Marriage Visa: New Requirements?

My wife and I went to the renew my yearly mariage visa yestersay. This is the sixth year running so we went there with all the usually requested documents that we used for previous aplications. But this time the Immigration Officer asked for an additional document (Kor Sor 2 available from the District Office) as well as the Thai Marriage Certificate. The Officer also asked for a copy of our rental agreement and ID copy of our Landlord. My wife questioned the Officer as to why these additional documents were now being requested and she replied that the law had changed. However, rather than giving me my application back and telling me to come back later in the week with the new documents as they normally do when important documents are missing, she processed the visa application and took the 19000baht fee and told my wife to submit the documents later in the week. My application dossier was then handed to her superior at a different desk who carefully checked through to see that everything was correct. She made no mention of the missing two newly required documents and stamped my passport with a 30 day visa and told me to come back next month to see if my application has been successful.

Has anybody else experienced this recently?

If they do not have that ledger extract in there file they are now asking for it - some places have asked previously but not all. It helps to prove the marriage certificate is legal.

Landloard or other proof of address has also been asked by some places (Pattaya comes to mind).

What office asked?

If they do not have that ledger extract in there file they are now asking for it - some places have asked previously but not all. It helps to prove the marriage certificate is legal.

Landloard or other proof of address has also been asked by some places (Pattaya comes to mind).

What office asked?

Hi Lopburi.

This was at Suan Plu in BKK. The ledger extract is the Kor Lor2? The Marriage certificate is 15 years old and I don't have any other documentation other than the certificate.

Khor Por 2 is the abstract from the mariage register and list all your personal details and that of the witnesses.

I'm not sure, but I beleive you can get one from every amphur and hsould only cost something like 20 baht.

The Khor Por2 is now required (according to Suan Plu, my personal experience) since Feb.'09.

You can only obtain it at the Khet(BKK) or amphur/district office where you went to register your marriage!

Yes the cost is only 20.- Baht and easy to obtain (you need a copy of your wife's ID card and a copy of the Marriage certificate). Your wife can obtain this copy of Khor Por2 on her own; no need for you to show up.

opalhort

Edited by opalhort

I was at Mukdahan the other month and they wanted this as well as Khor Por 2,my wife had to go to the Ampur and then phone Mukdahan so they could explain to the staff in the Aphur exactly what it was they required,had to return next day with it as they wouldn't start application without it,Gits,six hour return trip.If you were divorced it would show on the third section down.They wanted 2 photocopies of every page of bank books,passports,I wouldn't mind so much but my wife phoned Mukdahan the day before and it wasn't mentioned also they did not want to except doctors letter,said it had to be from a hospital,and tried to send me to the local hospital in Mukdahan their and then but then another officer came over and they excepted it.Hard work.Mind you Iv now got my one year extension.

I was requested to supply this document when I went to Suan Plu last month. Like the OP, they accepted the extension application pending approval but asked me to drop off the document the following week. Luckily, the Amphur where I registered my marriage is close to where I live, as when the Amphur did the check online and found no record of my marriage, they had to locate the actual register in which the marriage was recorded and make a copy of that. I was married 22 years ago and my information had not been input on the system. The lady kindly said that she would do that for me very soon so nexy year I should be online, woo hoo.

The registrar who signed off on the copy at the Amphur was a royal pain, but that is beside the point.

People like me, who registered their marriages a long time ago may find themselves in some bother. Lets say you married in Chiang Mai but are now living in Bangkok. If your marriage data has not been entered online, it would require a trip back to the amphur where you registered your marriage in Chaing Mai to obtain the required document.

Khor Por 2 is the abstract from the mariage register and list all your personal details and that of the witnesses.

I'm not sure, but I beleive you can get one from every amphur and hsould only cost something like 20 baht.

The Khor Por2 is now required (according to Suan Plu, my personal experience) since Feb.'09.

You can only obtain it at the Khet(BKK) or amphur/district office where you went to register your marriage!

Yes the cost is only 20.- Baht and easy to obtain (you need a copy of your wife's ID card and a copy of the Marriage certificate). Your wife can obtain this copy of Khor Por2 on her own; no need for you to show up.

opalhort

They asked for this document when I applied in Nan. I had my wife e-mail them before I went to see what they wanted and that was on the list in their reply, so I was prepared.

Since I can't read most of the stuff I am forced to sign to get anything done in this country, I ALWAYS demand a certified copy at the time of signing (before I sign) and get it at no additional cost. I take it home and file it away. Hence, I had a certified copy of the marraige document they requested. Everything went very smoothly until they demaned the additional 3,000 baht "investigation fee" . . .

They asked for this document when I applied in Nan. I had my wife e-mail them before I went to see what they wanted and that was on the list in their reply, so I was prepared.....

Hi TongueThaied,

As I'm also "tied to Nan", although I live nowhere near the Province, I would appreciate if you could copy-paste the requirements here. Even if it is in Thai, no matter, my wife can read (and translate) it for me.

Thanks in advance,

Hahhi