Long Term Overstay

If he has no entry information expect he will be detained and deported. Should have 20k plus for fines and money for ticket home. If possible probably be good to have a lawyer accompany to immigration and be prepared to follow there instructions. If entry documented it may be a lot easier but 5 years is rather hard to be a mistake and may require a police investigation.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently have an overstay of over 5 years and have no valid visa (any visas) in my passport. What would be the best course of action do you think if I want to leave?

As soon you have the funds for fine, air ticket and lawyer fees; I would suggest you to

contact Sunbelt a.s.a.p., they have been recently very helpful for someone in the same case than yours.

Actually, worst... that was 7 years overstay, no passport and no TM card!

No more TM card was actually the major problem, because immigration was not able to trace his entry, it took 2/3 weeks to clear it;

but by having a representative lawyer, they didn't put him in detention while waiting.

• 4 weeks later...
You can apply at any immigration office.

You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay page and your TM6 departure card.

A completed TM7 form with one 4 X 6 cm photo attached and 1900 baht.

Thanks joe, worked out fine for me.

In addition to the above make sure you have an updated copy of your Ticket/Travel out of Thailand that shows a departure date within 7 days of your currently valid/permitted departure date on the original visa/entry stamp.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys ,

Well this is a very interesting topic , i am actually one of those persons who had a 2 and a half year overstay ,was going to leave the country finally getting my shit together , a few foreigners , by jalousy , dicided to set me up for selling marijuana (wich i don't) , after going to the extent of filming me with hidden camera and making it look like i was dealing , they got the narcotic police down to my place ,with a warrent , what they found was less than a gr of weed in my room, they arrested me and my wife , didn't care much for my crying son, took us to narcotic office in bangkok .Bailed my wife out a few days later and went to bkk hilton 4 a week ,then managed to bail myself out . On top of that my passport showed a 2 and a half year overstay .

Been to Bangkok court for my trial that lasted a year , won the case and was given a chance by the judge who was very professional .

Will be going to court to pickup my passport and pay my fine soon.

My plan is to fly to laos get a visa and never overstay again .

Will tell how it went when i get back :)

EDIT If you are on overstay, even a short one, avoid the cheap option of doing a land border crossing. The border run buses are often stopped and passports examined, I have seen one person (not a farang) removed from the bus for being overstay, not worth the risk. At one point Cambodia were refusing entry if you had a Thai overstay stamp (dunno if still true).

In years of doing visa runs to Cambodia (Ban Laem) I've never heard of any vans being pulled over by police to check passports. I've even asked a few operators and they've never heard of it.

EDIT If you are on overstay, even a short one, avoid the cheap option of doing a land border crossing. The border run buses are often stopped and passports examined, I have seen one person (not a farang) removed from the bus for being overstay, not worth the risk. At one point Cambodia were refusing entry if you had a Thai overstay stamp (dunno if still true).

In years of doing visa runs to Cambodia (Ban Laem) I've never heard of any vans being pulled over by police to check passports. I've even asked a few operators and they've never heard of it.

Urban legend :)

I have several experiences of ID checks on buses and trains near land borders of Thailand, though the officials have never bothered white people.

AFAIK in case you are caught and detained you must appear in court!

The judge will set the fine which can be less the max of 20K or more...

Even if you pay that money immediately you will go to jail until the necessary paperwork has been done to deport you.

That includes an airline ticket! Don't know your nationality but generally don't expect too much assistance from your embassy.

You have overstayed!

If you have no funds - you go to jail and every day spend there will deducted from the fine set by the court by a certain amount of money.

Thats how it worked some couple of years ago but can't confirm it still valid these days.

My advise: stay low profile and fly out a.s.a.p.

Maximum of 20k,no more then that.Your information about the judge charging more is one hundred pcent wrong.

Hi Guys ,

Well this is a very interesting topic , i am actually one of those persons who had a 2 and a half year overstay ,was going to leave the country finally getting my shit together , a few foreigners , by jalousy , dicided to set me up for selling marijuana (wich i don't) , after going to the extent of filming me with hidden camera and making it look like i was dealing , they got the narcotic police down to my place ,with a warrent , what they found was less than a gr of weed in my room, they arrested me and my wife , didn't care much for my crying son, took us to narcotic office in bangkok .Bailed my wife out a few days later and went to bkk hilton 4 a week ,then managed to bail myself out . On top of that my passport showed a 2 and a half year overstay .

Been to Bangkok court for my trial that lasted a year , won the case and was given a chance by the judge who was very professional .

Will be going to court to pickup my passport and pay my fine soon.

My plan is to fly to laos get a visa and never overstay again .

Will tell how it went when i get back :)

There are many flaws in that made up story of yours,well done.

There are many flaws in that made up story of yours,well done.

Flaws ?!?

Well it is not a made up story my friend , it is funny when you hear peoples who have no clue about what they are talking about ! ( i have been leaving in Thailand for now 21 years , and full time not back and forth)

I went through all the above and it finished just like i said . Believe it or not .I just want people to know because i went through it , i didn't hear bullshit on a forum .

My fine was 2500 Baht , get my passport 3 weeks after court decision as they need to issue the court papers to imigration for them to release my passport.

Will post court paper when i got them obviously taking out the names.

I recomend you to check things before you make comments

Edited by kayaman

i have been leaving in Thailand for now 21 years , and full time not back and forth)

I went through all the above and it finished just like i said . Believe it or not .I just want people to know because i went through it , i didn't hear bullshit on a forum .

All I can say to that is what an utter chump for a 2 and a half year overstay. You obviously upset people too, otherwise why would you be "set up" Trolling perhaps :)

i have been leaving in Thailand for now 21 years , and full time not back and forth)

All I can say to that is what an utter chump for a 2 and a half year overstay. You obviously upset people too, otherwise why would you be "set up" Trolling perhaps :)

I did upset people as my business is working better than theirs do

The hallowed and legendary 7 day extension of stay for major overstay does happen, but I am increasingly seeing immigration officers not giving the hallowed 7 days! Rather 12-24 hours to get out of dodge!

The new visa rules are making more and more people overstay and immigration officers are not happy about this, as they see it as a slap in the face of Thai Immigration Law!

There is serious talk about people people that overstay more than 2 years ,being given a black ban/refused entry for a similar period of time. This comes from very high up! Of course you can appeal this in a court but......

Another issue I also find is that not having a TM card REQUIRES a lawyer to sort out things on your behalf. Immigration officers have a tendency to say, we can't find your record of entry and in our opinion you have obviously illegally entered and you have no choice but accept this and the court does get a bigger fine for this!

Don't overstay! Fines and conditions are getting worse.

BB

PS Oh and what Lopburi3 says is correct! Every long overstayer WILL have their name run on the Police Computer System to ensure you are not wanted!

Edited by Badbanker

You can apply at any immigration office.

You will need copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry/permit to stay page and your TM6 departure card.

A completed TM7 form with one 4 X 6 cm photo attached and 1900 baht.

What amazes me is why anyone should overstay!!?

There are so many avenues available to avoid this.

The only valid excuse i can see is if you have an accident.

Hey Cyb

I'm thinking to head off to Thailand and went on this website only tonight.

I'm realizing that the rules have changed since 2001, the last time I was there.

My previous info, from a Canadian government "expert" was that I could stay 3 months without a visa.

Also that an overstay was not recommended but could deal with it.

Good thing you guys have posted numerable posts about what can and does happen.

If I somehow made it into Thailand without looking at my passport stamp, then I for one would have been an over stay...

A final note, it looks like the playing field is changing for immigration, so what happened last year might be different next year,

There is serious talk about people people that overstay more than 2 years ,being given a black ban/refused entry for a similar period of time.

Just heard from a guy today on a visa run who was talking to someone several months back on 1 year overstay. He was told when he left that next time he overstayed he would be not allowed to return for 5 years.

I cannot verify this story personally, but it indicates that maybe they are toughening up on long overstays.