When Was The First Time You Visited Los?

Jockstar

Ok. On TV we have many age groups and occupations. But was just wondering when was the first time you came to LOS? Either for holiday/business or whatever. How long before you decided to make the move and come to live here? For me it was August 2001 after living in NZ for a year. I came here for a month. The longer i was here the more i liked it. So by my last week i had decided to come back. I then went back to the UK for 4 and a half months . Worked my ass off and saved some cash. Came back and had a holiday again and then done a few courses to teach English. Been here ever since. Though had to go back to the Uk for a few months after my first year or so. So what about the rest of you?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see,

Came here August last year for a holiday. Met a woman who I fell for, went back to Adelaide. Sorted out my crap including selling my business. Was back within 3 weeks. Been here ever since.

Going home during school holidays. Having a blessing of the Marriage. Then coming back.

I do smell the scent of opportunity here. :o

Waits seatramp reply :D

Nomad

First arrived in Bangkok at the age of 21 in 2001, just a few days after Songkran. The trip was two weeks long to see if I would like working/living here - of course I would :o

Moved here permanently the following June afterwards. Nearly 4 years and it's flown...

Good question!

My first visit was December 1981 to visit a relation here, met and fell in love with one of the first girls I met. I was 25 and she was 24.....the first trip was just for a week and I was back within a month for 3 weeks and then back again very soon after.

In those days getting a visa was somewhat easier and my GF came to the UK where we got married on April Fools day '82........divorced about 10 years later (down to my stupidity) Back to Thailand to work about 15 years ago......very happily single ;-)

She remarried in the UK and rarely returns to Thailand, maybe 3 times in the last 15 years.

We sought of swapped countries.....however,she certainly got the better deal regarding legality aspects, been a British Passport holder for the last 18 years and has the right of stay in the UK...me, well you know the answer.

Bunch of sprogs so far :D

1963 :o

Yeah...U sure beat me..first quick visit was off a ship in 1970 for a couple of pints in the old dockies boozer around ......well forget exactly but as in earlier postings may have been Lucys Tiger Den or therabout .....but :D

same with Singers ,Honkers,Hanoi (Brits Neutral in the wee VN conflict)Manila and a 100 other gin joints in the South China seas. :D

Really only started frequenting the OffshoreBar in 1983-4 (Soi C)

Me old man was out this way in the 1940s ...bit o bother with the laddies from the land of the big fried Egg.

No relatives found as yet. :D:D

:o Came for a 4 week holiday about 4 years ago, fell in love with the place also with a thai girl. Phoned the company up asked if they would fly me to and from Bangkok for my work, as i work offshore said they did not have a problem with me relocating to Thailand from the UK. Been here ever since now married with a beautiful daughter. What a life it is.

Early 71, just in transit at Dong Muang.

73 came for some holidays on the way to and from Europe. Afterwards on and off for holidays.

Had no idea that I would come back to live here since 1992.

Made a pitstop in Bkk on the way back from Tokyo to Europe in '89 (at age 20)

Between '89 and '93 came over on a three week holiday every 3 months.

Now live here permanently since early'93...

1999 was my first visit on a round the world trip. Stayed for 2 months. I then returned after working for a year to stay a further 18 months in Thailand. Now just keeping the place for holidays but maybe I'll end up working here if I can score with a multi-national.

was just wondering when was the first time you came to LOS?

I first stepped foot on Thai soil while in the U.S. Army in 1971. Was first assigned to the Army TSC-54 Satellite Communications Station at U-Tapao Royal Thai Navy Airbase (then home of the B-52's, KC-135's, U-2's, and several "base flight support aircraft"). Later was re-assigned as the last Army Station Chief of the Microwave Commo Station at Sriracha, Thailand B4 that station was turned over to civilian mgmt. (Federal Electric) and later to the Thai Army.

I loved Pattaya Beach back then. Very simple fishing village with only 3 hotels, of which the Nipa Lodge (now Nova Lodge at Pattaya Klang and Beach Rd, and still a great choice for reasonable accomodations and the best swimming pool in Pattaya) was the best of the existing hotels. Also at the time, there were less than a couple dozen bars and restaurants and shops within Pattaya Beach. The best restaurant "back in the day" was a Greek place on what is now Walking Street called Barbos. AND there was a super NCO Club up off North Pattaya Rd where the Dusit now sits that had weekend BBQ's to die for.

I've made a total of 35 trips to Thailand to date and my Thai wife and I will be relocating PERMANENTLY to Chiayaphum in Oct 2005 to live out our retirement years. Our plans are to spend two weeks each month in Chiayaphum visiting with all her family and the other two weeks travelling at will. Methinks that will mean about 5-10 nites/mo. in Pattaya Beach for sure, and a couple in Bangkok, with the rest taken up by mini "road trips" throughout Thailand.

I've worked in, lived in or visited 39 countries and all 50 United States but enjoy Pattaya Beach/Sriracha/Jomtien/Sattahip/Rayong/Chantiburi/Trat/Klong Yai area of Thailand better than anywhere. In the U.S. my favorite city and home for many years since 1981 when I first moved there was San Antonio Texas and 2nd favorite Yuma AZ. Kind of unusual for someone born/raised in Lafayette Indiana who has 4 kids, 2 grandkids, and a new great grandson living in So. California.

Ken Bower

San Antonio Texas (for now)

Chiayaphum, Thailand (starting in Oct 2005)

http://homepage.mac.com/mgnewman/KenLat/ Homepage

http://kenandlat.diaryland.com daily THIS AND THAT column

My mate went over there in mid '93...showed me the pics he took in Surin....I stopped going to the pub every night, Got my act together and arrived Thailand on 25/12/93.....met my ex that trip and went back to see her for the next three years, brought her here for a holiday and that all went astray...by that time I could read,write and speak the lingo, so I guess I just kept going back. after nearly 12 years, I am still going back and I am lining up trip number 25 or 26 now.

My current lady, who worked daytime waitress in a bar is now staying in Bkk and working with her sister......Hope to bring her here in a few more months.

Rookie checking in here.

First visit was July of 2003.

Returned 2 times in next six months.

April of 2004 came to live permenantly.

Will it be for 1, 3, or 30 years ? Don't know.

One day at a time.

First arrived in January 73. I flew into Udorn RTAFB on a C-141 and then was transported by bus a few clicks down the road the 7th RRFS (officially meaning Radio Research Field Station but more commonly referred to as the Rock & Roll Freak Show). The day I arrived happened to coincide with general elections after the latest coup so everyone was restricted to base. Our little installation was the home of a FLR-9, a huge direction finding antenna commonly nicknamed the Elephant Cage. So what do I see when I first pulled onto Ramasun Station, an elephant near the antenna! Turns out they brought one on base to give rides. Somehow I suspect that was small consolation to those who'd rather be partying just off base or downtown Udorn.

I've since been back for visits in 89 and 2001. Hope to make it back for a visit in 2-3 years with eventual retirement in the PakChong area.

First arrived in January 73. I flew into Udorn RTAFB on a C-141 and then was transported by bus a few clicks down the road the 7th RRFS

D Clary Jr.,

Hope to meet you someday soon. My Thai wife Rattana (Lat) and I are retiring in Chiayaphum, which is about 3 hours south of Udon Thani in Oct. Her brother lives in Udon, and we have a friend who was stationed at the AFTN in U-Tapao that belongs to our U-Tapao Alumni Group that just retired in Udon Thani last year after attending our U-Tapao Alumni Group's 1st Int'l Reunion in Pattaya Beach in Oct 2003. We have over 500 members in our U-Tapao Alumni Group now, all of which were stationed at U-T at sometime between when the Red Horse peeps built the Royal Thai Navy Airbase in 1965 from scratch, to when it officially closed in 1996 after the Mayguez fiasco.

BTW, our U-T Alums will be having their 2nd Int'l Reunion at the Nova Lodge in Pattaya Beach again Oct 16-30 and Jungle Jim Traywick (who STILL works at JUSMAGTHAI) is running an ALL VETS reunion at the Ambassador Hotel in BKK from Oct 19-25 and all military and civilians who served during the Viet Nam War era are invited.

I will attend both, and at the ALL VETS reunion, I plan to see some of the old CIA, Air America, other black ops and spooks peeps, that I haven't seen since the 1970's.

I was stationed at the U.S. Army TSC-54 Satellite Communications Station at U-T 71-72 and later as the last U.S. Army Station Chief at the Army Microwave Commo Site at Sriracha 72 B4 it was turned over to Federal Electric and later to the Thai Army.

Seems we have lots in common and would really enjoy meeting you and talking over all the experiences we've endured in Thailand and since.

Ken and Rattana Bower

San Antonio Texas (until Oct)

I suppose Grandad ought to make his comment here.

My first trip to LOS was in 1963 with British RAF from my (then) permanent Base is Malaya. I met my wife-to-be through her brother (RTAF) she was just 18 and me 23. We married during one of many follow-up visits and 2 children and grand-children later we are still happily married after 35 years.

We have now retired and have returned to LOS to live keeping one foot in the UK.

One commentator mentioned Pattaya around 20 odd years ago. Yes, 30 years ago it was a wonderful place apart from the odd USN ship hitting the beach now and then. Now look at it!. Commercial, overblown, noisy but then, it suits a lot of people. I wonder just how many expats who have retired to that area now regret it.

I came to Thailand 3 years ago just by off chance because I booked to go travel around australia and the travel agent told me I have a free stop over in either Las Vegas or Thailand, naturally I have never heard anything about thailand so I decided to check it out. Stayed for a week and set off my trip around Australia, well that last a 3 weeks instead of 3months and I fly back to Thailand to spend the rest of the trip there. what a great decision!! :o

I suppose Grandad ought to make his comment here.

My first trip to LOS was in 1963

Peter,

It would be my pleasure to sit and lunch w/you if you are so inclined and we could talk about all the changes that have come over Pattaya Beach.

My wife and I are retiring to Chiayaphum Thailand in Oct. 2005. Will be in Pattaya Beach Oct 16-19 and Oct 25-30 or in Bangkok Oct 19-25. Let us know if you have some free time during those timeframes.

We could also discuss our military experiences a bit....

Ken Bower

SFC USA Ret.

USAF Jun 1954-Nov 1963

break in service

US Army Mar 1964-Feb 1975

Airborne Radar, Fire Control, Weapons Control, Computer tech (USAF)

Instructor, AN/APS-94 Airborne Surveillance Radar School, 64-65

Satellite Communications Installer/Tech 66-68, 71-72, 74-75

Microwave Station Chief 72

White House Communications (DCAOC) 68-71 & 72-74 two tours of duty