Visa For Wife's Mum & Dad To Settle In The Uk

Hi everybody

Not sure if this has been asked before, did a search but couldn't find anything so please forgive if it's already been covered.

A long story short, my wife lives with me in Scotland and her sister lives near Brighton on the south coast of England with her husband, my wife and I are planning to move down near her sister next year and the wife and her sister want to bring their parents over to the UK to live (Both in their 60's) and so I had a look on the UK embassy website but not sure which visa they would need and I was hoping somebody with the knowledge could point me in the correct direction.

Many thanks

Brigante7.

Do they have any other children/family taking care of them still living in Thailand?

Are they ill/infirm?

The embassy will want to know what reason they want to move to UK. So proving they are either infirm or unable to take care of themselves without family help, that they have no other relatives to take care of them or no other family ties in Thailand. i.e. other children, grandkids etc & that moving to the Uk to be near their children is the only option for them will be the main criteria.

Getting thai partners parents to Uk to live isn't easy unless you can prove without a doubt that they have no one else in Thailand to care for them.

Let us kow how you get on as I know it has been asked before.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Boo - The reason that they want to move to the UK is to be near their daughters and grand kids, they have 3 grand kids over here. They have a son who lives near them but they are not on speaking terms, old family argument, and while they do have brothers & sisters they are all around the same age (In their 60's) so in a few years time they will struggle to find anybody to look after them and so my wife and her sister want to bring them over here to get settled before they are to old.

TVE - The wifes parents were over here on a 6 month visa last year (Wife and I got married), her dad had to go back home after 3 weeks for work but her mum stayed the full 6 months so their is a little bit of history so we are hoping that might help when the time comes.

It won't be for another 12 months or so before we want them over but I wanted to start the ground work off and test the waters to see what the chances are and to see what is required.

Many thanks

Brigante7.

Edited by Brigante7

They would apply for settlement as dependant relatives, using Form VAF4A.

However, as Boo says, it will not be easy. They will need to satisfy the requirements of the immigration rules, Para 317, especially 317(iii)

is financially wholly or mainly dependent on the relative present and settled in the United Kingdom

For more information see SET08 - Parents, grandparents and other dependants.

Wish you all the best on this one Brig, sounds like you will have to cross over a few minefields to make this one happen ,, I hope your brother in law in Brighton is helping with the old folding stuff with you .

I know you say they have been over here before on visitor visas etc ,, and I know about the pull of the grandchildren , but it seems a hel_l of a step for the older Thai generation to make it over here full time , believe me I would love my Mum and Dad inlaws here with us full time , but it will never happen as they have 3 children and grandchildren LOS ,, were outnumbered.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you all

Wish you all the best on this one Brig, sounds like you will have to cross over a few minefields to make this one happen ,, I hope your brother in law in Brighton is helping with the old folding stuff with you .

I know you say they have been over here before on visitor visas etc ,, and I know about the pull of the grandchildren , but it seems a hel_l of a step for the older Thai generation to make it over here full time , believe me I would love my Mum and Dad inlaws here with us full time , but it will never happen as they have 3 children and grandchildren LOS ,, were outnumbered.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you all

Thanks mate, yeah it will be a major minefield and to be honest I don't think they will settle here, the weather alone is enough to send them back home. No worries about the folding stuff, everything will be split down the middle 55-45 in my favour, lol.

Thanks for the links 7by7, much apreciated

Brigante7.