Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

george

Ok .......

I'm Brittish. I left England and moved to Thailand because the behavior of my own countrymen, even in our own country was beginning to wear me down.

Comments on this thread are correct...... the only objections will come from the British a**holes we all try so hard to avoid.

Sorry boys, but its true!

Also ..... something I do note here is that the fighting (or hold me back bravado b****hit) that spills onto the streets in the UK post closing time.....doesn't happen here too often.....I wonder why :)

Armed BIB? Just goes to show you can behave ........when you want! You just dont want!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, everybody has to die so why not do something daring like drive an unregistered unroadworthy motorbike in one of the most dangerous driving destinations in the world? You would not consider doing anything like that close to your home, so why would you do that so far from your home? Darwin stated that the strongest will survive, and it is better to think about it before you go to Thailand so you will not make a poor choice.

For years I have been entertained by holiday makers from the UK. They can turn any dull afternoon or evening into a hilarious bust up in a beach bar or even a bar they think is a beach bar in Bangkok. Manhandling the girls without buying them drinks or just slapping them for fun brings out packs of Thai boys with weapons to put the Brits back in their place. However most of the entertainment is derived from the Brits fighting amongst themselves. Just before the fights they sing as loud as they can but the songs are unintelligible. IMHO most are only functioning moderately after blacking out from binge drinking. No end of entertainment.

As for the Americans, there are three times as many but few travel outside the safety net of their own country. Before 9/11 only 7% of more than 300 million people had passports. I fear that if Thailand was a more convenient holiday location we would have the best of the best American "Lager Louts" clashing with the Brits everyday. We are just lucky the flights are expensive and the culture of just to confusing for the average high school dropout from the US.

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

I pretty sure you can't deport EU citizens from an EU country.

I am pretty sure GB does! Wasn't there recently a Dutch politician detained and sent back on arrival?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...to-Britain.html

Edited by Ryo12

I am an American Guy, I have lived in Thailand 5 years, Brittan 6 months, Spain a month and France a month, the British behavior while on holiday is outrageous. I fully understand the Spanish Government arresting them repeatedly, if not in bulk and deporting them, Drunk and fighting every night in the pubs, France too. There were bars in France where I couldn't get a drink until I showed my passport to prove I was not British. Thailand is a little further, we can hope only the somewhat more responsible Britts get that far from home, that they might not still be somewhat special, I have no doubt. Behave yourselves! English speakers around the world suffer the consequences of what U do on Holiday! :)

I pretty sure you can't deport EU citizens from an EU country.

think you are wrong think they can be sent back to uk and have passport took of them as they did in the euro football

Thailand is deadliest holiday destination for Britons

I feel sorry for all the people that die and families Thai’s and Farang 12,000 plus last year mostly motorbike related.

I have been driving in Thailand 4 years now accident free, many close call’s all with bikes. I always had a large motorbike for pleasure riding in England. When I came here to Thailand after looking around for about 6 months I bought and large 4X4 to get as much metal around me as poss.

Most of the accidents are caused by bad riding and alcohol as we see it every hour of the day whilst driving. The best way to stop the accident rate in my opinion is take the immunity from blame away from the motorbike riders.

When in England I would always stop to help if there was an accident, here I have become immune and just drive passed saying stupid git as he / she is lying in the road maybe dying. There are two reason for this I have been warned so many times by Thai’s and farang don’t stop you’ll get roped into it being your fault and the other is I have lost all respect for the motorbike riders in Thailand they seem to stupid to realise that if they get hit by a 2 tonne 4x4 they are going to die. The attitude of the riders is what happens it’s not my fault, if you blow your horn at one they are totally oblivious to it, it means nothing to them no reaction at all. At night at least 50% have no lights, just 20 baht to save a life don’t seem a bad deal to me. Apology to John Peel using this word, The “police” instead of stopping every hundredth biker for no helmet they should start a campaign to stop and give the bikes a bulb and make them fit it there and then, and make them pay for it, If they don’t keep the bike until they do.

I also think that many die because they are not treated quickly, because the car / truck/ bus involved won't stop because he knows it going to be his fault what every happens.

And to the Mr perfect American “Kohn Ferang” I have seen only two problems in Thai in over 4 years and both were Americans one in Hua Hin he was drunk and wanted to fight everyone. The other was in Pattaya where a group of Wanks were abusing some girls who were playing pool by pulling down their skirts and grabbing them and treating them as animals, the girls were hating this so I politely ask the one wank to stop to be told their f*****g bar girls we can do what like to these low lives. We have all got stories to tell. Yes the Brits abroad do get into trouble and here in Thai they die on bikes, but you have to look at it on a percentage basis, eg how many Brit’s in Spain compared to Yanks? Anyway we Brits know where Spain is :)

Cheap motorbike rentals + cheap booze + lax traffic laws = Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

Don't you think it's the appalling behaviour of Brits overseas?

But that's not what the article says.

It says, of all countries, Thailand is one of the most likely where a Brit will get injured or killed.

It might also be the country where an American or German or Aussie or ... will most likely get injured or killed.

It does not say the Brits are the worst, it says Thailand is (one of) the worst.

Why? I live in Pattaya, and you can hardly park here for the rows and rows of massive motorbikes for

rent (not sure why they have the right to carry on a business on the public road, but that's another issue).

Every day I see visitors of every nationality renting these monsters and then racing around.

Why do you need 750-100cc to get around Pattaya ?

My own theory is that these (male) tourists have small brains, and a small other part of the body.

If Thailand wanted to cut down on the problem, just ban the rental of bikes over (say) 125cc to

visitors unless they have a (proper) driving license for a big one

Cheap motorbike rentals + cheap booze + lax traffic laws = Thailand Is Deadliest Holiday Destination For Britons

Don't you think it's the appalling behaviour of Brits overseas?

But that's not what the article says.

It says, of all countries, Thailand is one of the most likely where a Brit will get injured or killed.

It might also be the country where an American or German or Aussie or ... will most likely get injured or killed.

It does not say the Brits are the worst, it says Thailand is (one of) the worst.

Why? I live in Pattaya, and you can hardly park here for the rows and rows of massive motorbikes for

rent (not sure why they have the right to carry on a business on the public road, but that's another issue).

Every day I see visitors of every nationality renting these monsters and then racing around.

Why do you need 750-100cc to get around Pattaya ?

My own theory is that these (male) tourists have small brains, and a small other part of the body.

If Thailand wanted to cut down on the problem, just ban the rental of bikes over (say) 125cc to

visitors unless they have a (proper) driving license for a big one

Isn't it a requisite that one has an international licence to rent here anyway?

This would mean that 99% of these rentals don't even comply with the simplest of Thai laws. Stop the corruption and hey presto, no more bike rentals.

Hate to admit it as a Brit.... but the Britain I left 30 years ago ain't the same place... their actions abroad embarrass me........... bunch of drunken loutish low class trash.... compared to other Europeans they are trash... God it hurts me to say that..... but go to any holiday resort and you can pick the Brits out a mile away....

If the police enforced the law in regards to wearing a crash helmet then possibly the average number of people killed each year would drop from the 13,870 that it averages each year and along with teaching kids + adults how to drive and actually to think ahead further than the vehicle in front and explain what anticipation actually means and the benefit to all of using it, I suspect the majority of m/cycle accidents involve a car/truck/lorry.

The police are the main cause of the majority of motorcycle deaths. I live in the Pattaya area and where the street I live on begins, there is a school. EVery day in mid afternoon school is out and the kids leave for home on their motorbikes. Hardly any of the kids are wearing helmets. Many of the bikes have three and even four children riding them. While school is letting out there is often a policeman on the main road directing traffic turning a blind eye to all the school kids turning onto this road helmet less and oftentimes riding three and four to a motorbike. The exact same spot where this policeman is directing traffic while school is letting out at other times of the day on days they choose at random groups of policemen set up a roadblock where they flag down all adults, both Thai and Westerners, who are driving without helmets. In fact they will often flag motorcycle drivers down for no reason other than to check to see if all papers are in order---ie. the bike is registered, the driver is carrying a driver's license, the bike is insured.

Many Thai drivers respect the law, obeying all traffic laws scrupulously. But huge numbers are driving down the street the wrong way, running traffic lights, using sidewalks to drive on, driving too fast and recklessly, cutting in front of other drivers, gunning down pedestrians. The police are not doing their job. They do not enforce the law. If they did and every driver disobeying the law had to pay say 1000 baht per infraction, the bad drivers would swiftly clean up their act. As it is there are no consequences for their deplorable driving habits. As if this is not bad enough, the police are teaching the school children, go ahead and do what you like. The law is not to be obeyed. Just make sure you pay us off later on if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I think a couple of things need to be looked at before condemning either Thailand or the British.

The highest death rate (accident rate) etc. is with young, single males. Don't remember the ages where it spikes, but the 18-29 year olds seems about right. This is fairly accurate world wide and has to do with some characteristics of young males.

Thailand, for a variety of reasons, attracts young, single males--which is the group most likely to get into trouble.

My guess would be that British Tourists headed to Spain, the US and a few others, are largely made up of families (at least percentage wise). Young females are usually less adventurous and more likely to stay away from Asia and Thailand.

So, lets be careful about trashing the Brits or the country, without taking a look and who is coming and why.

Perhaps a few of our mathematical/statistical folks could break some of this down better than I can.

It also doesn't help that many tourists seem to think the ideal place to learn to ride a bike is an island in Thailand.

Oh I hear you big time....

I am thinking of making a T shirt with the 3 lane ring road,

that shows the typical 7 lanes of traffic on it.

1+2, Left lane Bikes returning/turning and forward,

and alternate left car lane to allow center passing.

3, Car forward,

4, bi directional center passing lane for biggest, or most insistent or drunk

5, Car returning

6+7, Right lane Bikes returning/turning and forward,

and alternate right car lane to allow center passing.

Typical Brit response; well they drive on the left, must be just like home...

NOT!!! Don't be a prat!

Add caption:

Either;

Drive Like a Thai

or

Die Like a Soidog.

The visiters try to drive like at home, while learning bikes too...

but lacking the skills, do it way too slowly and are often deadly traffic hazards.

When 5 tourists just stop bikes in mid lane, blocking a small, by highly traveled road

to a tourist attraction, likew my road to home....

rather than off to the side 20 feet up, it makes me want to scream MOVE you stupid cows.

You would NOT do this at home, why do this here in front of ME!!! Fek, Fek, Fek, Sod off!

Plus, they lacking the basic understanding of Thai driving styles.... they expect logic,

and expect courtesy's like at home. They expect people NOT to pull out,

no clue on the general Asian merging methods, let alone the Thai variation.

No one tells them and they don't observe.

Mix in alcohol... yegawds, it's baleedin mess.

On driving, most newbies are a hazard,

but it is mostly certain UK social strata that are the drinking and attitude problem vis a vis Brits.

I have several brit friends who, while happy to hoist a glass, are also nice people at closing time too.

Edited by animatic

Now I been living and working on Koh Tao for quiet a while now, and the Poms, always seem to be acting like they where on a different planet, not like they would at home - at all.

They don't even have to be drunk, some still drive like there is no tomorrow, not watching out for what else is happening on the road, also being very egoistic when driving.

So maybe just a bit of using the brain, instead of leaving it back home when on holiday would help. That I think is the mayor issue and that is not just for the Brits but fore a lot of nationalities. I know that for a fact, as I've been working in the holiday sector, servicing people on holiday for the last 16 years.

Kohn Ferang

The topic is a study of British people and the comparisons were of british subjects in different countries. It in no way compared us against other nationalities. Had the US done a simular study it too may show similar results. Only you have taken it to believe Brits are more misgavous than other nationalities. I come across many loud mouthed americans on my travels, some under the influence, some down-right rude, but one common trait I see is their behaviour towards the Thai ladies, the American is usually obiese, and insists on throwing his money around in order to get the youngest prettiest girl to go home with. Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.

On another note, is it posible that the majority writing on this particular thread are against boozing, and consider it the route of all evil. (we all have our skelletons in the closset - you all write like you are whiter-than-white and your $hlt don't stink) I drink in moderation and have never as much as fallen over or spewed, don't tar everyone with the same brush, better still don't sit there judging people full-stop, the chances are you don't go out and drink for one of the following:

1. 'er-in-dors won't let you (she has all your money tied up and she's got you by the dangglies).

2. You spent all your money on a material lifestyle, where you must have the biggest house (although there's only the 2 of you), and that big gas guzzler. Now you struggle to keep up the facade.

3. You go out and end up blowing a fortune 'cos you're in your second childhood and just can't keep your hands out the candy jar. Hanging onto every belief that you are sexy, and they love you so much, when common sense should tell you that if your thowing money at it then love has nothing to do with it.

This heated insert is only intended for ritchious few, if the cap don't fit you then you ain't got to wear it.

in spain and now Thailand I am ashamed to be British. The worst type seem to come to both places. Many open bars(brothels) here and employ bar girls(prostitutes) and live off their bar fines (pimping fees) Luckily I went to NZ for a couple of years and got NZ nationality, now if anyone asks me, I tell them I'm a Kiwi

I'm from England and I'm not some beer drinking football hooligan. I like a drink at the weekend but I don't cause trouble.

Why is it okay to stereotype the British in this way? How about if we stereotyped the Chinese, Nigerians etc?

As a Brit Im sad to say I have to agree with the majority of posts, it is usually the younger element of society that behave this way, and believe me they act exactly the same way back in England, this isn't only a holiday thing they are capable of ruining a good night out wherever they are.

As for driving without helmets, the brits are not alone, I live in Udon and there are many farang who drive around breaking the law, for myself I wear a helmet because it just might save my life, I enjoy a drink but drink very little when on the motorbike, accom is cheap enough to have a stopover when you fancy those extra few beers, its just called being sensible but alas as we all know many of those who come to these shores leave their brain elsewhere.

I want people to calm down on the Brit bashing please. The UK makes up one of the largest groups of visitors to Thailand and the sheer number of them in the country can give a skewed impression of the facts.

I'm not saying you can't point out problems that exist or issues you have with British tourists and expats, but if you can do it while still remaining polite and mature about it, it speaks well of both your intelligence, and the quality of debate here.

Too often we have to delete posts that made good points because the poster went overboard on foul language or went too far and turned a fair comment into inflammatory insults. Don't make this mistake. We want a free exchange of ideas, but there's limits on how we can allow them to be expressed.

Thank you.

:)

Unfortunately there is a percentage of the population, ( I hope its small ) that go on holiday and act as you say : "outrageous"ly . These will be the same people that spend their weekends in the UK binge drinking in pubs and clubs , getting completely annihilated and getting into fights etc . Unfortunately this percentage of the population are the young that dont understand or channel their dissatisfaction of the tedium of life that the average youngster in the uk experiences.

Im guessing also that the place you mentioned above were areas that are hot spots for these people as they travel in large groups for a sense of security and just recreate their weekends somewhere else for a longer period of time.

Its a sad representation of the British society today.

There is however a high regard for the British traveller everywhere else (apart from these select areas that cater for the above mentioned) its unfortunate though that the media exposure only follows the bad news.

Re; M/c accidents on Samui.

Fortunately for me, a local pointed out the accident black spots some years ago.

Wherever a minor dirt rd. joins the main concrete ribbon, sand is drawn onto the concrete.

This turns the concrete into a skating rink..... most m/cs come to grief at these spots.

Be warned. :)

Number 2 is ANY corner that a truck of ice and fish went by 5 minutes earlier.

The fish oil mixes with cold water and leaks out of the coolers, as bad or worse than the sand.

And pretty invisible too. It is an island and sand is EVERYWHERE,

just takes the wind sometimes to blow enough on the road to make it slippery.

It also doesn't help that many tourists seem to think the ideal place to learn to ride a bike is an island in Thailand.

Oh I hear you big time....

I am thinking of making a T shirt with the 3 lane ring road,

that shows the typical 7 lanes of traffic on it.

1+2, Left lane Bikes returning/turning and forward,

and alternate left car lane to allow center passing.

3, Car forward,

4, bi directional center passing lane for biggest, or most insistent or drunk

5, Car returning

6+7, Right lane Bikes returning/turning and forward,

and alternate right car lane to allow center passing.

Typical Brit response; well they drive on the left, must be just like home...

NOT!!! Don't be a prat!

Add caption:

Either;

Drive Like a Thai

or

Die Like a Soidog.

The visiters try to drive like at home, while learning bikes too...

but lacking the skills, do it way too slowly and are often deadly traffic hazards.

When 5 tourists just stop bikes in mid lane, blocking a small, by highly traveled road

to a tourist attraction, likew my road to home....

rather than off to the side 20 feet up, it makes me want to scream MOVE you stupid cows.

You would NOT do this at home, why do this here in front of ME!!! Fek, Fek, Fek, Sod off!

Plus, they lacking the basic understanding of Thai driving styles.... they expect logic,

and expect courtesy's like at home. They expect people NOT to pull out,

no clue on the general Asian merging methods, let alone the Thai variation.

No one tells them and they don't observe.

Mix in alcohol... yegawds, it's baleedin mess.

On driving, most newbies are a hazard,

but it is mostly certain UK social strata that are the drinking and attitude problem vis a vis Brits.

I have several brit friends who, while happy to hoist a glass, are also nice people at closing time too.

I have been riding bikes for over 40 years and I totally concur with everything here. I would like to add that when Farang come here most are under the impression that if we have the right of way, others will yield. Their is no right of way here, and just because the light is red doesn't mean peoplpe will stop. I'm glad that I had almost a year of observing Thai driving before I bought a motorcycle and ventured onto the roads.

:)

FYI > for your info:

Drug offences account for fifth of all British arrests abroad

By > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-...sts-abroad.html

Drug offences now account for a fifth of all arrests of Britons abroad and a quarter in Thailand, Foreign Office figures show today.

The latest figures on incidents among Britons abroad show that drink and drugs were a major factor in the number of Britons being arrested abroad or needing hospital treatment from last year.

The statistics illustrate how some British tourists spiral into criminal activity and unacceptable behaviour when they are abroad, risking their security and the reputation of Britons in many holiday resorts.

Tourists arrested

Brush with the law: Drugs and drink account for many arrests and hospitalisations of Britons abroad

Although Britons make more than 68 million trips abroad annually many risk sizeable fines and even jail by failing to read up on customs and laws in their destination country.

As a result, some 1.8 million tourists have been victims of misunderstanding local laws, according to a survey by LateRooms.com.

Relating to the period April 2008 to March 2009, the Foreign Office figures showed that more Britons were arrested or taken to hospital in Spain than any other country.

Britain's favourite sunshine destination arrested 2,290 Britons and a total of 741 were taken to hospital.

But as a proportion of the number of visitors, Britons were most likely to be arrested in the United Arab Emirates and most likely to need hospital treatment in Thailand.

A worrying 28 rapes and 154 sexual assaults were reported in Greece, which also came second as the country where Britons were most likely to be hospitalised.

There were also 5,629 reported deaths of UK citizens abroad worldwide including natural causes, accident deaths and murders.

Foreign Office Minister Chris Bryant said: ' Helping those who do get into trouble is a vital part of our job, but so many of the problems we deal with can be avoided with a little bit of preparation.

'Researching the local laws and customs before you travel could avoid time in a foreign jail. Getting comprehensive travel insurance means that while an accident may disrupt your holiday, it won't bankrupt you in extortionate medical or repatriation bills.

'The message is clear - have a great time while you're away, but make the necessary preparations before you go.'

But holidaymakers need not be unduly worried. Of the 1.2 million consular inquiries worldwide last year, lost or stolen passports were by far the most frequent with 29,774 reported incidents. An inconvenience definitely, but not too serious in the grand scheme of things.

I'm a Brit living in Thailand and I have to say I agree with the comments above. Too many Brits come here and use the country like a playground wherer anything goes.

I have been coming to Thailand for many years and have recently noticed some Thais becoming a little tired of farangs in their country. I don't blame them, I'm tired of some farangs being here and I'm a farang!!

Like you I am ashamed, sometimes, of the behaviour of "tourists" and from time to time "expats".

Of any nationality.

I have seen Dutchmen, Germans, Swedes, and various other nationalities gone off their rocker abroad.

The various nationalities incluse British people.

I how far the Spanish police are really inclined to pick on British people having a go in Spain, yes, very many times.

But.........very many times they were doing so, maybe not unfounded, but most certainly becasue they were British.

Why?

Who knows.

Your idea about some Thais getting tired of farang, yes, maybe true.

Again, the why might be coming from some other corner as our behaviour.

Why?

Who knows.

By the way, for those who are looking for a diversion to the anti-British stuff, the Canadians had a bad year last year. Quite a few of them got knocked off, as I recall.

The least thing I'd expect from a MOD is to reference a statement like that...

BTW: I am not Canadian

timesonline.co.uk is not exactly up to date. All the numbers they quote come from a report posted by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office more than a year ago, on 11 August 2008 ( http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/latest-n...&id=5226726 ).

Secondly, the numbers they quote for deaths per visiting tourist are not that. They are for total deaths divided by the number of tourists, disregarding the number of resident Britons (41,000). Considering the number of British retirees in Thailand, maybe the number isn't that surprising?

Thirdly, if one decides to look at the total number of assistance cases per visiting tourist, e.g. India and Indonesia come out far worse than Thailand (with far fewer residents).

I don't know, and it can't be calculated from the figures, but I would venture to guess that a large proportion of the number of deaths in Thailand can be attributed to:

A/ Deaths from old age and or illness

B/ Traffic accidents. Thailand's traffic is dangerous, all the more so if you're drunk and on a motorcycle.

BTW I'm not British :)

/ Priceless

As a Brit, and one who lives here, I stay well away from vacationing Brits. One problem is the underlying repressiveness of much of British culture, at home. Like many Muslim males who come away from their homelands, many single male Brits (and that's who we're essentially referring to here) tend to go a little crazy when left alone in 'the candy store'. If I have to go into 'the city' I tend to emphasise my Irish half (No! Not the Guinness-swilling one :) , the bit my father gave me). And of course it's not just in Thailand that Brits open their mouths too wide. I've travelled a lot in my 57 years. And I've seen it in almost every country I've visited. Loud mouthed, drunken, oppressive and often threatening behaviour from young male Brits. I've come, at least in my own mind, to regard myself as a citizen of the planet rather than simply British. The pain is a lot less that way.

:D

DIG