Kissing the Pink

sunholidaysun1

Thai men like to play snooker and its a very big competitive sport here . Have you ever played against a Thai and won the game ? Many that I have played, to me are like proffessionals ,considering the amount of time they spend in these snooker halls it suprises me that there are not more top players like Wattana on the Pro Circuit .

The bar girls are also like professional pool players, not easy to beat one , have you tried ?

Yes, I have played hundreds of times against Thais - I do live in Thailand. :) I've won many as I am good and Scottish. My country has by far the best players /capita in the world. I've played against a few pros and lost.

Bar girls aren't always good players, they just play a lot. I've beaten many that thought they were good. Pool is such an easy game.

With full respect for the Scots ..... I'd say the Philippines has far more excellent pool players. I've watched a lot of international pool and billards championship matches and I see many Philippinos but few, if any, Scots.

Being English I havent got a lot of respect for the Scots (because of their lack of respect for us) but I have to point out to HerbalEd that there has never been a world champion SNOOKER player from the Philipines. Unfortunately I have to admit that Scotland does seem to produce good snooker players even if they dont have much luck at anything else. hehehe

HL :)

problem with thailand - lot of sh*te tables and sticks. Makes it hard to win when not used to it.

Totally agree. Playing against anyone who really knows the speed and quirks of that particular table (and has already nabbed the one decent cue) puts you at a major handicap.

One thing I've noticed is that most Thai players (particularly the guys) tend to go for the "crowd-pleaser" shots - zapping the colour loudly into the pocket and little thought given to where the white ends up. Impressive potting skills - and better than I manage most of the time - but still only half the story without control of the white. Against that type of player, I've found that dropping repeated snookers on them (and blocking pockets with your own colours) often throws them off their accustomed game. Some get a bit peeved and maybe think you're not playing fair - but I've watched the likes of Maltese Joe repeatedly wait until they've got the table "ready" like this and then move in for the ball-after-ball clearance.

I only play pool with them when they beg as I am not that interested in playing pool anymore. I used to make money playing pool as a kid and can beat them easily. I throw all the games, not easy sometimes, but I learned they don't take to losing very well. Many can make the shot but very few know anything about English or ball handling and are consistently left with hard shots. Most never hit the ball with anything less than full power each shot. I dont know about the guys, since I only deal with the bar girls trying to get me into a game, but from what I have see they look like the are into a good game.

Thai men like to play snooker and its a very big competitive sport here . Have you ever played against a Thai and won the game ? Many that I have played, to me are like proffessionals ,considering the amount of time they spend in these snooker halls it suprises me that there are not more top players like Wattana on the Pro Circuit .

The bar girls are also like professional pool players, not easy to beat one , have you tried ?

Bargirls prosessional? Come on, if you even know the working end of the cue you are playing, you know they can

t play shit :)

Some of the thai guys are pretty good though, but most of the crack under pressure, prolly the reason they don't do so well in international games.

True - I played this one guy a few weeks back - 400 baht was the pot as it was double or quits (my m8 had just beaten him) - He had 3 chances to finish up and messed up under the pressure leaving us with no drinks to pay for :D

I was beaten by a lady boy once in Samui - but it doesn't happen often, BG can pot but make silly mistakes and don't know about positioning. Fair play to them though , i can roll up in most bars and have a good game with a lady - back home they are hopeless (ladies that is not BG).

!

they are for the most part very good potters of the target ball...... but they are also mostly totally inept at controlling where the cue ball is going to end up, I've lost the odd game of 8 ball, but challenge them to a game of 9 ball and watch the difference, especially if you have to call the pocket, never lost a single game of 9 ball yet.

agreed; often no idea on cue ball control - this most frustrating if you've been paired/doubles with a Thai player; their bash and crash not suited to my snooker-learnt pool playing tactics. Can't resist belting h*ll out of one over a pocket I left there as a block

buy hey, if that's all I've got to complain about in life . . .

it's good

It's mostly 8 ball over here, but there are some dedicated 9 ball places, and in busy places the guys and gals can usually rustle someone up to play you at 9 ball.

It is true that it is a great experience to play pool with beautiful friendly girls - especially when you are a handy player and can beat them - earns you some kudos I reckon...and remember status goes a long way over here......and it's all preferable to sitting round talking boll*x with bad loud music making it difficult........and you can really size a girl up when she's playing you at pool - so many excellent views and positions - many a deal has been brokered on and around the green beize (or blue or red or whatever) ....... :)

If only Connect-4 were an Olympic sport, Thailand would win the womens' Gold-Medal, every time. :)

Ha ha, how true is that!

It's actually not true at all, it can be very easy to beat even the most experienced Thai at Connect 4, in this case practice does not make perfect.

When it comes to pool, I've played against many Thais, and they are for the most part very good potters of the target ball...... but they are also mostly totally inept at controlling where the cue ball is going to end up, I've lost the odd game of 8 ball, but challenge them to a game of 9 ball and watch the difference, especially if you have to call the pocket, never lost a single game of 9 ball yet.

Absolutely!

Ultimately ,positional play is their downfall and I have rarely lost a game of pool while in Thailand.

I only play pool with them when they beg as I am not that interested in playing pool anymore. I used to make money playing pool as a kid and can beat them easily. I throw all the games, not easy sometimes, but I learned they don't take to losing very well. Many can make the shot but very few know anything about English or ball handling and are consistently left with hard shots. Most never hit the ball with anything less than full power each shot. I dont know about the guys, since I only deal with the bar girls trying to get me into a game, but from what I have see they look like the are into a good game.

Yep.

I used to play nine ball a lot for money and in tournaments in the USA, but strictly in pool halls where in my home state of New Jersey, alcohol cannot be served by law.

The first time I came to LOS 16 years ago, I spent 4 months in Chiang Mai, and hung out at a little bar called Hard Rock Cafe. The resident Thai pool shark beat me a few times playing for money but then I got back in stroke and adjusted to the table and he couldn't beat me after that. After he stiffed me the first time for 100 baht, I decided playing Thai guys for money in bars was probably a losing proposition. You could win a few hundred baht maybe, but lose a whole lot more in the parking lot. But to be fair, I never liked playing for money in bars in the States either, for exactly the same reason.

I live on Samui, but when I'm in Bangkok, once in while I play in bar in Nana that is very close to Sukhumvit. It has many tables in pretty good condition, and a lot of girls who think they can play. Some of them can pocket (pot for you Brits) a lot of balls, but Thai bar girls shoot pool the way they live their lives, without a thought for the future, i.e. no positional play. Even the best are easy to beat unless you get real bad rolls. Unfortunately in this particular bar, the girls can get very nasty when you beat them. It seems like many of them are doped up on yaba.

BTW as a pool player I am in awe of professional snooker players, and since I left the USA I now much prefer to watch snooker on TV. After trying to pot balls on a snooker table pool seems like a joke, though I still respect a guy who can run out a few racks in a row playing nine ball, or get a 100+ run in straight pool. Does anyone still play that?

Yep.

I used to play nine ball a lot for money and in tournaments in the USA, but strictly in pool halls where in my home state of New Jersey, alcohol cannot be served by law.

The first time I came to LOS 16 years ago, I spent 4 months in Chiang Mai, and hung out at a little bar called Hard Rock Cafe. The resident Thai pool shark beat me a few times playing for money but then I got back in stroke and adjusted to the table and he couldn't beat me after that. After he stiffed me the first time for 100 baht, I decided playing Thai guys for money in bars was probably a losing proposition. You could win a few hundred baht maybe, but lose a whole lot more in the parking lot. But to be fair, I never liked playing for money in bars in the States either, for exactly the same reason.

I live on Samui, but when I'm in Bangkok, once in while I play in bar in Nana that is very close to Sukhumvit. It has many tables in pretty good condition, and a lot of girls who think they can play. Some of them can pocket (pot for you Brits) a lot of balls, but Thai bar girls shoot pool the way they live their lives, without a thought for the future, i.e. no positional play. Even the best are easy to beat unless you get real bad rolls. Unfortunately in this particular bar, the girls can get very nasty when you beat them. It seems like many of them are doped up on yaba.

BTW as a pool player I am in awe of professional snooker players, and since I left the USA I now much prefer to watch snooker on TV. After trying to pot balls on a snooker table pool seems like a joke, though I still respect a guy who can run out a few racks in a row playing nine ball, or get a 100+ run in straight pool. Does anyone still play that?

yep, that was where I grew up, good pastime for poor kids and a way to hustle a few bucks....of course there were many times the whole pool hall was beating on each other over a game