Want To Buy An Suv

triffid

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the Everest is made in Thailand...

The cheapest is 2.5 XLT TDCi, 5 sp manual, Diesel Commonrail Turbo intercooler, 143HP cost 959,000 baht..

A lot of car for the money...

Re the web page the 3.0 lt one is Automatic only and 156HP

Volvo XC 90 2nd hand. Great car!

Agree a great car, but never seen a second hand Diesel or a manual XC90 in the same price range [a 2003 Petrol is around the same price] a second hand Turbo Diesel XC90 is around the same price/year as a BMW X3 Turbo Diesel

2005 Landrover Discovery Turbo Diesel is in the same price range. as is a 2007 Turbo Diesel Freelander...

To have all 2nd hand in the same sort of price range then a MERCEDES-BENZ ML-CLASS ML 270 CDI 2.7 MT 2002 ?

All great suvs, but never been sold by authorised dealers/importers with manual gear in LOS

Body built by THAI RUNG, Most are 2WD.......... ISUZU D-MAX ADVENTURE Master 3.0 Ddi i-TEQ MT 2007/8 or the NISSAN BIG-M FRONTIER1-2 XCITER 3.0 MT 2008, Most I have seen are manual and around 600,000 baht, so a lot cheaper then a MU-7/Fortuner, a year or 2 old.

Edited by ignis

Looked at the website; it looks good to me.

How new is in design etc - I don't mean just superficial tweaks?

It's built in Thailand I presume. I'd like to read some reviews - any pointers to find some?

Anyone have first hand feedback on it?

Old platform, rather modern engine. Handbrake under the stearingwheel is like 20 years old. Rear leafspring. As I said, only Fortuner and pajero Sport are up to date and adapted to current LOS tax rules. Shorter wheelbase and rear coilsprings

You seem to know your SUVs. May I ask from what year the Fortuner came with "proper" suspension?

I think I'll rule out the imports.

Does the MU7 Isuzu come with manual, diesel and leather seats? Is it as recent a design mechanically as the Everest and Mitsubishi Pajero Sprot? How would these compare for toughness, reliability, capacity/size?

I have ruled out also the Honda and Chevrolet as probably more a town car than for genuine rough road use - and also for looking the part. Am I very wrong to do so?

So far the Pajero seems best with Everest and MU7 as runner ups.

I think I'll rule out the imports.

Does the MU7 Isuzu come with manual, diesel and leather seats? Is it as recent a design mechanically as the Everest and Mitsubishi Pajero Sprot? How would these compare for toughness, reliability, capacity/size?

I have ruled out also the Honda and Chevrolet as probably more a town car than for genuine rough road use - and also for looking the part. Am I very wrong to do so?

So far the Pajero seems best with Everest and MU7 as runner ups.

I like the Everest, its honest and rugged, just like a crow-bar.

If you rule out the Captiva( its sophisticated so it dosent come with manual G/B (CRV dont come with either Manual or diesel so it was out from the start), Have a close look at the Fortuner, its a nice car, and there is some refinement. I think you can still get a manual 4WD, the "3.0G"

You will not get the answer here, you have to go and try the cars you think you like.

But if price rules, Ford.

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

Does the MU7 Isuzu come with manual, diesel and leather seats?

Yes to all, the MU-7 comes in 3 trims all have manual, diesel and leather seats options,

Wagon 4dr S Platinum 7st Man 5sp RWD 3.0DCT

Wagon 4dr S Platinum 7st Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT

Wagon 4dr Primo Platinum 7st Man 5sp RWD 3.0DCT (VGS,2TP,LST)

Wagon 4dr Primo Platinum 7st Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT (VGS,2TP,LST)

Wagon 4dr Primo Platinum 7st Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT (Touring Edition)

Wagon 4dr Activo Platinum 7st Man 5sp 4WD 3.0DCT (VGS,2TP,LST)

Wagon 4dr Activo Platinum 7st Auto 4sp 4WD 3.0DCT (VGS,2TP,LST)

The Isuzu is the cheapest of all to run + service + parts are much cheaper than all the other makes, the engine in a little noisier that is because Isuzu is the only engine that is chain driven.... all the others are belt driven.

The Fortuner only comes as Base model with Manual....

The Mitsubishi Pajero Sport is Auto only.....

The Ford Everest only comes as Base model with manual.....

Edited by ignis

I think for your specs the fortuner is the one that fits the most, 3.0G...

I can not see why an automatic is not an option...

If I were you I would look a lot more at the Pajero Sport, even the automatic box there has a tiptronic that works somehow... It is very nice, much nicer than the Toyota...

even the automatic box there has a tiptronic that works somehow

You move it into 'D' then push it over to the left, push up to change up and push back to change down, it is electric and has no clutch....

It is good for hills, or if you want to hold a gear......... most people use it to begin with as a novelty then just put it in to 'D' and rarely use the manual again.

I've had a car with this but a paddle on the steering so you don't have to take your hand off the wheel, after the novelty period the only time I ever used it was if I wanted to change down only 1 gear, as in full auto mode kick down will often drop 2 or 3 gears..

I don't know anyone that uses a tiptronic box as a manual only

I drive a diesel Captiva, (which also has tiptronic) I'd say its a town car that doesn't mind getting dirty.

90% of my driving is in town with the occasional rough roads and light off road whilst visiting factories etc. It handles fine but haven't really had cause to push it too far offroad though. (and yes I rarely use the tiptronic)

Edited by quiksilva

Looked at the website; it looks good to me.

How new is in design etc - I don't mean just superficial tweaks?

It's built in Thailand I presume. I'd like to read some reviews - any pointers to find some?

Anyone have first hand feedback on it?

Old platform, rather modern engine. Handbrake under the stearingwheel is like 20 years old. Rear leafspring. As I said, only Fortuner and pajero Sport are up to date and adapted to current LOS tax rules. Shorter wheelbase and rear coilsprings

You seem to know your SUVs. May I ask from what year the Fortuner came with "proper" suspension?

The Fortuner has been sold in LOS with rear coilsprings only. It was developed while LOS tax breaks still only allowed rear leafsprings, and was launched when this requirement ended, end of 2004. Compared to CRV, Captiva, BMW, Volvo, Land Rover and MB its still simple and basic suspension, but very sturdy and rough. Takes the beating as a pickup, but some more traction and comfort.

Mmm, ready to start a fight with Fortuner-lovers...

I am a very satisfied one and half year old MU7 owner. Every time I pass a Fortuner, I say myself how I made the right choice when I bought Isuzu and not Toyota. :)

Dont worry Angiud.

Izu is already working on rear coilsprings and an autobox to cope with the VGS power without having to detune the engines. Probably to be launched in december 2010. Only six years after Fortuner, and 1-2 years after Pajero Sport. The fight is on I guess :D

Edited by katabeachbum

The Fortuner has been sold in LOS with rear coilsprings only. It was developed while LOS tax breaks still only allowed rear leafsprings, and was launched when this requirement ended, end of 2004. Compared to CRV, Captiva, BMW, Volvo, Land Rover and MB its still simple and basic suspension, but very sturdy and rough. Takes the beating as a pickup, but some more traction and comfort.

Thanks for your reply! Then those last ones you mention are the ones I have to look at, don't like the bumpy ride in the Fortuners (and other SUVs), thought maybe they had changed something.

A last question before I mull over the advice offered and make my decision. Does anyone have any hard info on the new Kia Sorrento? Is this going to be available in Thailand? Will there be reasonable service and parts availability? Likely price?

Otherwize thanks to everyone who has given advice.

I am a very satisfied one and half year old MU7 owner. Every time I pass a Fortuner, I say myself how I made the right choice when I bought Isuzu and not Toyota. :)

Dont worry Angiud.

Izu is already working on rear coilsprings and an autobox to cope with the VGS power without having to detune the engines. Probably to be launched in December 2010. Only six years after Fortuner, and 1-2 years after Pajero Sport. The fight is on I guess :D

Do you know where we can get model info about the 2010 Mu7?

Dont worry Angiud.

Izu is already working on rear coilsprings and an autobox to cope with the VGS power without having to detune the engines. Probably to be launched in December 2010. Only six years after Fortuner, and 1-2 years after Pajero Sport. The fight is on I guess :D

Dont worry Angiud.

"Secret" testing in rayong area with rearcoilsprings and new auto. Huge investments in new body tools, engine and auto plant. And i guess it will be 2011 model presented at BKK motorshow december 2010

• 2 weeks later...

THe izusu and Everest are basically pickups with a station wagon body bolted on the chassis. I also believe that THe Izusu is a modifed model by Thairung not Izusu

THe Pajero and Fortuner are similar but have the luxury of modified rear suspension with coil springs.

My research leads me to believe they also have more sophisticated 4wd systems.

THey're all a bit crappy really, but they are simple and built to last.

THe Escape is a different animal with different construction (in the Philipines) but essentially a "soft-roader"

THe Volvo C90 is quite a lot dearer, even second hand - there's the C80 which is cheaper.

I also believe that THe Izusu is a modifed model by Thairung not Izusu

Yes and No...

The Mu-7 is in house by Isuzu

The GRAND ADVENTURE is by Thairung

Likewise the XCiter is by Thairung on the Nissan chassis

Edit:

THe Volvo C90 is quite a lot dearer, even second hand - there's the C80 which is cheaper.

Not sure what you mean ? the C90 is a Coupe but not sold here, only the C70, they also have the new C30 here also a Coupe..

The 4x4 Volvo here is the old XC 70 and the XC 90 is from 2007 and cost 3.940,000 new today, the new one is the XC 60 just a few months old and cost 3.999,000 new today, so is more expensive, both are imports

Both are 6sp Sports Automatic and Commonrail Turbo Diesel, 5 Cylinder

Edited by ignis

THe izusu and Everest are basically pickups with a station wagon body bolted on the chassis. I also believe that THe Izusu is a modifed model by Thairung not Izusu

THe Pajero and Fortuner are similar but have the luxury of modified rear suspension with coil springs.

My research leads me to believe they also have more sophisticated 4wd systems.

THey're all a bit crappy really, but they are simple and built to last.

THe Escape is a different animal with different construction (in the Philipines) but essentially a "soft-roader"

Correct about isuzu and Everest, including pickup suspension.

The Pajero Sport and Fortuner both have different frames than their pickup donors. Frame is shorter (Fortuner 25cm/10 inches between the axles, and shorter rear end), and designed for rear coilsprings. Front suspension is different from pickup too.

Fortuner 4x4 has full time 4wd, pickup has simpler 4wd on command only possible to use on slippery surface.

Edited by katabeachbum

I've had an Everest for the past 4+ years with 170K+ now on the clock. It's been an extremely reliable vehicle which has only required normal maintenance (replaced, brakes, u-joint, glow-plugs, timing belt). I put aftermarket (adjustable) shocks on a couple years ago and that helped with the ride quality. When I buy again, I'll go for the new Everest.

I saw the new Everest (maybe restyling only) last month in Bali. Very nice 4x4!

Yepp, I saw it in Phuket 2 weeks ago. Good looking, not difficult to see they have nicked some styling from Land Rover/Range Rover after Ford sold this company. :) but unfortunately just a restyling. same old frame, leafsprings, handbrake and high floor.

I drive a diesel Captiva, (which also has tiptronic) I'd say its a town car that doesn't mind getting dirty.

90% of my driving is in town with the occasional rough roads and light off road whilst visiting factories etc. It handles fine but haven't really had cause to push it too far offroad though. (and yes I rarely use the tiptronic)

Would be really interested to know how you find it on rough/unpaved/bumpy roads. I'm thinking more how it copes and withstands than how comfortable a ride it gives.

I also believe that THe Izusu is a modifed model by Thairung not Izusu

Yes and No...

The Mu-7 is in house by Isuzu

The GRAND ADVENTURE is by Thairung

Likewise the XCiter is by Thairung on the Nissan chassis

Edit:

Not sure what you mean ? the C90 is a Coupe but not sold here, only the C70, they also have the new C30 here also a Coupe..

The 4x4 Volvo here is the old XC 70 and the XC 90 is from 2007 and cost 3.940,000 new today, the new one is the XC 60 just a few months old and cost 3.999,000 new today, so is more expensive, both are imports

Both are 6sp Sports Automatic and Commonrail Turbo Diesel, 5 Cylinder

If only a good condition Volvo were available at a price to compete with (new) thai-made SUVs.

Given that I give importance to the newer and specifically designed SUVs - Pajero Sport and Captiva - and they don't offer manual, I've decided to drop the manual requirement. The Everest seems a solid and much recommended vehicle but is apparently another old design. Any big differences between these three?

Few weeks ago there was a 2007 Landrover Freelander 2.2 TDi near me for sale 999,00 baht ??

Ssangyong Actyon TDi 2007 was 1,080 baht ?? sure they are a better ride than a SUV Truck

Edited by ignis

Just bought the FORD Everest, all options possible including DVD player for rear passengers, GPS etc... just under 1.2 Mio. but I got the automatic, I don't want to bother with gears.

Quite happy with it, delivery in gold color out of stock, another color 6 weeks.