Danish Passport For My Thai Son

I am a Danish national, living and working in Thailand.

I am cohabiting with my son's mother - now for 4 years.

My son has a Thai passport and he is 2 years old.

Now I would like to know how and where I can get a Danish passport for my son?

Does anyone know?

Or do I just email the Danish embassy and ask the same question?

Thanks... :)

I am a Danish national, living and working in Thailand.

I am cohabiting with my son's mother - now for 4 years.

My son has a Thai passport and he is 2 years old.

Now I would like to know how and where I can get a Danish passport for my son?

Does anyone know?

Or do I just email the Danish embassy and ask the same question?

Thanks... :)

I don't know much about the subject (it's not relevant for me), but I do know that Denmark isn't as easy as most other EU countries when it comes to citizenship and especially double citizenship. The latter is at present only allowed when aquired by birth. If you yourself were to gain Thai citizenship you would lose your Danish citizenship.

It sounds like you are not presently married to your son's mother, and I am assuming that your son was born in Thailand? If this is the case, then I don't believe that your son is presently eligible for Danish citizenship. However, should you later decide to marry your son's mother, your son should then be able to gain Danish citizenship. I might very well have misinterpreted the info I have read, so by all means seek expert advice on the matter.

You can read more about Danish citizenship by birth by following this link.

Hope this helps, although it probably isn't what you were hoping for.

Sophon

You say cohabiting with the mother, so i presume you are not married. In that case you have to legitimise your son, in essence officialy state that the child is your. Only when yu legitimise the child will you be regarded as the father.

As the child is born in Thailand you normaly do this under Thai law. Thai law requires that you registered the birth of the child yourself at the amphur. If anybody else did this, including the hospital you are legaly not considered the father.

It is possible that you registered the child at the Danish embassy, in which case you might be considerd the father under Danish law. Your embassy will be able to tell you more about this.

Thanks for the info :)

I just got an email from the Danish Embassy in Bangkok, that If/when I marry my son's Thai mother, then I can apply for a Danish passport for him in BKK.

We will then get the passport for my son within 3 to 4 weeks from the Danish Passport Division in Denmark.

So everything is just fine :D

Thanks for the info :)

I just got an email from the Danish Embassy in Bangkok, that If/when I marry my son's Thai mother, then I can apply for a Danish passport for him in BKK.

We will then get the passport for my son within 3 to 4 weeks from the Danish Passport Division in Denmark.

So everything is just fine :D

But note that unless your son spends considerable time in Denmark (more than one year to be on the safe side) before his 22nd birthday, then he will lose his citizenship again. So unless you plan to move back to Denmark at some point, it might be worth considering sending him to Denmark for a year or two of secondary education when the time comes.

Of course, the regulations could have changed by then.

Sophon