English Spoken Here

maerim

A notice in the Pattaya Mail that you and your wife had suddenly leaped from a top floor balcony of a very tall building for no reason whatsoever.....lol (probability unknown)

Good job then we live in a bungalow in Chiang Mai.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!  But it's called AW_SIAM and it's here:

http://www.weygandt.de/aw_siam.htm

Thanks, chanchao

I have been looking for something like this for ages, asked all my Thai designer friends, and found nich.

Have had to resort to doing my own, but it is still incomplete (doing characters as I need them, still no Q Z etc.), and not yet in truetype etc, nor is it likely to be now.

Saved me a lot of hassle

Ta

B

• 5 weeks later...
Cool!  But it's called AW_SIAM and it's here:

http://www.weygandt.de/aw_siam.htm

As I'm able to read both Thai and English equally well, this font got me all cross-eyed! :o Trying to tell myself that it's English, but the Thai part of my brain keeps "recognizing" the Thai characters! (Kind of like when you're looking at an optical illusion.)

For 2500 baht, it sounds like a pretty big sign..

One was 1 meter square the other 3/4 meter square, both now going very cheap.

I only wish there was a sound tax, too
Could not agree more how about 100 baht per decibel above a reasonable level i.e. a level thats leaves the fillings in your teeth intact.

Mind you, dear old Maerim would be lost if there wasn't something to complain about...

Interesting, here they only apply the sign tax to signs on the road, or the main sign for the business, ie with the name of the business on it. Certainly it is not applied to small signs within the business, ie in the restaurant, closing times, specials etc.

I wonder if there is more than meets the eye - perhaps some of the travelers objected to having to buy to be able to use the toilet? Although most of us would try to buy something I would also consider it rather 'over the top' to be faced with such a sign. If not probably just a jealous civil servant.

Lop makes a lot of sense. Goodness .. having to buy a toffee to take a leak. He must be some cheap mofo. Don't think I will shop there again.. :o

She said if my wife wanted to keep the signs up she would have to pay 2,500 baht a year tax, or have them removed by first thing tomorrow, they are down now.

In a couple of suburbs in Sydney where Chinese/Hong Kong people have opened many shops. I believe the councils have forced them to have english with their chinese signs. Although I'm talking about the name of the shop rather then just advertising.

A problem was apparently couriers couldn't find businesses with names in chinese!

Cheers BO

Goodness .. having to buy a toffee to take a leak. He must be some cheap mofo. Don't think I will shop there again

In my considered opinion I always find it amazing that people like you Considered Opinion can be so thick and stupid with just the one head.

Do you live here or are you another expert on Thailand after two weeks in Pattaya?

As for you not shopping at my wifes shop again ( you know the cheap MFO) we will just have to live with that won't we.

Even if you did lash out your 20 baht you would not get to use the toilet as she was sick to death of people like you buying a bottle of water for 5 baht then stealing stuff from the bathroom soap, shampoo and the like.

Why not try out your bargaining skills with my Missus? Her English is excellent but do talk to her like you would an idiot child and try as two fat slags from London did to buy cans of Coke at less than what she buys them for, this always cheers her up.

Or better still dress up as one Swedish bloke did like Indiana Jones with leather hat, large knife in the belt trying to fill his canteen from the water cooler when I asked him what he thought he was doing he said water is free.

Don't bother posting a reply to this as it gives me a headache trying to come down to your level of intelligence.