Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Asthma Medication Availability?

massivebigtoe

Hello

I am about to embark on a 10 month, maybe longer trip around Asia and Australia. I have very mild asthma which is controlled by ventolin (Salbutamol) and a 'preventer' inhaler (Budesonide/Formoterol). My doctor wouldn't write me a prescription for a load of medication so I'll have to get it over there.

Is asthma medication widely available in Thailand? Over the counter? How much does it cost?

I spent 7 months in South America a few years ago, that time my old doctor just wrote me a prescription for 7 months supply, my new doctor won't do this. I ran out in south america (lost some medication) and had to buy some over the counter in Brazil and it was very expensive!

Any ideas?

My guessing was that it's probably not available over the counter in Australia so would stock up in Thailand.

Thanks!

Is asthma medication widely available in Thailand? Over the counter? How much does it cost?

Yes! Everywhere. Its cheap. Don't worry.

The brand names may be different. Bring the chemical names and dosages of your current meds and you should have no problem whatsoever finding an acceptable version in Thailand.

Asthma is big here so Thais need inhalers too, wheeze wheeze. Puffing as I write this ... in Thailand, on cheap over the counter meds, life is good ...

More seriously, the Ventolin is easy (branded as Ventolin Evohaler), you may have a bigger challenge matching your steroid inhaler. I use Clenil.

Only caveat, do not always trust the pharmacy workers here. Often their suggestions are flaky and wrong. When you find out the steroid inhaler brands here, write them down and do a little research to make a good match if you can't get the exact same chemical preparation. Some might say see a local doc but I don't think you will really need to. Unlike Ventolin, small local style shops won't have a good selection of the steroids, so go to a more serious shop for that.

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks for that, a weight off my mind.

Thought there would probably be an issue matching my steroid inhaler, I've had 3 different ones in the past and they all seem to work just as good as each other, the only reason I am taking Budesonide/Formoterol now is becasue you get loads of doses in 1 inhaler so it worked out cheaper...I'm sure I'll find a suitable alternative.

Thanks again.

I would bring a few months supply with you if you can. Venttolin is about 200 baht a puffer but Seratide is about closer to 2000 and Spiriva 4000baht.

If budget is a problem see a local clinic. There are some locally manafactured alternatives but you may have to experiment.

Don't worry! you can get it easy over-the-counter in most farmacy. I use the Symbicort Turbohaler. In my home country this is on prescription and expencive. I buy the one with 60 doses due to the humidity here. Use to leave it at home and bring with me one Ventolin Evohaler when running, shopping, with the wife!

Happy breading!

Don't worry! you can get it easy over-the-counter in most farmacy. I use the Symbicort Turbohaler. In my home country this is on prescription and expencive. I buy the one with 60 doses due to the humidity here. Use to leave it at home and bring with me one Ventolin Evohaler when running, shopping, with the wife!

Happy breading!

I also use Symbicort Turbohaler. I've tried many different kinds, and this one works the best. I live in Korat and also get the 60 Dose for 1100 Baht. Use one a day as preventitive measure.

Barry

I would again suggest looking at Clenil. It is beclomethasone, a preventative inhaled steroid. I buy the bigger dose canister (250) and puff twice a day, that is over four months for about 500 baht for 200 doses, that's over THREE MONTHS. Like I said: VERY CHEAP, 5 baht per day! Got local confirmation from a European doc, this is an excellent med. Why spend more if cheaper works?

http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab003530.html

Edited by Jingthing

I would again suggest looking at Clenil. It is beclomethasone, a preventative inhaled steroid. I buy the bigger dose canister (250) and puff twice a day, that is over four months for about 500 baht for 200 doses, that's over THREE MONTHS. Like I said: VERY CHEAP, 5 baht per day! Got local confirmation from a European doc, this is an excellent med. Why spend more if cheaper works?

Yeah that looks good to me! Is there any specific pharmacy that you'd recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Yeah that looks good to me! Is there any specific pharmacy that you'd recommend? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Not all pharmacies will have Clenil so you may have to visit a few to find it. Sometimes they won't have both dosage options either. It comes in two dosage options, 50 and 250. Boots and Fascino will usually have it.

Edited by Jingthing

Happy breading!

I also use Symbicort Turbohaler. I've tried many different kinds, and this one works the best. I live in Korat and also get the 60 Dose for 1100 Baht. Use one a day as preventitive measure.

Barry

Symbicort 120 dose version at baht 1,370, about $41, at my favorite pharmacy in the Rangsit Market. Same does, once a day.

Got a Ventolin yesterday, same place, baht 165, a bit less than $5. Got one last year to carry in my bag per doc's advice, haven't used it yet but figured it was due for replacement.

Mac

Happy breading!

Barry

Same for me. Symbicort and Ventolin over the counter, no prob. Ventolin around 200-250 bahts, Symbicort 60 doses around 1000 bahts, most of the time I can get it for 900 bahts.

Why don't you seek treatment from a homeopath? Asthma is treatable in homeopathic medicine. A friend of mine had very bad asthma attack 2 years ago. I recommended her to see a homeopath and she OK till now.

I don't think a trip abroad is a good time for an asthmatic to try out experimental methods. Many people die of asthma and even more are rushed to ERs. These medications WORK. The steroid prevention meds are especially wonderful because then you generally don't enter a crisis to begin with. I know to some people its all a big conspiracy by Big Bad Pharma. Whatever, these meds save lives ...

Edited by Jingthing

Why don't you seek treatment from a homeopath? Asthma is treatable in homeopathic medicine. A friend of mine had very bad asthma attack 2 years ago. I recommended her to see a homeopath and she OK till now.

I don't think a trip abroad is a good time for an asthmatic to try out experimental methods. Many people die of asthma and even more are rushed to ERs. These medications WORK. The steroid prevention meds are especially wonderful because then you generally don't enter a crisis to begin with. I know to some people its all a big conspiracy by Big Bad Pharma. Whatever, these meds save lives ...

It is also worth noting that those who use ventolin alone are many times more likely t die if they have a severe attack than those who also use a steroid preventer.

I would bring a few months supply with you if you can. Venttolin is about 200 baht a puffer but Seratide is about closer to 2000 and Spiriva 4000baht.

If budget is a problem see a local clinic. There are some locally manafactured alternatives but you may have to experiment.

I pay 950 THB for my imported Seretide from the local Chiang Mai pharmacy - order today, pick up tomorrow. Time you started shopping around a little, Harry....

Happy breading!

Barry

Symbicort 120 dose version at baht 1,370, about $41, at my favorite pharmacy in the Rangsit Market. Same does, once a day.

Got a Ventolin yesterday, same place, baht 165, a bit less than $5. Got one last year to carry in my bag per doc's advice, haven't used it yet but figured it was due for replacement.

Mac

I've never used Ventolin. Is it used as a Rescue? I have a Berodual rescue which doesn't work good with me.

Barry

Yes Barry, It is symptomatic relief(rescue)

Berodual is a combination of 2 types of bronchodilator which seems to be better.

However it works different in each person.

Try ventolin and see how it works for you.

To many doses might give you palpitation.

I have been on a daily combo of Ventolin plus a steroid inhaler for decades now. My doctors have given me the impression this is more or less standard. You puff the Ventolin first for the prescribed number of puffs then your lungs are opened up and you finish up with the steroid for the prescribed dosage. Works like a charm. I haven't had a serious breathing problem for many years. See a doctor if your current regime isn't working!

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks guys,

My Asthma seems to be under control now,with the use of one daily puff of Symbacort Turbohailor. Funny I hadn't had any problems or had to use any medication for over four yrs, but when the rainy season began this year ssymptoms onceagain aappearedI really never had Asthma until I quit smoking in Jan 2005.

Barry

Thanks guys,

My Asthma seems to be under control now,with the use of one daily puff of Symbacort Turbohailor. Funny I hadn't had any problems or had to use any medication for over four yrs, but when the rainy season began this year ssymptoms onceagain aappearedI really never had Asthma until I quit smoking in Jan 2005.

Barry

When using Symbicort, rinse the mouth, because it containing Cortisone.

BTW. Do you worry about Svine flu this days? It seams like if you have asthma, you can get REALY sick, even die!

• 14 years later...
On 8/20/2009 at 10:26 PM, harrry said:

Spiriva is expensive. I am happy I opted to pay 432 baht a month for my ocial Security health insuarance. Looks like I am saving 2500 baht a month, on one medication alone!!