Uob Now Charging 150 Fee

I haven't used an ATM in a month, until today when I went to UOB and discovered that they are now also charging this outrages 150 fee. So my quesiton is;any other banks left who doesn't charge this fee? If not what bank should I use that give the best exchange rate.

Edited by Nowhereman60

I haven't used an ATM in a month, until today when I went to UOB and discovered that they are now also charging this outrages 150 fee. So my quesiton is;any other banks left who doesn't charge this fee? If not what bank should I use that give the best exchange rate.

Did you see that charge before the withdrawal in the process in the ATM machine, or after in the receipt? Can anyone confirm it?

Did you see that charge before the withdrawal in the process in the ATM machine, or after in the receipt? Can anyone confirm it?

My bank is Kbank and when I withdraw from my UK account the ATM tells me that I will be charged an extra 150 and do I want to proceed.

Answer yes and I get the amount I ask for, usually 10k baht plus another 150 baht charge for using the ATM and therefore my UK account is debited by 10,150 baht.

Answer no and the ATM cancels the transaction, returns my card and charges me nothing.

The problem with looking for a bank that doesn't charge the 150 baht is that it costs time and money to do so.

At the end of the day I pay the 150 baht and get on with my life.

Much less stress that way and if 150 baht is really going to affect my life that much I would not be able to live in Thailand as I would be counting every baht and satang and worrying if I can afford to eat that day.

I seen it before the wihdrawal/while in process and I cancelled the transaction.

Much less stress that way and if 150 baht is really going to affect my life that much I would not be able to live in Thailand as I would be counting every baht and satang and worrying if I can afford to eat that day.

For some in Thailand 150 baht is eating for 3 days !!!! for others its 3 large bottles of beer.

The problem with looking for a bank that doesn't charge the 150 baht is that it costs time and money to do so.

That seems pretty wasteful to me. I just remember where the Aeon (and up until now) UOB ATMs are and remember to get money when i am at those locations.

Maybe if you live way out in the sticks it could be a problem, but in Bangkok it's not that difficult to find a Aeon ATM.

And also depends on how frequently you use the ATM.

I probably take money 10 times per month...that's already 1500baht in ATM fees...which is more than my phone bill and only a little less than my electric bill...and for what..? Nothing.

Aeon for sure I use them regularly when I shop at Big C or Tesco.

150 baht is not much but if you withdraw 5-8 times a month 12 months a year then it adds up those 10K baht I can easily use for something else.

UOB was good...:-( It gave me the maximum amount in ATM withdrawal from all the Thai banks-30K

That seems pretty wasteful to me. I just remember where the Aeon (and up until now) UOB ATMs are and remember to get money when i am at those locations.

Maybe if you live way out in the sticks it could be a problem, but in Bangkok it's not that difficult to find a Aeon ATM.

And also depends on how frequently you use the ATM.

I probably take money 10 times per month...that's already 1500baht in ATM fees...which is more than my phone bill and only a little less than my electric bill...and for what..? Nothing.

You are correct but not everybody lives in Bangkok.

I take money out about 4 times a month and the nearest ATM to me is about 6km and the next is 17km away. To get a large choice of ATMs most of which charge the 150 baht anyway I could drive 65km to Khampaeng Phet or 125 km the other way to Nakhon Sawan.

I can think of at least 15 people living in this area who have little choice as to where they can find an ATM.

As you said in Bangkok and the big cities there are more banks but the number that don't charge are getting less every month.

Edited by billd766

Although I haven't needed to do this yet, I have read on TV, you can walk in to some banks with your passport and ATM card and make a cash withdrawal without paying any fee.

Wrong you will be charged most likely 3% of the amount withdrawn in USA be there done that.

Although I haven't needed to do this yet, I have read on TV, you can walk in to some banks with your passport and ATM card and make a cash withdrawal without paying any fee.

Wrong you will be charged most likely 3% of the amount withdrawn in USA be there done that.

I have to disagree with you robbie22. My wife did at least 4 of these transactions last month using her passport and ATM card at an SCB branch and she got the same exchange rate as she did when using an ATM machine (such as at UOB). If fact, she didn't even get charged the standard $1 Cirrus fee, so she avoided two fees using this method. What bank did you do this transaction? Did you use a debit card and not a credit card?