Reviewing An Offer For Windows In Our Gardenhouse.

chrgrims

Hi,

We are building a small house in the garden. We are planning to put in 2 big wooden windows (each consisting of many smaller windows). We had a local carpenter give us an offer. He says 38000 baht for materials, work, 1 door, paint. The only thing not included is glass. Is this a fair offer or not?

Included here are the illustrations of the windows.

Any help greatly appreciated!

post-83356-1250610427_thumb.jpg

post-83356-1250610797_thumb.jpg

Hi,

We are building a small house in the garden. We are planning to put in 2 big wooden windows (each consisting of many smaller windows). We had a local carpenter give us an offer. He says 38000 baht for materials, work, 1 door, paint. The only thing not included is glass. Is this a fair offer or not?

Included here are the illustrations of the windows.

Any help greatly appreciated!

post-83356-1250610427_thumb.jpg

post-83356-1250610797_thumb.jpg

seems a bit expensive ...... I had my whole kitchen built for 30,000 THB at 16sqm. maybe get some more quotations and compare prices, that's probably always the best before accepting. Also: how sure are you about his work? Have you seen his previous work?

Also check if he is really busy at the moment. I know sometimes they're too busy with other jobs so they'll raise the price, this way they don't worry if you do or don't take the job from him as he is already doing good business.

Low cost Thai houses often have wooden window frames fitted because they are the cheapest option.

Unless your quote is for top quality hardwood then it is expensive. Check the price of wood frames at your local Global House store then you can get a better idea. It would also be interesting to Compare price quotes with aluminum and UPVC.

Very happy for you :)

Did not like to say earlier but IMHO aluminum frames beat wood frames hands down, once they are fitted you simply forget about them and they always look crisp and like new.

It came out great & with aluminum as mentioned you wont have to worry about shrinking or expansion & windows not opening or closing years later! In humid areas wood is not the ticket.

Yep and it sure beats those steel window frames as well don't it Mr. B D :)

It came out great & with aluminum as mentioned you wont have to worry about shrinking or expansion & windows not opening or closing years later! In humid areas wood is not the ticket.

Yep and it sure beats those steel window frames as well don't it Mr. B D :)

Without a doubt. At least the settling & cracking noise subsided............now off to repair the cracks in the walls from where the cement cooled at a different rate then the steel. I still can't believe the nimrod used steel sills for the windows & no inner steel in the bricks for support!

• 1 month later...

The OP should expect to pay around Baht 700 for each (wood) opening window frame and Baht 1,200 for the overall (wood) frame - I'm using window frame prices from Sukothai of two years ago, additional hardware costs are pretty much standard.

Edited by chiang mai

i decided to use white aluminium instead. here is the result. total price 29000 baht, door included.

price seems still steep to me. i enclosed my pool 1½ years ago at a cost of 68,000 Baht, special gold coated mirror glass:

post-35218-1256619025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naam

i decided to use white aluminium instead. here is the result. total price 29000 baht, door included.

price seems still steep to me. i enclosed my pool 1½ years ago at a cost of 68,000 Baht, special gold coated mirror glass:

Gold mirror glass, Has the hedge ever burst into flames at all?

Gold mirror glass, Has the hedge ever burst into flames at all?

all glass windows and doors of my home are gold coated. of course a few μ thickness only and very delicate as it scratches easily. excellent reflection of uv and infrared radiation. you see it in tropical countries especially on office buildings. never been to Bangkok?

meanwhile i realised that the 68,000 Baht i mentioned were nonsense :) it was the 50% final payment. total cost therefore 136,000 Baht :D

post-35218-1256781665_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naam