German Engineer Killed By Bomb In Chon Buri

churchill

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engineer Mr. Uwe Keienburg worked with/for Vinci Consulting Co., Ltd. - Thailand.

Vinci Consulting seems to be a respectable engineering/infrastructure and consulting company in Thailand:

vinciconsulting.net/index2.html

i don't know if the look of that website makes vinci consulting to a "respectable engineering/infrastructure and consulting company". there is a lack references of sucessful projects in the past.

if i check the whois of vinciconsulting, i come to the healthmedasia.com adress.  it's long gone, but few bits are on archive org. web.archive.org/web/*/healthmedasia.com

check this for example: web.archive.org/web/20040903095029/healthmedasia.com/introduction.htm

that looks like an odd business concept.

why is it so unbelievable that people commit suicide? it's a sad thing, but it happen.

the detonation cord looks like a leaveless twig to me. or some other piece of string.

maybe he just made some small installation that the grenade hangs in the air and he have his hands free for a last prayer. or constructed somekind of a booby-trap, to be triggered by himself and explode behind his back. he could had fixed the grenade and the trigger with 2 different strings and when he moved forward the trigger got released. did some ritual or last meditation, before he felt ready to go and make his last step forward and it made just a click noise behind his back.

psychologically maybe an easier process than hold the grenade in your own hand and face it for your last few seconds.

As an answer to your first sentence: Mr. Keienburg worked for 2 respectable VERY LARGE companies in Thailand ( 1 from the USA and 1 from Italy/Thailand) and a.o. on the construction of the pavement on Suvarnabhumi airport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/German-Engin...13#entry2958113

Of course that doesn't say anything but I wrote: "Vinci Consulting seems to be......".

He was an engineer and not in a shady bar adventure but anybody can end up in problems in Thailand or any other country.

Your last assumptions are speculative..maybe....maybe.

If we would only know more.....but to commit suicide on such a strange place, far away from home in a rubber plantation, with a grenade (with detonation material, hard to get) doesn't make sense to most.

But...who knows ? :)

LaoPo

I knew this gentleman quite well, and first and foremost, he was a gentleman.

We had not been in touch of late and only a letter from a mutual friend in Germany made me aware of what has transpired.

I am so deeply saddened at the moment and feeling for Araya and their daughter.

This was a very, very good man. Please do nothing here to sully his name.

RIP Uwe.

>>> Remember the rule of karma: everything that happens was meant to happen. So, if someone dies, it was meant to happen, so no use getting all bothered about it. Suicide is the easiest conclusion, so if you think it will stick with the Thai public, use it. Their focus will shift to something else soon anyway, do don't sweat it.

That explains alot about Thailand. I mean my lawyers nephew died via a head on collision with a truck driving his BMW 518. The fact that he was driving crazy had nothing to do with it, and thus any thought about teaching him about safety, etc, is irrelevent, since if he was going to die, well then he is going to die, and no amount of safety lectures is going to help him? We westerners are obsessed with knowing the truth. What is so important about the truth, why do the police have to tell us what really happened? What would happen if no one told the truth? Oops, that sounds like a country we all know well?

Back to this case. Well I thought we would have heard some news by now?

We had not been in touch of late and only a letter from a mutual friend in Germany made me aware of what has transpired.

RIP Uwe.

Thank you Dr. Burrito.

Since you're a long time member I think others will respect your explanation and opinion about Mr. Uwe Keienberg.

I also hope the truth will come out, sooner or later. Your explanation that he was gentleman makes it even more difficult to believe that he would commit suicide in such a "special" way... :)

LaoPo

In general, the whole grenade-angle is just so odd. If it was plastic explosive, i.e. things found on a building-site, that could have made sense due to his work and access.

But a military hand grenade? So much easier to buy a handgun if one just wants to end it. A hand grenade is much harder to find and would raise eyebrows.

And why go to a desolated place and yet finish it in a way that makes a big scene?

Something doesn't add up.

Edited by TAWP

Dear Dr. Burrito, if you knew the deceased and his wife, perhaps you can shed some light on others' concerns. For example, did it appear to you that the married couple were content with each other, or did she appear like a schemer who was mainly in it for the money and security (which is so often the case), or the irrational type who might fly off the handle in a fit of jealousy?

Also, perhaps you know some biz dealings he had which were contentious.

I'm not asking in a rubbernecking sort of way, but rather out of concern that there seems to be little substantive investigation by authorities. All too often, we hear of mysterious deaths of farang, and we're told something to the effect, "don't speculate so much because you don't know anything. Be patient, and the proper authorities will issue a report later, and we'll have a better idea of what transpired."

Well, the reality is, the authorities all too often sweep it under the rug. They're attitude is, "the least that's divulged, the better" - mainly to try and protect Thailand's tourist industry." The other reasons may be that investigators here are inept and/or they're not being paid enough to make it worth their while to probe deeper. Plus, just plain laziness.

Firstly I want to commend all of you for keeping Uwe's unusual ending relevant, to be suspicious and curious. It's likely not to amount to a hill of beans in the end, but just perhaps something might come about from what gets tossed around here. The fact is, what happened to Uwe, and perhaps more to the point is how it's handle by the system thereafter, is reason enough for us to toy with the different theories, and analyze pictures and so forth b/c it could be one of us us tomorrow morning.

I knew Uwe for eight years. His death in this manner is strange to say the least. While I wasn't particularly close, I enjoyed "Starbucks moments" three or four times a year and exchanged emails/phone calls every 6 weeks or so. I recall years ago visiting one of the bars in Nana, not one of the deep ones inside, no girls hanging of us because it was an outdoor thing on the corner...just watching the parade is all. He looked totally out of place. He just wasn't wired like that, you know chasing skirts and getting his rocks off. He was your typical old time German in many ways: no sense of humor, organized, early to bed/rise kind of fellow.

I've been to his home, enjoyed holiday dinners there, it's in a respectable upscale condo in BKK, his young child attends one of the top 4 international schools and he played golf very well, and he had a membership at an exclusive golf course where Tiger W played once and had the 5 series BMW. So from all appearances, materially he carved himself a nice little life here.

He was an accomplished engineer, b/c he told me of the projects he was involved on here such as the Victory Monument Sky train section as it was particularly difficult for local firms. He worked on the elevated parts of the highway system and also the new airport, which he told me well before it became public knowledge that the tarmac or runways areas were less than satisfactory.

But Uwe was not content being an engineer; he desperately wanted to succeed as an entrepreneur. If I had a dime for every proposal he brought me... Anyway, it's not that his ideas were nutty really, but he just would do things like every businessman would, so it seemed, but he didn't have that little magic ingredient called luck to go along. So I always thought that he'd simply return to doing engineering work to build up his war chest and then strike out again at trying to make a deal. And this may, in fact, was the thing that did him in. I recall he invited me some months back to join him and others (unknown to me) on a investment consortium that was being put together. The aim was to to purchase a number of distressed condo units which were available for the cheap b/c of the beginning of the year anxieties with the world economy, red shits, etc, and then flip them later. So perhaps this is the deal that got him in hot water. I don't know what became of that deal since I declined to participate.

Uwe's address book was extensive and to be admired. He could put people together halfway around the world. He golfed with the mayor of my home city and knew people in your not so normal fields of work. He once put me in touch with bush pilots that he was acquainted well. This guy traveled like crazy, US, India, S'pore, and more recently Malaysia. There was something about a woman relationship mentioned in this report/blog; I can't speak to that as we never discussed women-- ever. He just seemed to serious for that and I can only say that seems uncharacteristic...but we're all susceptible I suppose so who knows??? His Thai wife, is quite proper and educated in the US at a well known university and though it seems tempting to cast her as having a role as we come to expect from some enterprising Thai wives in this kinda "who dun it" scenarios, she seems to be above that, too refined or dignified.

Uwe never came to me to borrow money. He never mentioned money problems. I believe he didn't come from money either. He and his working professional spouse could provide enough to live as I described earlier. So one theory I have is that Uwe was possibly owed money. He pestered some person(s) to pay up, or make good on a deal and he threatens to use his handy address book to get results. So those person(s) feeling imminent embarrassment or whatever decided to do him in.

Did Uwe commit suicide? He never hinted being capable or having thoughts of it. He'd be the last I'd expect it from, but, hel_l doesn't the act catch most folks of guard? I might be persuaded to think he felt shame for not making deals turn positive, to bring more $$$ in for the family and decided to call it a day...we all understand that at some level. But come on C4/Grenade? This guys wasn't violent. For me the grenade thing puts a huge monkey wrench into that suicide theory.

Well that's about all I have to share and hopefully this lengthy remarks (sorry) paint a better picture for you all to run with. I think about him every day now and his awful demise; wish I'd made him feel comfortable so he could discuss whatever was he may have felt troubled about. RIP Uwe. -KJ

Thank you Mr. MEsoSO, for sharing your knowledge with us.

It gives us a much better view of who Mr. Keienburg was and he seems to have been a good man, a fine Gentleman as Dr. Burrito described.

It's scary to learn that such a nice but seemingly also serious man ended up the way he did.

But, still, there's not much more we can do than guess of what really happened, unfortunately.

Let's hope the real truth will come out one day.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Thanks, MEsoSO and Mr. Burrito for shedding light on an interesting man. As Studs Terkel once said, 'everybody's got a story' - and it's true.

Your mention of Ewe got me to think of a Dutch man I know peripherally - serious, thoughtful, plays his cards close to his chest.

Whether suicide (doubtful) or murder (likely), it's certainly a sad ending for Ewe - who sounds like a very decent and interesting fellow.

Shame on Thai investigators for dropping the ball.

Nice to hear from someone who knew this man,he seemed like a real gentleman!

Most Germans i know are very self disciplined,strong willed people that normally work a way around their problems....

a lot of things don't add up here,the scene being so far from his home leading me to think he was taken or lured there.....

the method of his death....and all the extra things the police have thrown in and calling it suicide??

Sorry BIB...don't believe it was suicide...think there's a lot more to it!!..and sadly we may never know.

RIP Uwe and my condolences to his wife and family

Sorry BIB...don't believe it was suicide...think there's a lot more to it!!..and sadly we may never know.

Only the bright commit suicide

Does a controversial theory linking intelligence with suicide rates help to explain why so many scientists kill themselves?

Dr Keith Ashcroft, a forensic psychologist based in Manchester, notes that “suicide is indeed more common among the professional classes: scientists like vets and dentists have notoriously high suicide rates”.

that is maybe the reason why some people here are not to able to understand why others commit suicide.

Does a controversial theory linking intelligence with suicide rates help to explain why so many scientists kill themselves?

Dr Keith Ashcroft, a forensic psychologist based in Manchester, notes that “suicide is indeed more common among the professional classes: scientists like vets and dentists have notoriously high suicide rates”.

that is maybe the reason why some people here are not to able to understand why others commit suicide.

Interesting article,have to say that i've noticed some not so bright people with problems who don't seem to have a care in the world,while others might be more

concerned. Maybe its just (thinking to much)

But don't believe this man took his life in this way

Dr Keith Ashcroft, a forensic psychologist based in Manchester, notes that "suicide is indeed more common among the professional classes: scientists like vets and dentists have notoriously high suicide rates".

Interesting article,have to say that i've noticed some not so bright people with problems who don't seem to have a care in the world,while others might be more

concerned. Maybe its just (thinking to much)

But don't believe this man took his life in this way

When it comes to the not so bright people i believe it is called, Ignorance is bliss.

Nice to hear from someone that knew him and a somewhat insight into the type of guy he was.

May he rest in peace and if someone else was involved (which i believe to be so) may they burn somewhere for all eternity.

This just came in:

<h1></h1>"Man acquitted of killing Australian auditor

The Court of Appeals Wednesday upheld the lower court's decision to acquit a man suspected of shooting dead an Australian auditor.

Michael Wansley, 58, was killed in Nakhon Sawan in 1999 for detecting corrupt practice at Namtan Kaset Thai Co Ltd, which was then undergoing a debt-restructuring process.

The Court of Appeals yesterday said Pichet or Thaksin Kaewsamduang should receive the benefit of doubt.

The lower court also has the same opinion.

The Nation"

Reference

No further comment necessary, say I

This just came in:

The Court of Appeals Wednesday upheld the lower court's decision to acquit a man suspected of shooting dead an Australian auditor.

Michael Wansley, 58, was killed in Nakhon Sawan in 1999 for detecting corrupt practice at Namtan Kaset Thai Co Ltd, which was then undergoing a debt-restructuring process.

The Court of Appeals yesterday said Pichet or Thaksin Kaewsamduang should receive the benefit of doubt.

The Nation"

Reference

Have you posted in the wrong topic :)

This just came in:

The Nation"

Reference

Have you posted in the wrong topic :)

Wrong topic?

Looks to me like wrong planet, Unless i have missed that particular topic. :D

Think i have just got it,

Ie detecting corruption and murdered for it get your drift now.

Edited by cyb

A few years back the police chief of the time instructed the BIB to watch CSI Miami "to see how it should be done" :)

Maybe if the authorities approached Horatio, or Magnum PI, they could get them to set up shop here......not sure who would stand out more, a red headed farang CSI type, or one with a Hawaiian shirt........RIP to the departed.....

Engineer Mr. Uwe Keienburg worked with/for Vinci Consulting Co., Ltd. - Thailand.

Vinci Consulting seems to be a respectable engineering/infrastructure and consulting company in Thailand:

vinciconsulting.net/index2.html

i don't know if the look of that website makes vinci consulting to a "respectable engineering/infrastructure and consulting company". there is a lack references of sucessful projects in the past.

if i check the whois of vinciconsulting, i come to the healthmedasia.com adress. it's long gone, but few bits are on archive org. web.archive.org/web/*/healthmedasia.com

check this for example: web.archive.org/web/20040903095029/healthmedasia.com/introduction.htm

that looks like an odd business concept.

why is it so unbelievable that people commit suicide? it's a sad thing, but it happen.

the detonation cord looks like a leaveless twig to me. or some other piece of string.

maybe he just made some small installation that the grenade hangs in the air and he have his hands free for a last prayer. or constructed somekind of a booby-trap, to be triggered by himself and explode behind his back. he could had fixed the grenade and the trigger with 2 different strings and when he moved forward the trigger got released. did some ritual or last meditation, before he felt ready to go and make his last step forward and it made just a click noise behind his back.

psychologically maybe an easier process than hold the grenade in your own hand and face it for your last few seconds.

As an answer to your first sentence: Mr. Keienburg worked for 2 respectable VERY LARGE companies in Thailand ( 1 from the USA and 1 from Italy/Thailand) and a.o. on the construction of the pavement on Suvarnabhumi airport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/German-Engin...13#entry2958113

Of course that doesn't say anything but I wrote: "Vinci Consulting seems to be......".

He was an engineer and not in a shady bar adventure but anybody can end up in problems in Thailand or any other country.

Your last assumptions are speculative..maybe....maybe.

If we would only know more.....but to commit suicide on such a strange place, far away from home in a rubber plantation, with a grenade (with detonation material, hard to get) doesn't make sense to most.

But...who knows ? :)

LaoPo

RIP Uwe.

I suspect his good intention or civic responsibility is what got him killed.

• 3 weeks later...

. . . without pressure brought from the outside upon the Royal Thai Police, this case is closed . . . the sad conclusion to this misjustice, is that we live in a Third World Country . . . simply that . . . the misperception that Thailand is an Emerging Country is just wrong . . . we live here . . . we see the foul corruption infecting this country . . . day after day . . . in every aspect of Thai life, business, culture, politics, families, personal relationships, education . . . and the police and judicial systems . . . all of it.

. . . think Sub-Saharan Africa, any one of whose police and judicial systems are the equal of the Thai system . . . comparably perverted . . . a very thin veneer of excellent tourism marketing and a bit of marginally functioning infrastructure [roads, airports, telecommunications, power, sewer, water] are all that separates Thailand from being a Cambodia, or a Myanmar, or [ --- insert here any sub-Saharan African failed nation --- ].

. . . I, too, knew Uwe . . . a good man, even by the western measures of ethics and values to which many of us were raised . . . not the moral turpitude to which most farang decay here in Thailand . . . and, I am deeply saddened that no justice will be meted-out for this man's murder.

. . . may God rest your soul, Uwe . . . so sad.

I didn't know Ewe personally, but I feel a kinship with him.

I agree with swillowbee that it could possibly have been murder. It's a shame that there aren't Thais who are able to do thorough and professional detective work.

Possible scenario: someone put an explosive device in his laptop computer which was triggered in some way (by turning it on?). Has his mobile phone been found? There are a slew of questions (and leads) that apparently haven't been explored by authorities. Altogether, a let down of police function. Perhaps the whole police station, top to bottom, should quit their jobs and do something useful - get some push carts and go look for recyclable bottles or whatever.

Have to say that there are far too many questions left unanswered in respect of this tragedy. The BIB have clearly been keen to use their favoured suicide angle, and I doubt very much effort has been put into finding out the facts of this case. I'm not saying it is suicide or murder, what my feeling is here, is that the BIB have once again shown that they really have no interest or competence to actually establish facts that can provide a proper explanation to this awful tragedy.