcohol-related.

BTW you can find alcohol everywhere when the ban is applied.

They saved all year for this 10 day break from the rat race back in Oz. They ain't gonna enjoy this break so much. 5 out of 10 days they can let their hair down

sigh sigh :)

Still wondering why fun must always be alcohol-related.

BTW you can find alcohol everywhere when the ban is applied.

They saved all year for this 10 day break from the rat race back in Oz. They ain't gonna enjoy this break so much. 5 out of 10 days they can let their hair down

sigh sigh :)

you live here, their on holiday, some people go to the Green Mango and not drink, The Caberet shows, to see the show, if they can't serve drink they are'nt going to open.When they go home after their 10 day break, you'll still be here buying yourself a drink if you wanted to, like I said before if we had more advanced warning we could tell them and see if they wanted to go somewhere else.there is anoter topic on Thai visa talking more about the ALCOHOL ban maybe you should quote on that one.