Ford-a Turnaround Stock Or A Rip Stock.

I say a turnaround stock,but its currently trading at $7.72 with an EPS ttm of -2.072,so maybe its overvalued even now,but you get my drift. :)

I'm not even assuming theres any experts on here with regards to stocks,but to me its more about consumer confidence in Ford,once you figure out if they can survive their heavy debt burden.

If given a choice i dont see why i would buy a new Ford when you could buy a perfectly good Toyota as lets face it Toyota are unlikely to dissapear any time soon,& they make great reliable cars with no danger of costcutting on design or build,but i'm from the UK,& Ford is as american as apple pie,or Britney Spears...cough,cough.Would american patriotism come into play?

I suppose a positive is that as yet Ford hasnt received any bailout money,but the stock has risen quite alot since mid feb.

Insider buying is at 3.78%,the last was at the 30th june,which doesnt inspire confidence,but a plus if you consider in getting in early?

I suppose the main thing for me though is that with economic downturns its the auto manufacturers that are hit the hardest,but i figure these cyclical stocks will rise the hardest at some point,but that does not mean ford will rise with them.

I believe that in the 1st quarter Fords sales were the least to depreciate.

So any thoughts on consumer confidence in Ford cars,or should i stick to Britney Spears?

If I were to buy a US car, I would buy a Ford. They just have cars that I would want. I seriously considered a Mustang and the Focus when I was looking on my last purchase. But the insurance on a Mustang was about 50% higher than on my BMW, so I went BMW. Guess it's the demographics of Mustang drivers. The Focus is actually a very nice car for budget shoppers.

But Ford does not anticipate being profitable until 2011. They also have the most underfunded pension out of the Big 3. And the cash for clunkers program which has juiced sales ends on Monday.

Ford had 2 of the top 10 popular cash for clunkers purchases (and 5 of 10 most popular trade-ins):

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2009...s-new-cars.html

But look at oil. It has quietly doubled since the beginning of the year. Imagine if you get job/economic growth and probably even higher oil prices. Would that mean more Ford sales or less? They have nice small cars, but they are still heavy in big trucks and SUVs. I'd say net positive, but that doesn't mean the current price is ok. It was less than $2 early in the year.

"I'm not even assuming theres any experts on here with regards to stocks,but to me its more about consumer confidence in Ford,once you figure out if they can survive their heavy debt burden."

Except for the stock price, do you have any familiarity with Ford? The company has slashed debt by 40%, avoided bankruptcy, and hasn't received any governmental funds.

"I'm not even assuming theres any experts on here with regards to stocks,but to me its more about consumer confidence in Ford,once you figure out if they can survive their heavy debt burden."

Except for the stock price, do you have any familiarity with Ford? The company has slashed debt by 40%, avoided bankruptcy, and hasn't received any governmental funds.

Quote uptou (Britney Spears expert)-"I'm not even assuming theres any experts on here with regards to stocks...."

I kind of new that line would upset somebodies ego,even if it was written innocently.The whole point of the thread was to get opinions on consumer confidence in Ford due to any possible damage to reputation that would prevent people buying.You dont need to be a wall street analyst for that,just owning a Ford is good enough for me.

But i would be interested in anything you know about the stock,that i havent already mentioned.

A friend back from China has been looking for cars the Ford dealers have been selling the most cars of the big three. The reasoning from the Ford dealers, people have no confidence in GM or Chryseler that they will be around in the future. But the sales people are crying not enough cars and trucks on the lot are they could sale more.

i work for GM motors in the uk, and there is now a huge wait for cars ! , they are selling more then they can produce ! , Ford is similar, even after a 1,400 GBP price hike on the fiesta, there is still a 4 month wait on them ! ... the car market is not as dead as what people see.. one such franchise i work with have sold 39,000 cars year to date...