Ten Things Everyone Should Do In Bangkok

churchill

One thing absolutely all vitiors I have from back home, or colleagues ask for, is to please have a little peek at one of the red light areas. They all just want to have a little peek.

Just as the tourists do in Amsterdam as well.

Normally I bring them to Pat Pong, just to satisfy their couriosity.

The rest, is more cultural.

1. have a steak at the check in suk. best anywhere 400 bht and you get a chipmunk show

I like it there too but that bloody smell of damp hits you in the face as soon as you venture in. God knows what it's like now smoking is banned. The Filipina singers were terrific.Are they still performing?

A trip up river on the stopping ferry for a pittance is an almost must. The tourist boats are fine but observing the Thai commuters is all part of the show.

Soi Cowboy in preference to Patpong is recommended for the louche side of things.

Bruce Gaston's show at Tawandaeng amidst the horde scoffing Thai food and drinking columns of beer to enjoy Thai having fun.

A place I like taking people to now is the bar on the top floor of the Millennium Hilton, on the other side of the Chao Prya. The difference to Skybar at State Tower is that this one is entirely indoors, but there's massive windows all the way around giving a fantastic panoramic view across the city.

Gaccha's list is an absolute blast :)

1. have a steak at the check in suk. best anywhere 400 bht and you get a chipmunk show

I like it there too but that bloody smell of damp hits you in the face as soon as you venture in. God knows what it's like now smoking is banned. The Filipina singers were terrific.Are they still performing?

A trip up river on the stopping ferry for a pittance is an almost must. The tourist boats are fine but observing the Thai commuters is all part of the show.

Soi Cowboy in preference to Patpong is recommended for the louche side of things.

Bruce Gaston's show at Tawandaeng amidst the horde scoffing Thai food and drinking columns of beer to enjoy Thai having fun.

Yes the damp smacks you in the face hard, don't know why they cant fix that . Same show every night, still the best 400 bht steakhouse around if you can put up with that rain forest lots of mammals smell

Edited by zorro1

I can add one more. Buy a GPS and program where you hotel is located. Then, WALK across Bangkok. Start early in the morning and head in any direction. Take in the sights along the way and have no time schedule. Then, try and find your way back in the evening. Write down the name of your hotel on a piece of paper and get the clerk to write it in Thai as well. That way you can always take a taxi home.
Completely agree on this one. I look at the number of walking and cycling tours and they make sense, but I sort of shake my head. It's such a safe place to get around yourself.

One thing I tell visitors to do is on weekends take a taxi down to the Khlong Toey port early in the morning, go to the pier by Wat Khlong Toey Nok, catch a boat either to the pier at Bang Kachao for 10b (Bpad Ching?) or at Wat Bang Kor Bua 40b and then walk your way over, through the park, to the floating market at Wat Bang Nam Pheung. They sell tours to do this, but it's easily accessible and there's no need to book a tour. Helps to have a GPS if you don't know where you're going, but if you can master the phrase "talaat nam" and/or maybe "Bang Nam Pheung" then the friendly local people will always point you the way.

That green area is probably going to be gone within ten years with all the bridges and the building going on and man am I going to miss how quaint and rural and rustic and just green it is.

Edited by on-on

1. Done (about 3000 times)

2. Done (don't like it)

3. Not done (too expensive)

4. Sort of not done/done (It's been closed to the public for years I thought but walk through the hotel and you can see lots of wooden phalli lying around)

5. Done (but didn't catch jack - you've gotta use those chemicals to attract the fish)

6. Not done

7. Done

8. Done

9. Done

10. Done (What's this tipping business??)

Number 3 is actually a cheap(ish) night out! Red Sky offers from 5 to 8 everyday unlimited red or white wine (many choices) and tapas for 1000 baht. I've done it several times now it's great!!!

I would like to add: See the city from the river, either hire a private boat, take the river taxis or a dinner cruise.

GM of my previous company took me and a guest on thos river dinner cruise, so boring!

So the next day I rented a longtail for a few hours, it was one of the best things (from tourist point) that happened to him.

post-13-1250971557_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971542_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971530_thumb.jpgpost-13-1250971490_thumb.jpg

พิพิธภัณฑ์ช้างเอราวัณ

Must have been here a dozen times ...not to be missed......will be easier to get to when Soi Baring is finished :)

PLACE: The Erawan Museum (chang erawan)

OPENING HOURS: 8 a.m.-6 p.m.

ADMISSION: 150 baht for adults, 50 baht for children. 50 baht baht for visiting the grounds only.

Thai people same price.

As you drive into Samut Prakan Province from Bangkok, you can't help but notice the giant three-headed elephant alongside Sukhumwit Road.

This is the Erawan Museum contained within the world's largest elephant. The height is about 50 metres or 15 storeys high.

The five storey museum inside the elephant contains antiquities.

The Erawan Museum is owned by the same ompany as Ancient Siam. You can join tours that go every half an hour. This starts in the base of the pedestal which is a kind of museum of antiquities.

Then you go up inside right up to the belly of the elephant. Make sure that you check out the small window that gives you fine views of the surrounding area.

Getting there: Bus no. 25, 142, 365 and air-con bus 102, 507, 511, 536. A taxi from On Nut Sky Train station won't cost more than 100 baht and will take about 35 minutes. :D

If you take the expressway the slip road brings you out right at the enterance.