Brit Arrested With Bogus Banknotes In Phuket

george

But when Thais do the same, they must be doing something wrong, at least according to some know-it-all Brits....your expertise in this is about as good as the chances of England winning Germany in football...ouch. :D

And your Grammar is on a par with a 5 year old. It should be "England beating Germany at football".

I think that England 'won' Germany back in 1945 .....did'nt they . :)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well lets see maybe he did get the notes from a bank in Uk and maybe they were real notes.

Maybe he handed over the real notes to the in the Nakorn Luang Thai Bank and as he was probably unable to track the movements of the notes from the time of handing them over who is to say that he was not a victim of yet another scam in Thailand with the bank replacing his real notes with fakes they had inadvertently taken from another customer.

There is no mention of him posessing any other fake notes or otherwise and as has been posted many times already where did he get the bail money.

This is noy making sense really - I guess another case of tourist or farang beware.

Surely those notes can be traced back through his bank statement and the ATM in the UK ?

, that despite reading so many times that it was claimed the cash was drawn from a bank branch, you still haven't managed to grasp that fact. Nowhere was it claimed that the money came from an ATM.

Meanwhile, police have sent the suspect notes to Bangkok to determine their authenticity.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-08-17

Now wait a minute... the bank notes could be authentic!?!?!?!?

They don't have the ability in Phuket to determine counterfit bank notes???

Posted 300,000 Baht, how and where and why would he have been cashing in British Bank notes??

All very curious... but then TIT... maybe some things are lost in translation...

All banks throughout the world have a book that shows ever note of the world that is negotiable and the security measures of that note - so they will have been checked but just may be very good duds as in UK at the moment there are some near perfect duds going about (the non but bare cut foil is the only way to identify them)

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

Nationwide I can get 500 quid a day out the ATM at the branch 300 other places

Well lets see maybe he did get the notes from a bank in Uk and maybe they were real notes.

Maybe he handed over the real notes to the in the Nakorn Luang Thai Bank and as he was probably unable to track the movements of the notes from the time of handing them over who is to say that he was not a victim of yet another scam in Thailand with the bank replacing his real notes with fakes they had inadvertently taken from another customer.

There is no mention of him posessing any other fake notes or otherwise and as has been posted many times already where did he get the bail money.

This is noy making sense really - I guess another case of tourist or farang beware.

Surely those notes can be traced back through his bank statement and the ATM in the UK ?

that despite reading so many times that it was claimed the cash was drawn from a bank branch, you still haven't managed to grasp that fact. Nowhere was it claimed that the money came from an ATM.

Yes but i was just referring to the other posts on this subject. FYI....i also read and understood the the original press release and yes i could also see that no ATM was mentioned...............geeeeeeez !! duh !!

Maybe you are a bit slow, so i will explain for your express help !

1) Surely they can trace back through his statements if he did in fact withdraw the notes , and the date.

2) If he had withdrawn from an ATM there will be some kind of a traceable record.

that despite reading so many times that it was claimed the cash was drawn from a bank branch, you still haven't managed to grasp that fact. Nowhere was it claimed that the money came from an ATM.

Yes but i was just referring to the other posts on this subject. FYI....i also read and understood the the original press release and yes i could also see that no ATM was mentioned...............geeeeeeez !! duh !!

Maybe you are a bit slow, so i will explain for your express help !

1) Surely they can trace back through his statements if he did in fact withdraw the notes , and the date.

2) If he had withdrawn from an ATM there will be some kind of a traceable record.

So you actually did realise that these notes were not issued by an ATM?

Yet still you ask the question?

"Surely those notes can be traced back through his bank statement and the ATM in the UK ?"

If you accept that the cash was withdrawn from a branch and not an ATM, how would checking ATM records be at all useful?

Which Thai Scheme would this one be? Care to explain to us lesser mortals :)

I agree , this quite possible innocent tourist may simply have been trying to exchange the newly issued British 20 pound note , and the Thai teller did not recognize these and called the police , it would not be too difficult to imagine the Thais making a simple mistake and the whole thing getting blown out of all proportion , as usual !

ebroguy

Hello, this man should get a strong team of attorneys that can access any evidence in England because he is looking at too much time in a Thai prison. Good luck to him, and I hope there is no panic from changing money from farang in Thailand.

The most worrying fact obviously is that he has been arrested and bailed before proven guilty. :D

But even more worrying is this: caught with one or two fake bills, the assumption is that he is a forger and he is treated as one. This could happen to any innocent person here. :)

The most worrying fact obviously is that he has been arrested and bailed before proven guilty. :D

But even more worrying is this: caught with one or two fake bills, the assumption is that he is a forger and he is treated as one. This could happen to any innocent person here. :)

Well, it is worrying that he has been charged, apparently with absolutely no confirmation/indication that

A. The notes are forged

B. If the notes are forgeries, that he did the counterfeiting himself

And yes it does seem that any foreigner unlucky enough to unwittingly try to pass forged notes could well find himself facing a long time on remand, charged with being the actual forger and then and probably a long prison sentence.

The same thing could happen if one of us were unfortunate to be given forged Thai banknotes. Lets face it, a lot of newbie tourists could be given forged Thai money at a dodgy exchange booth and not having handled the money before be easily fooled.

I myself have been nearly fooled by the childrens' play money, it used to be very realistic.

No, would be more worrying if only those already gone through a trial and proclaimed guilty could be arrested... :)

But even more worrying is this: caught with one or two fake bills, the assumption is that he is a forger and he is treated as one. This could happen to any innocent person here. :D

It never said it was one or two bills, right? Might have been the full stack for all we know.

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

he said 'withdraw' and nothing about an ATM!

you guys got it all wrong!

and he didn't say he get it in 1 time either...

and it doesn't say how many of the bills were suspicious...

he might have wired some cash for the bail, ever heard of western union or trnsfers?

Well, it is worrying that he has been charged, apparently with absolutely no confirmation/indication that

A. The notes are forged

And yes it does seem that any foreigner unlucky enough to unwittingly try to pass forged notes could well find himself facing a long time on remand, charged with being the actual forger and then and probably a long prison sentence.

The same thing could happen if one of us were unfortunate to be given forged Thai banknotes. Lets face it, a lot of newbie tourists could be given forged Thai money at a dodgy exchange booth and not having handled the money before be easily fooled.

I myself have been nearly fooled by the childrens' play money, it used to be very realistic.

we just don't know enough details to judge this case...

if you receive a lot of notes through non-bank by a deal like selling a car or such, the chance is large that there are fake bills. it happened to a friend of mine.

i wonder what happens if you go to the police with the bills? will the government replace them? or you just loose..?

or what are we supposed to do?

as far as i know with checking the silver strip on the front of the 1'000 baht bill you can't tell its fake, it's the small one on the back and the elevated '100' on the front which are different. or i guess if you got UV light in your pocket...

In Thailand I have taken out 50k baht in one go on my normal VISA card (was at pantip). Funny one can take out more here per go than back home.

Any idea what bank that machine belonged to ? I thought the ATMs were limited to 25,000 a go.

it depends the bank, the card and your account type.

SCB gives 10'000 a time / 20'000 a day with standard savings account.

Kbank 20'000 a time a day. if you got electronic account 100'000 a day, probably 20'000 a time.

UOB gives 40'000 a day / 20'000 a time.

..and so on....

if you got the Visa Eletron ATM card all is different. mostly 100'000 a day, ATM and shopping with it.

SCB and UOB 100'000 a day (shopping for sure, ATM I am only 90% sure), KBank the same 20'000

If you like to reduce the limit for shopping (because a thief can shop with it to that amount, and they do within hours!) Kbank can reduce it separate from ATM limit, but SCB or UOB will also reduce your ATM limit with the shopping limit.. what you probably not want.

each bank different rules.

Any picture of the man yet?

sure, no problem, are u scared you sold the notes to that guy?? :D

kim-jong-il-smiling.jpg

guess its biggest mistake was not to ask our fellow THAIVISA members before he did try to change the money.....guess all the MI5 and CIA guys here would have told him to try it in Myanmar :)

Anyway, 1500 pound, how long was he planning to stay in Thailand? a week?

A. The notes are forged

Of course they arrest if there is a reasonable suspicion of forgery in EVERY COUNTRY whether it is Switzerland, UK, US or Thailand. Should Thais just let this guy go free and say "we'll call back to you and have a good holiday"?! That is how POLICE works, arresting SUSPECTS.

There are millions of tourists visiting Thailand every year. Of course there are always more than a few dumb-asses who try all kinds of stupid things.

There are millions of tourists visiting Thailand every year. Of course there are always more than a few dumb-asses who try all kinds of stupid things.

RIGHT, we had one guy on the Maldives once, around 35 years ago. He tried to change EAST German money.....and was succesfull....until the police came

interwiewing him two days later :):D :D

A. The notes are forged

Of course they arrest if there is a reasonable suspicion of forgery in EVERY COUNTRY whether it is Switzerland, UK, US or Thailand. Should Thais just let this guy go free and say "we'll call back to you and have a good holiday"?! That is how POLICE works, arresting SUSPECTS.

I think that in most other countries that they would actually confirm that the notes were counterfeit before actually charging someone.

The daily limit, without special authorisation, on most UK ATMs is still £200.00. They do not dispense £20.00 notes. The £20.00 note is acknowledged as being extrememly difficult to forge. They are obtainable only from the tellers inside the bank.

If they are fake, then the man is an idiot to try and change them at any recognised exchange facility.

Surely a misprint. HBOS has been 300 a day for years

I just don't see a guy that age thinking he can bring forged currency into thailand and like a few posters say i smell a scam somewhere not from the poor brit. I also notice the local rag aimed at tourists and locals have also carried it on there front page pity there not that fast at reporting on the murders and shootings, which takes a while if any to reach there page's.

Who withdraws currency and travels to another country to exchange them there? (Forgeries are usually bought locally.)

I withdraw using VISA or (/and) change money at a teller Before flying to another country. But that is me...

Then you get an awful exchange rate..

Much better rates changing pounds to baht here rather then in UK..

Agree. Always got a much better exchange rate in Thailand for £ to Baht (and leftover Baht back to £) than back in Blighty .

not only for Euro or Pound! also other Euro currencies get better exchange rates in TH, and it makes a difference if you change the budget for your stay here.

Every bank has a different rate, and it usually makes another difference which day of the week you change, you can see a 'curve' of raise and fall during a week, mostly the same every week. you can check online before you hit the road.

And the money changers at pratunam Superrich (behind Big C) give another 0.35 to 0.50 but you will not get a receipt if you need that for a visa or paying a condo (transfer receipt). there is a orange and a green superrich, not the same rate. other location's money changers got a worse rate than the bank usually, like sillom etc.

Superrich also got a branch now at BTS station Emporium and i heard Onnut.

If you open a bank account you can transfer and get the TT rate which is better than the Notes rate! the rumor says you need a work permit to open an account but you don't. just check with the main branch if the side branch doesn't believe it. i got several accounts without a work permit, no laws changed or such liars, last one i opened 3 mths ago. they tell this story since 12 years at least, wonder when they ever send out a newsletter to their branches to inform... T.I.T

Feeling cynical today, I comment:

Whats the difference? "real" pound notes are not worth anything more than the paper.

Get real. No matter how much you Brits whinge about your falling currency, pounds are still more valuable than most other currencies.

Perhaps you'd prefer the 34 baht US dollar?

May be he got it as small change in notorious King Power Duty free shop while coming to Thailand. He should contact Srilankan Mr.Tony for his release :)

Hey everyone...before this poor alledged passer of forged notes is found guilty from "trial by forum experts" consder this...

Three years ago I received USD$5,000.00 in 100 dollar notes from my account via a bank teller in HSBC Singapore.

Upon returning to Phuket, I tried to change 10 x $100.00 notes for Baht. Four of the notes were rejected as forgeries.

Lucky for me, the guy at the exchange booth didn't contact the police, or I would have been in the same diabolical position.

HSBC firstly refused any liability, but when I threatened to contact the media, they reluctanly requested return of the notes

and two weeks later my account received a credit for $400.00. Think again folks...it could easily be you in the same position !!!!

This is quite common with US currency. Money changers will routinely refuse certain series of $100 bills. Not because they are definitely fake, but because it is very difficult to tell the difference. The 1996 series of $100 bills is notorious for this. I've seen money changers in Pattaya with notices posted about what series of US bills they will not accept.

In the Philippines I've bought $100 bills from money changers which the Citibank refused to deposit on my account. The bank did not call the police or make any fuss about them, but merely gave them back to me because they didn't make it through their fake note detection machine. They wouldn't even comment on them being fake or not.

In my case I just brought them back to the money changer (who places a personal stamp on every note I purchased) and they replaced them for me.

Edited by tropo

I think that in most other countries that they would actually confirm that the notes were counterfeit before actually charging someone.

Unfortunately Loong, as you are well aware, they always jump in feet first here. What evidence you might well ask :)

If you open a bank account you can transfer and get the TT rate which is better than the Notes rate! the rumor says you need a work permit to open an account but you don't. just check with the main branch if the side branch doesn't believe it. i got several accounts without a work permit, no laws changed or such liars, last one i opened 3 mths ago. they tell this story since 12 years at least, wonder when they ever send out a newsletter to their branches to inform... T.I.T

Bit off topic, but I tried to open an account in several banks in BKK and was told I needed a work permit. Then I was in Hua Hin for a few days, and thought I'd try there, so went to my wife's bank (Bangkok Bank). The woman who was accounts manager told us the same thing. Then my wife got talking to her (my wife is an accountant, and they were talking shop), and lo and behold, forms were produced and filled in, a few thousand handed over to open the account, and I walked out with a bank book and Visa Electron. :)

how come Thai ATMs can check and credit cash deposits to my account immediatly, and in the UK i must wait 2 WORKING days, so if i deposit cash on a friday, i cant access that cash until tues or wednesday?

and didnt germany win england when someone changed their names to windsor?

ef

e2a - much like england 'won' the world for god knows how long by making up a bunch of 'rules'

Nice..... :)

Edited by edgarfriendly

May be he got it as small change in notorious King Power Duty free shop while coming to Thailand. He should contact Srilankan Mr.Tony for his release :)

Hey everyone...before this poor alledged passer of forged notes is found guilty from "trial by forum experts" consder this...

Three years ago I received USD$5,000.00 in 100 dollar notes from my account via a bank teller in HSBC Singapore.

Upon returning to Phuket, I tried to change 10 x $100.00 notes for Baht. Four of the notes were rejected as forgeries.

Lucky for me, the guy at the exchange booth didn't contact the police, or I would have been in the same diabolical position.

HSBC firstly refused any liability, but when I threatened to contact the media, they reluctanly requested return of the notes

and two weeks later my account received a credit for $400.00. Think again folks...it could easily be you in the same position !!!!

Same story.... Four weeks ago i received 2,000 € in 100 € notes from my account in my bank in Europe. I tried to change all notes in bank in Pattaya and two of them were rejected... Also i got lucky that they weren't calling the police. I think that notes are genuine but their test devices in Thai Banks aren't reliable. I will check bank notes on return to Europe... Allthough more expensive, whitdraw THB on ATM is safer...

Same story.... Four weeks ago i received 2,000 € in 100 € notes from my account in my bank in Europe. I tried to change all notes in bank in Pattaya and two of them were rejected... Also i got lucky that they weren't calling the police. I think that notes are genuine but their test devices in Thai Banks aren't reliable. I will check bank notes on return to Europe... Allthough more expensive, whitdraw THB on ATM is safer...

This refusal to exchange is normally what happens which is why I think these were obvious forgeries after closer inspection. If they don't like the bills, they just don't exchange them. I've had some places reject some bills due to the series or the bills being too damaged or something. No big deal.

From a policy stand point what would people want police to do in these cases? Seems that the options are:

1) Just release someone pending further investigation.

2) Keep someone in jail pending results from Bangkok.

3) Charge and then allow for bail, pending further investigation.

4) Allow the local police to be the arbiter of whether the bill is forged or not and then proceed on that.

5) Charge for a lesser crime that they do have enough evidence for.

If they do #1, real criminals would be free to escape the country as they hadn't been charged with anything.

There are a number of reasons why a bank might not change foreign currency.

Notes are damaged and /or marked in some way (defaced)

Notes are old and worn.

Notes are forgeries or are suspected forgeries.

In this case notes were of new appearance but they may have had an obvious flaw so they were suspected of being forgeries.

The person trying to encash these GBP notes claimed he received them from a bank in the UK. If he did there would be a record of the transaction with the date and time and branch. It is on his statement

And he would know the time and date, he would also have a receipt for the transaction.

My guess is that all those notes were suspected of being forgeries by the Thai bank.

They never came from a bank, and they may have been printed using a laser printer.

Edited by david96