Help With Visa For Thai To Go To Usa

Right now I have been living with my Thai girlfriend for the last 1 1/2 years in Bangkok and now need to go back to the USA. What is the best way and quickest to get her there? Is there anyone whom I can speak with about this information.

Right now I have been living with my Thai girlfriend for the last 1 1/2 years in Bangkok and now need to go back to the USA. What is the best way and quickest to get her there? Is there anyone whom I can speak with about this information.

Speak to the American embassy about a visitors visa. If your gf worked in a bar, or has a police record you have a problem. If she doesnt have a bank account or own major property you have a problem. The U.S. needs confidence she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand. She will have to apply, make appointment for an interview and wait for a visa, providing she meets all requirements.

There is no "quick" way I am aware of.

Go to the US Embassy website and follow the links to non immigrant visas. Read and understand the rules and instructions. Download and fill out the forms. You can probably do this yourself not using an agent who will charge you a large fee and probably get the same results. As OG says the main hurdle is for her to prove to the consulate that she has a compelling reason to return to Thailand and not trying to circumvent the system to be able to stay in the US, by having substantial ties to Thailand. A good job, with tax records, letter from the boss, property ownership, school and the like are good reasons for her to return. A flunky job at 7-11 is not a real help. Family in Thailand does not seem to be much help.

If after looking at the requirements and deciding if she has a convincing reason (for the consulate, not you) to come back, fill out the forms, gather the evidence needed, make the appointment, pay the fees and good luck. Probably the odds are against approval but without the specifics, it is hard to guess the outcome.

On the other hand, if there is an honest possibility of marriage, you might consider a fiancee visa. Then the burden shifts from proving that she will return, to proving that it is a valid relationship. Pictures, contacts, bills, receipts, leases with both names on it and the like. Still jumping through a lot of hoops, but not having to prove she will return. If approved she'll have 90 days to marry you and apply for a change of status to remain in the US or have to return to Thailand. Don't just get married because it is convenient, or easier for her to get a visa.

Choose wisely and good luck.

From your posting it sounds as though you are at least thinking of being with this person long term. Bear in mind that tourist visas are not meant for those who are traveling to the USA with undisclosed immigrant intent and the penalties for doing so can be stiff.

That being said, if you have been in Thailand for over 1 year (provided you have been in proper Thai visa status), you may be eligible to file for an Immigrant visa at the local USCIS office. This would allow your girlfriend (wife) to travel to the USA and obtain Permanent Residence (Green Card) upon entry. This option is also likely the fastest available among the family visa categories.

Hopefully this was helpful.

Ben Hart

US Immigration Attorney

Integrity Legal