Pros And Cons Please

I have been giving some thought to starting a Mexican returant in an area where there is none for a 100 KMS. A good size farrang population, but not a tourist area.

One thing that seems obvious to me is availablity of supplies, good corn tortilla being a biggy. This is one that I'm working on for myself if nothing else.

Avacados at reasonable prices and a contant supply would seem to be difficult.

Any thoughts are welcome.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you a chef? not being able to make your own corn tortillas would be the first major stumbling block that comes to mind, avocados are available but you will be hard pressed to find pinto beans although these could be imported but not sure if any restictions apply.

I would always be concerned about relying on falang as your main source of income in a non tourist area, most people here love Thai food and eat it almost exclusively.

I owned two mexican resteraunts in the UK, I like mexican food but it is a little limited in variety

On my trips to LOS I always spend 6 months at a time. While I love thai food it's nice to find a change of pace.

Mexican food is my 2nd love, very difficult too find in bangers for me though.

There used to be one at the entrance to Patpong on Silom that I tried several times....sadly it was pure crap!

Whatever you do, if you plan to open a Mexican restaurant PLEASE make it a decent one. Good Mexican food is not that hard to make, if you take the time to learn how to do it right (and know what good Mexican food tastes like to begin with). We don't need another El Gordo.

Are you a chef? not being able to make your own corn tortillas would be the first major stumbling block that comes to mind, avocados are available but you will be hard pressed to find pinto beans although these could be imported but not sure if any restictions apply.

I would always be concerned about relying on falang as your main source of income in a non tourist area, most people here love Thai food and eat it almost exclusively.

I owned two mexican resteraunts in the UK, I like mexican food but it is a little limited in variety

That was quick thanks, good cook yes chef no. I worked up a design for a tortilla press and am having it built here, for myself. That truly would be the biggy since the corn Tortilla you find here just are not good enough. So refried beans can be purchased here but they are costly. I'm the same way about Thia food although I do love good mexican food so far all I have found is what I make at home. You may be right especially when you would really be limiting yourself to west coast Americans. Fortunatley my retirement is sufficient enough that I dont have to earn a living at it.

Maybe I should talk someone else into opening one so I can be a customer. Udon is the area that I am speaking of, there are several farrang resturants in the area and as long as the food is good they do all right. I doubt that anyone is becoming wealthy and they probably make a much on the bar if not more then the food.

I think the tortilla problem could be solved from local products, although it would probably require some reciepe changes everything accept the beans seem to be here.

aaaah! the topic of mexican food, almost a year ago i was talking about opening a mexican resturant in bangkok, for my research i find that Thai do not like mexican food, 8 out of 10 thai say they don't like mexican food, i did alots of searching for a decend mexican resturant to dine in but all fail misable, keep the food real, no fake stuff, is the way to go.

What about refried Kidney beans instead of Pinto beans? I tried it once and it was tasty. They're around 20 baht per kilo around here...

There is a tortilla factory in Bkk (wholesale corn tortillas run about 3 baht, wholesale, sold by the kilo) that makes corn and flour tortillas and also chips, which are equal or better than the American stuff, in my opinion...

All the ingredients for most any Mexican dish are available here, bar some pepper varieties and fish, perhaps...

Avocados are another story. In the North anyway, they are quite seasonal, and currently unavailable as near as I can tell, and I always keep a good eye out for them in the open markets... Maybe areas around Bkk are better. Avocados haven't been widely available here for long, anyway. I only know of avocados from the north and Burma, but I'm sure they're available from Malaysia and maybe Indonesia, too.

A good case study would be to talk to that tortilla factory owner as to why they closed down Charlie Brown's (downstairs from the factory). Mexican restaurant, away from the tourist area, Town in Town area of Bangkok. Decent food in my opinion, but shut down for about 2 years now (I think).

:o

A few comments:

Avacados are expensive and seasonal but they are not absolutely necessary for every Mexican food or meal.

Why not make them a special extra (prices separately) for when they are available, and offer a well made guacamole when you can.

As far as Thai people not liking Mexican food, well how can you blame them?

If they have tried it, it is almost definitely the shoddy crapola Mexican food generally offered in Thailand.

They also don't like Tequila. Again, how can you blame them? They know it as the cheap vomit juice that makes Mekhong Whiskey look like VSOP cognac.

Thais also generally don't like Indian food, but I have seen Thais "converted" by trying good Indian food.

It might pay off to offer lots of discount coupons to get people to sample your food (assuming you can pull off making it good).

And don't forget to make the salsas PICANTE.

Edited by Thaiquila

A good case study would be to talk to that tortilla factory owner as to why they closed down Charlie Brown's (downstairs from the factory).    Mexican restaurant, away from the tourist area, Town in Town area of Bangkok.      Decent food in my opinion, but shut down for about 2 years now (I think).

Moved, actually. Now located in Sukhumvit Soi 11 (behind Cheap Charlie's).

Salsa regular, Salsa picante, guacamole, fish tacos, carne asada burritos, taquitos, huevos rancheros, ceviche ...... y mucho mas; pero esta bien por ahora. Nos vemos en Udon!

if you make outstanding salsas, I'll drive there once a month for lunch.

If you make all of the above, I'll fly there once a week.

If you get some Mescal, I'll move there.

Best of luck amigo. The key is the SALSA.

:o:D

A good case study would be to talk to that tortilla factory owner as to why they closed down Charlie Brown's (downstairs from the factory).    Mexican restaurant, away from the tourist area, Town in Town area of Bangkok.      Decent food in my opinion, but shut down for about 2 years now (I think).

Moved, actually. Now located in Sukhumvit Soi 11 (behind Cheap Charlie's).

Cool. The OP might want to pick the owner's brains about the chances of opening a restaurant well away from the city. In about a dozen visits to the old Charlie Brown, we were the only customers there on every occasion save twice.

:D

Edited by Heng

So the corn meal for the tortillas is readily available? How do you say it in Thai? Is there a good source for Jose Cuervo or other popular mexican liquors?

If I had a bar, I'd install a grill and let the sweet smell of my marinated meat cooking over an open flame do the advertising. I'd get the bg's loving it and then cut them off unless the customers buy them an overpriced lady's taco and they'd be known as taco girls.

Only problems I foresee is the confusion about what kind of taco the customer wants and getting the bg's to exercise and/or keep off the pounds.

Most mex places in thailand only seem to focus on the margaritas.

Anyone know if the Senor Pico's at the Rembrandt is related to the chain by the same name that has brances in San Francisco and Los Angeles? I never thought much of the one in San Francisco, but have had some good meals at the one in the Rembrandt. Of course, different place, different standards.

You need to track down a guy named Rob (and whose last name I can't remember). He's a restaurant guy from San Francisco who, with a partner, started Tequila Reef in Pattaya several years ago. When Rob was in the kitchen there, it served unquestionably the best Mexican food I have ever eaten outside of the continental USA.

I remember sitting with Rob a number of evenings in Pattaya and hearing his tales of difficulty in sourcing the raw materials to run a reasoanble Mexican kitchen in Thailand. As I recall, the price and availability of cheese was one of his major problems.

Anyway, Rob left Pattaya about a year ago and opened a place in Bangkok that was supposed to be called Blue Barbeque, and recently I heard that he was involved with something called The Great American Rib Joint (or some close to that) in Sukhumvit 38 in Bangkok. If you are near Bangkok, it would really be worth you time to try and find him. He's a heck of a nice guy and has already fought all the problems you're talking about. I'm sure he would be willing to share his experiences if you can find him.

There is a tortilla factory in Bkk (wholesale corn tortillas run about 3 baht, wholesale, sold by the kilo) that makes corn and flour tortillas and also chips, which are equal or better than the American stuff, in my opinion...

Contact Dan Loveland

Tel: (662) 530-3713

His company makes Danitas corn chips and corn/flour tortillas

No. Don't allow any pros or cons into your Mexican retaurant. Even if they say please. Keep it a family place.

You are still sharp Ajarn. :D

It seems we're the only ones, Doc :D

It is an uphill battle with this lot :D

No shit! :D

Gay forum if you please Ajarn :D

Are you showing me the way? :o:D

Why this rubbish in a perfectly good thread. If you want to talk privatly use PM. It is rather unpleasent to scroll through large amounts of quotes with a single line answer. And totally off topic. As is mine unfortunately. :o

Dear Dr. You are an admin, is that why moderators leave you alone with all your off topic one liners.

So that feels better. :D

Edited by Khun Jean

Why this contaminatio of a perfectly good thread. If you want to talk privatle use PM. It is rather unpleasent to scroll through large amounts of quotes with a single line answer. And totally off topic. As is mine unfortunately. Dear Dr. You are an admin, is that why moderators leave you alone with all your off topic one liners.

So that feels better. :o

You are right, of course. Just joking a bit, but my apologies for my going off-course and possibly annoying others...