Buying A Car

HumbleFlyer

I have been told to buy a new car because they come with a UK/USA serviuce agreement. That being said I've also been told to buy in Bangkok and drive it to Phuket and save a few 100K Baht. Any info??? Yes I will have all my Visa/Residnece paperwork, Thai DL ect.

I have been told to buy a new car because they come with a UK/USA serviuce agreement.  That being said I've also been told to buy in Bangkok and drive it to Phuket and save a few 100K Baht.  Any info??? Yes I will have all my Visa/Residnece paperwork, Thai DL ect.

If you buy in BKK and drive to Phuket and save a few 100K Baht, they'll make you the Mayor.

Just buy the car in USA, get it serviced in UK frequently and once in a while drive it from BKK to Phuket. You will be admired for your brilliance. Who is your tailor? :o

I have been told to buy a new car because they come with a UK/USA serviuce agreement.  That being said I've also been told to buy in Bangkok and drive it to Phuket and save a few 100K Baht.  Any info??? Yes I will have all my Visa/Residnece paperwork, Thai DL ect.

If you buy in BKK and drive to Phuket and save a few 100K Baht, they'll make you the Mayor.

Just buy the car in USA, get it serviced in UK frequently and once in a while drive it from BKK to Phuket. You will be admired for your brilliance. Who is your tailor? :o

I wass refering to a service agreement similar to that in the US and UK....What a moronic reply....that was such a flame I would expect the poster to arrive on a motor bike with two other Kateoy!

Prices are slightly lower in BKK.

Unless you are buying a Bentley Continental R you will not be saving a few 100k.

"I have been told to buy a new car because they come with a UK/USA serviuce agreement."

Only buy a car if you need one not because of the service agreement.

Som-Dum is mango salad. The women who sell it are always full of gossip and misleading information.

Not much different in price for new cars anywhere in LOS, but second hand cars are definately cheaper in Bangers.

I dont believe in buying a new car myself as it de-values as soon as you drive out the showroom, which is not good business sense to me.

Anyway, what are you thinking of buying?

What's the point of a US/UK service agreement in Thailand?

It's best to buy your car locally, I'd say. Any alleged savings in Bkk will be negligable, from friend's experience, and you may get better service treatment locally if you bought from the same place...

I don't believe in buying a new car myself as it de-values as soon as you drive out the showroom, which is not good business sense to me.

I agree, but when I mention buying a second hand car to my GF she gives me a "how could you be so silly" look. "Used" seems to be unacceptable in spite of the fact that I purchased my current vehicle when it was seven years old and it has been quite reliable.

I don't believe in buying a new car myself as it de-values as soon as you drive out the showroom, which is not good business sense to me.

I agree, but when I mention buying a second hand car to my GF she gives me a "how could you be so silly" look. "Used" seems to be unacceptable in spite of the fact that I purchased my current vehicle when it was seven years old and it has been quite reliable.

mgnewman, new cars do have more head room now :o:D

Went into the financial stuff on new/used car myself.

I found that the cheapest way is to buy a one to two year old car then keep it for one to two years maximum.

The other option is to buy a new car and then sell it in a year back to the dealer and get another new car. Sometimes you can get a good deal from the dealer if you do this and let him know you will be doing it every year.

I wass refering to a service agreement similar to that in the US and UK....What a moronic reply....

I thought it was quite funny!, I think humbleflyer is not as humble as he would like us to think and has done off in a huff

My Isuzu truck dropped about 200,000 baht in value the first year. PU's seem to depreciate faster than some cars, like Hondas, but a used Benz or Volvo drops like a stone in value here, it seems.

I have been to Patong many many times over the last 4 years and am very sure of what I'm doing so buy a "RIDE" is the same as at home. With the roads etc I'll go for an SUV with 4 wheel and a good carriage. So, seems all think I'm better og buying in Phuket as to getting service. I will likely buy a new car and turn it over as the market dictates. I have been looking at cars in BKK in December. It's on my list before house shopping. I'll get full fold down seats so I can have a toss in the "Ride" if needed. BTW a good link

http://www.pattayatalk.com/mhosting/brashopping.asf

Do cars depreciate as fast in Thailand as they do in, say, the US. Or, does the high tax result in their keeping their value longer?

Cars in Thailand keep their value much better in Thailand than in Europe and the USA. Pick-ups even better than cars.

I have been a new car buyer for many years. If fact I partrial to Bebz, genrally the small version for fuel economy and ease of driving in traffic as I do live in the town part of Honolulu....

If I buy a late model Used car will I still have some warrenty protection. Irealixe That Phuket is better with an All Terrain Vehicle but I well settle for a nice SUV with 4 wh dr, good pulling weight, and a strong suspension. But I like the idea of lock up everything and be able to have the 3 seat for fun or put the seats down for a round in the boot....would that be "bootie in the boot"

I will likely buy a new car

If you buy new and like to take care of your car, clean it your self, not at the service stations. Park not less than ten meters away from anyone else when parking at public places and it will looks new at least for a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately its very easy to get a new car looks second hand down here in 0 time.

:o

Aside from all the fun stuff introduced under this subject, buying a used car is currently less attractive than buying a new car. One year ago, the Government dropped the taxes on new cars with 5%, however, this has yet to effect the prices on a used car. Hence the difference between a two year old car and a new car of the same make is considerably smaller, than one might imagine. This comparison was made on mid-size cars like the Vios, City and similar sizes.

Cheers………..kandt :o

Back in '99, I bought a used Nissan 8 y.o. pick-up from a dealer for Bht 250,000.00. During the next year, it was used for hauling building materials for the house construction therefore took quite a battering. I then sold it (privately) for Bht 210,000.00.