No Visa, No Passport, What To Do?

Hi, I've read about the horrific tales of jail sentences, heavy fines and deportations. We are a European family who has run out of money, but making ends meet on a small scale by teaching English and French. I've lost my EU passport and can't get a replacement because the authorities require my original birth certificate, which I no longer have. Unfortunately, I was born in a country where the records got destroyed due to war.

So we're kind of stuck in Thailand (and not unhappy about that at all). However, we have two small children and expired visas on my wife and children's passports. I don't want to send them out of the country in case they get arrested.

I'm worried about what would happen if we got discovered. I might have to spend a long time in prison (at least I'll get fed and be able to practice my Thai). But what would happen to my wife and children? And what do we do if we can't pay the fine or afford to pay for flights back to our 'home' country? Will the Thai authorities pay for this, or will they just expect us to languish in jail?

Ironically, we could be doing very well simply by going on the dole in Europe. But we like Thailand, and the kids have made lots of friends.

The whole business about shlepping backwards and forwards to the borders or neighbouring countries every 30 or 90 days seems ludicrous. I read that this is to prevent undesirables from staying in the country. Well it doesn't! Undesirables will find a way to stay in the country without having to go through passport control, while the regular tourists are inconvenienced for no good reason. I would have thought that allowing tourists leave to remain for extended periods would be good for Thailand. Some of the foreign people we know have been living here for 10 or even 15 years. They don't leave the country every three months. I think the companies they work for may have managed to get them some sort of extended leave.

Any ideas about what we can do? Or should I simply begin to prepare myself for a long stay in prison, in which case what will happen to the children and will my wife also be expected to go to prison?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm the english is a bit good for someone with a "EU passport". Usually when someone says the eu they mean mainland europe.

and the caring sharing father is now worried about the kids or wife . never seemed to worry when the passport was lost or was overstaying the visa or working illegaly.....

troll

I suspect a troll as well. There are too many flaws in his email.

Surely, if he came from a war torn country, his embassy would be well used to dealing with cases like this. What about his wife and children. The email suggests they have EU passports. Those passports must count towards identification at the embassy.

No mention is made of how long they have overstayed their visas.

My first thoughts are: he is attempting to use sympathy to have people sent money.

NL

I might have to spend a long time in prison (at least I'll get fed and be able to practice my Thai).

I admire this line. Always looking on the bright side of life. :o

However, I can think of better ways of learning Thai.

Edited by ~G~

I might have to spend a long time in prison (at least I'll get fed and be able to practice my Thai).

I admire this line. Always looking on the bright side of life. :o

However, I can think of better ways of learning Thai.

If at all true I think you'll be fluent in Nigerian at the end of your stay at Suan Phlu!

a European family who has run out of money, but making ends meet on a small scale by teaching English and French.

I've lost my EU passport and can't get a replacement because the authorities require my original birth certificate, .

born in a country where the records got destroyed due to war.

So we're kind of stuck in Thailand (and not unhappy about that at all). -SHOULD BE

However, we have two small children and expired visas on my wife and children's passports.

I don't want to send them out of the country in case they get arrested. :D

I'm worried about what would happen if we got discovered.

But what would happen to my wife and children? And what do we do if we can't pay the fine or afford to pay for flights back to our 'home' country? Will the Thai authorities pay for this, or will they just expect us to languish in jail? :D

Ironically, we could be doing very well simply by going on the dole in Europe. But we like Thailand, and the kids have made lots of friends.

I read that this is to prevent undesirables from staying in the country. Well it doesn't! Undesirables will find a way to stay in the country without having to go through passport control

Any ideas about what we can do? Or should I simply begin to prepare myself for

Could be trolling but lets see:

A. Teaching ...got a work permit :D

B. Stuck in LOS -No Dosh and Not Unhappy...

C. Lost my EU passport and can't get a replacement :o

D. Expired visas on my wife and children's passports. :D

E. I don't want to send them out of the country in case they get arrested.????

Arrested by what country?....are you a war crim or wot?

F. Could be doing very well simply by going on the dole in Europe :D

G. Undesirables will find a way to stay in the country without ---Yeah True

So what does that make....as said ...lets see. :D

Hi, I've read about the horrific tales of jail sentences, heavy fines and deportations. We are a European family who has run out of money, but making ends meet on a small scale by teaching English and French. I've lost my EU passport and can't get a replacement because the authorities require my original birth certificate, which I no longer have. Unfortunately, I was born in a country where the records got destroyed due to war.

So we're kind of stuck in Thailand (and not unhappy about that at all). However, we have two small children and expired visas on my wife and children's passports. I don't want to send them out of the country in case they get arrested.

I'm worried about what would happen if we got discovered. I might have to spend a long time in prison (at least I'll get fed and be able to practice my Thai). But what would happen to my wife and children? And what do we do if we can't pay the fine or afford to pay for flights back to our 'home' country? Will the Thai authorities pay for this, or will they just expect us to languish in jail?

The whole business about shlepping backwards and forwards to the borders or neighbouring countries every 30 or 90 days seems ludicrous. I read that this is to prevent undesirables from staying in the country. Well it doesn't! Undesirables will find a way to stay in the country without having to go through passport control, while the regular tourists are inconvenienced for no good reason. I would have thought that allowing tourists leave to remain for extended periods would be good for Thailand. Some of the foreign people we know have been living here for 10 or even 15 years. They don't leave the country every three months. I think the companies they work for may have managed to get them some sort of extended leave.

Any ideas about what we can do? Or should I simply begin to prepare myself for a long stay in prison, in which case what will happen to the children and will my wife also be expected to go to prison?

This is actually one of the best recent trolls. Though it is obvious. I suppose its better than (my gf in Samui is asking for money for her stolen motorbike.)5555555555

Give it up. TROLL!

Thanks guys. I do not know what a troll is, but it sounds really horrible. I thought I would get some genuine advice, but I will have to look somewhere else.

I don't want to say what my passport is because it may be easy to discover who I am from my country of origin. It is better for me if you think it is UK or Irish.

For my birth certificate, I was able to produce it when I originally applied for my passport. When I renewed my passport, I only had to hand in the passport that was expired. However, when it became time to replace a lost passport, I was told that I had to provide an original birth certificate.

My country of birth is not a war-torn country and I did not enter the EEC as an asylum seeker. There was a war and the administration was changed. Many birth and death records got lost.

Finally, I am not looking for sympathy and I don't need a work permit. I have many happy customers who pay me well for private teaching, at least enough for us to get by on. We have not left the country for a long time. We overstayed the visa by a week and I learned that we might get into lots of trouble, so we just didn't go on a visa run and it just carried on from there. And I'm not looking for money for a ticket to Europe. If we get caught I know that the Thai government will have to pay for this or pay to keep me in jail or both.

Maybe you can tell me about Malaysia. Someone told me that you can sneak into Malaysia by boat or through the fields and then go to the embassy there to get out of the country and not have to pay fines or go to jail.

I'm too afraid to go to the thai visa officials to own up and we don't want to leave Thailand just yet. We are very happy here. I don't mind going to jail if I have to (because I can learn better Thai and teach), but I just want to know if my wife and children can avoid punishment. And I want to know how long I must stay in jail because my wife will have to look after the children on her own. She can get money from the government in any country in Europe until I get back and make my own money.

The thing I find silly is that it will cost different governments a lot of money to look after us or pay for flights etc. for something that I am not a criminal for. I work hard and I am honest, but because we want to live in a country we are making a crime. I know it happens also in Europe, but you don't go to jail. You just get sent home, wherever that is. I have friends who did that two or three times.

I think it is stupid of governments because the real criminals can always get in if they want to and people like me do good work and sometimes make employment for others. Even though I'm not rich in Thailand, I still pay rent, we have a cleaner and a nanny who get paid more than some of the rich families pay their workers, and I employ freelance people to help make and translate my lesson material. I think I am also a very good teacher and I am helping some Thai students to find work or study overseas.

wow... now I really want to help even more. Is it possible to take French lessons?

:D Call me cynical if you will, but knowing of the Nigerian Scam, am getting the feeling that French lessons could be obtained in any one of several African countries!

This "honest" guy just sounds absolutely unreal. Either on the make, as I suspect (from playing on the 'sympathy' vote) or another Troll. :o

Edited by A. BOOZER

...Maybe you can tell me about Malaysia. Someone told me that you can sneak into Malaysia by boat or through the fields ....

Yes, we'll just wait for someone to post the precise details for you - which boat, the captain's name, how much, etc.

wow... now I really want to help even more. Is it possible to take French lessons?

I don't he means the same sort of French lessons as you are possibly thinking of... :o

Well thanks but no thanks. I've looked up what a troll is and if anyone is a troll, it's all the people who made fun of my question. A troll is someone who makes irrelevant comments just to annoy or poke fun at others or make them feel stupid.

Well you certainly are making me feel stupid for asking for advice. I think you guys are such an unhelpful lot of jerks that it makes me believe the whole forum is not worth the space in my bookmark list. I will cancel my membership.

Please don't waste your time responding. It would be better if the administrator deleted this whole thread.

... - don't trolls usually live under bridges?  :o  :D

From here: http://www.fremontseattle.com/myths/trolledit.htm

Historically, trolls are part of Scandinavian folklore. They were found either as dwarfs or giants living in caves, by the sea, in the forest or under bridges. They lived in clans or families and were characterized as being ferocious, ugly creatures fond of eating human flesh (and even the occasional Volkswagen). Most trolls used to dwell in dark places because they cannot tolerate sunlight. (Sunscreen has now changed all this.) They are usually grey or green in color, and sometimes scaly. Trolls are described as having monstrously ugly faces, enormous noses, arms that hang below their knees. They are known to be very strong and powerful. Trolls are fascinated by jewelry in general, gold, silver and shiny things on cars in particular. They are also attracted to small children and luminous women. Trolls often live to be very old. They are known to be incorrigibly mischievous pranksters by nature.

Well thanks but no thanks. I've looked up what a troll is......stupid.

Well you certainly are making me feel stupid for asking for advice.....I will cancel my membership.

troll.gif

Dear "lost": Thanks for giving us a laugh. Keeps life interesting. See ya later. :o

Hi,

related to this topic, does the 20 000 bht fine is still accepted or does the law is stricly enforced, in the particulary case of a long overstay, let say more than 5 years?

that is not, God thanks my case, even if my bank account will open to generous donators (SCB 5-555-55555) lol.

Apart this innocent joke, the question is not troll related, but very serious. I ahve a case like that in my neiborought. I just try tto help but with accurate information.

By advance thanks

Roxaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane

still wondering how is HK at this moment?