Driving Me Crazy

I know there's been several topics on Thai drivers licenses but I can't find definitive response to my query. Monday, I gave up my passport to my embassy since it's full and a new one is required for a planned trip upcoming.

Yesterday, I realised by chance my Thai DL was about to expire (was renting a car). Anyways, we drove over to the license dept on Suk 91 (?) and they asked for my Passport... oops, completely forgot I don't get it back untill next week!

I tried to plead my case but she said not to worry since after it expires, I can drive legally up to 6 months (?) and get a 5 year replacement.

OTOH, she said if I had replaced it while it was still valid, I'd get just 1 year again...

I had my Thai partner clarify but she basically confirmed I understood the lady correctly and was shaking her head as well. What tha??? :o

from my visits there it seems to be that

1. if you try to renew / replace a one year licence before it has expired then they will give you a new one year licence.

2. if you try to get a renewal / replacement for an expired one year licence , but dont have the expired licence to hand in then you will also get a one year replacement unless they can ( be bothered to ) locate your details on the database.

3. if you try to get a renewal / replacement for a recently expired one year licence and you have the old one to hand in then they will issue you with a new 5 year one.

as ever , all the paperwork has to be in order and they are overworked and not too friendly down at sukhumvit 91.

as ever , all the paperwork has to be in order and they are overworked and not too friendly down at sukhumvit 91.

Does this mean I still need to have a NON 'O' visa to renew to a 5 year license?

My 1 year license expires next month and I havent got the 300,000 baht to show for a NON 'O' visa when it expires also next month so will be getting tourist visa.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a very strange ruling but recently I went through the process myself. The basis for the rule is that in order to get a 5 year liscense, you must have held a one-year lisence for one entire year. You cannot renew a one year lisence for a 5 year lisence until one complete year has passed.

You simply need a proof of residency statement from immigration. Of course, you need your passport to get this document.

What I don't know is: how long after the one-year expires can you get a 5year version? The way it is explained, you may actually have months to years.

You can get it the next day after the first licence (one year) expires - thats what I did.

Other people I know have renewed before expiry and on the day of expiry and have only been offered a 1 year license.

Let your first Thai licence expire a day - then renew and you will be able to obtain the 5 year licence.