Extension Based On Retirement Or Marriage, Which Is Better?

Today I applied for my 3rd one-year extension based on being married to a Thai. After initially reviewing my paperwork, the Immigration Officer asked me why I didn't apply for an extension based on retirement, since I have more than enough monthly income to qualify. He mentioned that I could have the extension stamped in my passport immediately and wouldn't have to return again in 30 days, as I would have to do with the extension based on being married to a Thai. His suggestion was enticing to me, but I decided to continue with the application based on marriage, not retirement. I just didn't want to make a quick decision without giving it some thought. While driving home from the Immigration Office, I tried to think of a reason why a marriage-based extension is better than a retirement-based extension, but couldn't. So now I'm puzzled.

My question for the experts on this forum is this ... if I'm fully qualified for an extension based on either marriage or retirement, is there any benefit to an extension based on marriage over one based on retirement? I mentioned to the Immigration Officer that I may want to work here in the future and, as I understand it, I would never be able to work here if I was living here with a retirement-based extension. To this the Immigration Officer said that I would not have a problem in the future if I wanted to work. I would have to do the same with either type of extension, there would be no benefit of one over the other, and I would still need to get a work permit. Is the Immigration Officer correct or am I missing something. While I'm proud to be married to a Thai, if I can save some time, effort and gas by not having to visit the Immigration Office twice every year, a retirement-based extension seems better, since I can meet the income requirement anyway. But I don't want to give up any benefits from the marriage-based extension (if there are any) just to save a trip to the Immigration Office. Any advice is much appreciated.

The only advantage is the lower financial requirement; and as UbonJoe advises if grandfathered it would be best to be at the lower rate (if requirements increase in future). That seems a valid reason if not well above the minimums as even exchange rates have put a number of UK people at a disadvantage recently. I did change a few years ago to retirement as wife has mobility problems and should not have an issue meeting retirement requirements (especially if they continue to offer combined income/savings) - as a shortfall in income could be made up by bank account. And hopefully retirement would also be grandfathered; as it has been in the past.

You cannot get a work permit with a retirement extension. That is the prime reason I don't have a retirement extension. To keep them from pushing me to get a retirement extension I don't show the money for retirement.

If you wanted to apply for permanent residency it would be difficult if not impossible to apply if on a retirement extension of stay.

Anther factor is if they were to raise the financial requirement for an extension I am grandfathered for the marriage extension requirements.

You could change from retirement to marriage but probably would have to wait until your extension was due. I don't think immigration would be willing to to do a change otherwise.

To do a change to employment you would have to have the work permit already and meet all the requirements for that extension which would be impossible if you have a retirement extension since you would not be able to get the work permit.

You might have to leave and get a non-o someplace and start all over again to do either change.

Edited by ubonjoe

I asked about the retirement extension/working issue yesterday in talking with my rep at Sunbelt Asia...

They were the ones reported to have gotten a client in BKK on a retirement extension a work permit in the past. My Sunbelt guy told me yesterday he didn't think they could manage that in BKK any more.

His advice was the same... if I wanted to work in the future, just change to marriage based extension or do one with company support.

As to the Thai immigration officer telling the OP that working on a retirement extension would not be a problem, I'd take that with a grain of salt. After all, it's not Immigration that issues work permits... It's the Labor folks... totally a different part of Thai government.

I mentioned to the Immigration Officer that I may want to work here in the future and, as I understand it, I would never be able to work here if I was living here with a retirement-based extension. To this the Immigration Officer said that I would not have a problem in the future if I wanted to work. I would have to do the same with either type of extension, there would be no benefit of one over the other, and I would still need to get a work permit.

As already said, this information is just not correct. You cannot work on a retirement visa/extension of stay.

if a person has an extension based on marriage rather than retirement what is his status if his wife dies suddenly? I know that the non-immigrant visa based on marriage would no longer be valid but what about the extension of stay?

The visa would still be valid. A visa does not end if the basis for it's issue goes away. There is nothing written on a visa stamp that states the reason for its issue.

Technically the reason for the extension would end upon the spouses death (or divorce even) the person would need to change the reason for the extension. But there would be no notification to immigration so a person would be safe until the extension is runs out.

Edited by ubonjoe

if a person has an extension based on marriage rather than retirement what is his status if his wife dies suddenly? I know that the non-immigrant visa based on marriage would no longer be valid but what about the extension of stay?

If you will forgive the pun, the extension of stay dies too. But who would know. So just change extension status at renewal.

Today I applied for my 3rd one-year extension based on being married to a Thai. After initially reviewing my paperwork, the Immigration Officer asked me why I didn't apply for an extension based on retirement, since I have more than enough monthly income to qualify. He mentioned that I could have the extension stamped in my passport immediately and wouldn't have to return again in 30 days, as I would have to do with the extension based on being married to a Thai. His suggestion was enticing to me, but I decided to continue with the application based on marriage, not retirement. I just didn't want to make a quick decision without giving it some thought. While driving home from the Immigration Office, I tried to think of a reason why a marriage-based extension is better than a retirement-based extension, but couldn't. So now I'm puzzled.

My question for the experts on this forum is this ... if I'm fully qualified for an extension based on either marriage or retirement, is there any benefit to an extension based on marriage over one based on retirement? I mentioned to the Immigration Officer that I may want to work here in the future and, as I understand it, I would never be able to work here if I was living here with a retirement-based extension. To this the Immigration Officer said that I would not have a problem in the future if I wanted to work. I would have to do the same with either type of extension, there would be no benefit of one over the other, and I would still need to get a work permit. Is the Immigration Officer correct or am I missing something. While I'm proud to be married to a Thai, if I can save some time, effort and gas by not having to visit the Immigration Office twice every year, a retirement-based extension seems better, since I can meet the income requirement anyway. But I don't want to give up any benefits from the marriage-based extension (if there are any) just to save a trip to the Immigration Office. Any advice is much appreciated.

In my experience the marriage visa was a pain with all the paperwork and long interviews..One hour on my own and my wife also..Trip to the police station to be checked out..All normal and that was the first year (8 years ago) The extension for reason of spending the remainder of my life here(their words not mone) was a breeze.Seemed I was treated as someone who had money and was given respect.The visa was given within 30 mins. It semed to mwe as a mond set by the immergration that people applying fpor a marriage visa had something to hide...I gave up the marriage visa 6 years ago and went across the border to Burma for the last 6 years.Enjoyed my trips as well..Got my retirement stamp in Jan. this year and as I said it was easy.Also it gives you independance as you can be single and if the worst came to it devorce you can still stay on your own merrits...other peoples experinces may be different to mine but I nearly said I did not want their f-----g visa after the immergaration gave me such a hard time. glad I did'nt..All the best dave

If you have the necessary financial requirements then Retirement extension is simpler,

for you and the immigration officer.

It also avoids future problems if your wife should pre-decease you.

Just watch the financial requirements. You may meet them today, but varying

exchange rates could change that?

Apart from a Grandfathering clause back in the early 90's for those retired on 200K

I am not aware of anything since then.