Uk Dwp. Confirm From 19th Oct Can Pay Pension Directly To Thai Bank

Following my thread about third party accounts, I have just been informed by telephone from the UK's Dept For Work and Pensions that from 19th Oct 2009 they will be able to pay state pension directly into a Thai bank. (NOT by sending cheque) Anyone wishing to use this service must contact them in writing or by telephone to change their payment details. I'm only quoting from telephone conversation - don't hold me to it!

if thats right its going to be a big bonus to a lot of brits

No bonus, once they know you are in Thailand there are no more annual inflation increases, and the 90 Quid will be looking very sad in just 10 years without any inflation adjusting.

I still maintain that it is better to have it paid into a UK account to preserve some "flexibility" about your residency.

if thats right its going to be a big bonus to a lot of brits

No bonus, once they know you are in Thailand there are no more annual inflation increases, and the 90 Quid will be looking very sad in just 10 years without any inflation adjusting.

I still maintain that it is better to have it paid into a UK account to preserve some "flexibility" about your residency.

If you still maintain UK residency, yes. But I'm officially non-resident. 90 quid? I think you're referring to the basic amount. If you've paid contributions over the years and built up extras that applied years ago, it's a good deal more than 90 quid!

Hi Jezz

Good to see its all working out did they mention how they applied the exchange rate, I know from one poster on a civil service pension who gets paid direct here the rate is virtually the same as on shore, so heres hoping, let us know.

Once THIS gets up and running all flexibility goes out of the window, though (if it hasnt already):

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/ne...icle5683677.ece

Yep, the cyberjail is being built up around us.

But with this system they can only say whether or not you are in the UK. They cannot, without linking to other countries' systems, determine where you are resident at any point in time. It will no doubt come along at some point in the "Brave New World" future that out kids will live in. The technology is already available, it just requires all the regulatory bodies to agree and free the information in some standard electronic format.

If you still maintain UK residency, yes. But I'm officially non-resident. 90 quid? I think you're referring to the basic amount. If you've paid contributions over the years and built up extras that applied years ago, it's a good deal more than 90 quid!

You can have the money paid into a UK account even if you are not resident there and probably save some fees.

Yes, the 90 Quid is all I am entitled to, having paid up the 30 years' voluntary expat NI contributions. But if you are getting more, then you also stand to lose a lot more by not receiving the inflation increases that somebody, for example, resident in the Philippines receives.

Discussed here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Uk-State-Pen...ts-t234883.html

If it really can be paid directly into a Thai bank account, one has to hope it is sent in £ sterling and not converted into baht before being sent.

Having read some of the above posts it appears that despite living in Thailand some people are not advising the pension people that they have left the UK and are therefore receiving annual increases. The pension claim form goes into much detail as to where claimants live and for what periods they have been outside the UK. There is also a requirement to advise when things change.

Whilst I am totally against the freezing of pensions, I am sure it is only a matter of time before they find out where you live and then you will be in very severe trouble. It won't just be a matter of paying back the excess pensions you have received, but could mean instant arrest and even imprisonment if you should ever set foot in the UK again.

For the measly increases expected over the coming years, with very low or even negative inflation, it just isn't worth it. Simply put you are committing FRAUD, and in the UK that is puished severely!

Yes, the 90 Quid is all I am entitled to, having paid up the 30 years' voluntary expat NI contributions. But if you are getting more, then you also stand to lose a lot more by not receiving the inflation increases that somebody, for example, resident in the Philippines receives.

Discussed here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Uk-State-Pen...ts-t234883.html

Well, my forecast for working the maximum number of years was ninety SIX quid Thats not taking into consideration any inflation rises for the next few years til my retirement, if applicable, of course.

Hardly the "a good deal more" another poster alluded to :)

Yep, the cyberjail is being built up around us.

But with this system they can only say whether or not you are in the UK. They cannot, without linking to other countries' systems, determine where you are resident at any point in time. It will no doubt come along at some point in the "Brave New World" future that out kids will live in. The technology is already available, it just requires all the regulatory bodies to agree and free the information in some standard electronic format.

Ah, but dont forget ... now when you purchase a ticket its linked to your passport, whose number any e-ticketing system will ask for before its issuing.

THEN they DO know where you are !!!

More and more loopholes are closing, or turning into nooses that the unwary, or those too trusting will put their necks into

Penkoprod

If it really can be paid directly into a Thai bank account, one has to hope it is sent in £ sterling and not converted into baht before being sent.

Having read some of the above posts it appears that despite living in Thailand some people are not advising the pension people that they have left the UK and are therefore receiving annual increases. The pension claim form goes into much detail as to where claimants live and for what periods they have been outside the UK. There is also a requirement to advise when things change.

Whilst I am totally against the freezing of pensions, I am sure it is only a matter of time before they find out where you live and then you will be in very severe trouble. It won't just be a matter of paying back the excess pensions you have received, but could mean instant arrest and even imprisonment if you should ever set foot in the UK again.

For the measly increases expected over the coming years, with very low or even negative inflation, it just isn't worth it. Simply put you are committing FRAUD, and in the UK that is puished severely!

Spot on! My sentiments entirely. Sleeping easily comes before a potential few extra bob!

Spot on! My sentiments entirely. Sleeping easily comes before a potential few extra bob!

This 90 odd quid keeps popping up. I assure you, it's a lot higher - I'm already receiving it and actually living on it! Remember the days of SERPS. (State Earnings Related Pension) Then, if your earned income was substantial, your final pension entitlement is jacked up considerably - well into three figures a week - but I'm going into specifics.

I suppose my posts have been the catalyst here. I am still a decade off UK pension age so I am not claiming.

But the point I would like to address is the low or negative inflation. This will never happen in stuff we NEED to buy, and the UK and US governments are doing their utmost to ensure deflation in real estate, both commercial and residential will not occur, as it would lead to even more bank failures and bailouts. Labour took housing out of the CPI as Brown could see that it would mean inflation related wage increases would be affected.

But Brown's actions are killing the GBP, as you have surely felt. This has resulted in a double figure inflation rate for any Brit living abroad based on GBP income or capital. And then add in the inflation YOU are experiencing in Thailand, which I reckon to be over 7% in the last year.

But anyway, FRAUD is not punished severely in the UK. All you have to do is say sorry and hand back a part of the sum. Just look at all those FRAUDS in the government, of ALL parties, claiming expenses. :):D :D :D :D

If they caught me (and I'm not yet in that position) I would claim senility and an honest error in completing the complicated forms. "Sorry guv, I didn't understand, can you explain it again?" :D :D :D

But anyway, FRAUD is not punished severely in the UK. All you have to do is say sorry and hand back a part of the sum. Just look at all those FRAUDS in the government, of ALL parties, claiming expenses. :):D:D:D:D

In the immortal words of Bob Dylan.....the times they are a'changing

Have you not read about all the benefit fraudsters getting jail sentences of late?

And they will literally HOUND you for any monies owed. Happened to my BIL when he informed the DWP he had a company pension that was then used to reduce his IB benefit. He told them when he found out (some 3 months after he took the retirement on health grounds) and they made a FURTHER reduction to grab back every single penny he owed them

Penkoprod

I can assure everyone that it is not sufficient to just say sorry and pay back a token amount, You will be forced to pay it all back, even if it was an accidental error. If it was FRAUD, then there will be a severe penalty.

Slightly off-topic I was awarded Child tax Credits for 6 months (they knew I lived in Thailand) Eventually they decided I was not entitled and must pay everything back, Appeals to the Adjudicator and the Ombudsman got me nowhere. So now they are charging me £70 a month for the next umpteen years to recoup all their money.

Re the talk of £90 a week. Yes the single persons pension is somewhere in that area and as others have said it is usually more due to GRP, SERPS and other benefits. But do those of you already in receipt of pension know that you are entitled to claim a Dependants allowance of £57 a week (basically for wives and not for children) Its a benefit which is being phased out from next April, but those already in receipt will continue to receive it (frozen of course!) until 5th April 2020.

I can assure everyone that it is not sufficient to just say sorry and pay back a token amount, You will be forced to pay it all back, even if it was an accidental error. If it was FRAUD, then there will be a severe penalty.

Slightly off-topic I was awarded Child tax Credits for 6 months (they knew I lived in Thailand) Eventually they decided I was not entitled and must pay everything back, Appeals to the Adjudicator and the Ombudsman got me nowhere. So now they are charging me £70 a month for the next umpteen years to recoup all their money.

Re the talk of £90 a week. Yes the single persons pension is somewhere in that area and as others have said it is usually more due to GRP, SERPS and other benefits. But do those of you already in receipt of pension know that you are entitled to claim a Dependants allowance of £57 a week (basically for wives and not for children) Its a benefit which is being phased out from next April, but those already in receipt will continue to receive it (frozen of course!) until 5th April 2020.

You speak a lot of sense, Nick especially as you are yourself evidence of how the UK claims back funds paid out.

I find it suprising some people think that FRAUD is easy to get away with in the UK when punishments seem to me

unjustly harsh when compared to that of Murders/Rapists & Child Molesters.

The other thought, I'd like to add is to remind people that UK Border Agencies computers are now linked to that of the Tax Dept, HM Customs & Excise

Sorry, bit off-topic but just my observations from previous posts.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude