Thaksin Supporter " Da Torpedo " Convicted Of Lese Majeste

vail07

considering the sensitive nature of the topic

perhaps the topic shouldn't even be in the forum

not much will come out of it

??? is there a forum where "much" does come out of it?

Even the bar level advice is dodgy at best :)

Might be an interesting exercise to think about why we futilely vent anonymously to strangers on this forum.

It is an interesting study of our psychology, needs, wants and failings.

In fact i believe the topic would make for a very interesting forum in itself.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please tread carefully when posting on subjects that involve the Monarchy. Making posts which comment politically in any way on The Royal Family is forbidden by both the forum rules and the laws of Thailand. You will be held accountable for whatever content you link to, and this is one subject where we don't give the benefit of the doubt.

In this case, I suggest you do not begin such a thread or your end it immediately.

I do not see how to comment without...

Many people do, it just takes good judgement. Sometimes that good judgement is expressed in remaining silent.

I understand what you do mean but this is not serious.

It would mean a forum with no post or a forum where only one opinion can be expressed. Not a farang / western attitude for a farang site.

Let's think about this important issue with caution + on a regular basis because the situation will evolve during the next years.

I have no idea what she said, and no way of finding out. But the important thing is that she must have said something bad. So I think 18 years is too lenient and they need much harsher penalties.

She based her speech on the fate of Nepalese royal family and went from there. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Sondhi was charged with LM simply for relaying what she said, these things are not repeated in public in Thailand.

Not only the Nepalese, she spoke about France with some pretty ugly details. Sondhi hold the VCD in his hand, I think that was enough (don't know if he told about what she spoke).

Just off topic:

I just for my own person, I would not like if someone speaks about hacking off my head in front of a cheering crowed......

Thanks for filling out the details, it was the Nepalese example that somehow stuck in my memory. Maybe because French history is totally lost on Thai public but Nepal was all over the news just a few years ago.

Anyway, I think we should stop here, I don't want to speak in code for what she said. I caught it here, I think, before it was removed by mods.

It was bad.

It was illegal.

There are a myriad of things one can say that are "bad" that wouldn't land a lese majeste charge.

The dark Middle Ages in a country, which would like to be in the 21st century.

We all know that LM crimes are used to silence political opponents and the punishment is in no relationship to the "crime", especially in view what you get e.g. for slamming your Benz into the crowd and KILL people.

Shame, shame, shame!!

Yes , i agree with what you are saying. However it might be a good law if it is properly used.

But NO! as i see it the ruling party frivolously use and manipulate it to maintain their power over any opposition members they wish. I ask you, how many members of the ruling government have been charged with this offense ?

Not many i bet.

One day maybe all those who have used this law for their own political benifit will have to "pay the piper".....enough said !

It is interesting to note that around the world, libel and slander do carry prison sentences in multiple places and essentially based on my understanding of what was said in her case, there might be scope to consider those aspects; one might further consider whether it is appropriate to be saying and whipping up emotions in a mob situation. From McLibel to the various cases involving alleged claims and subsequent retractions in the english media for celebrities, business people and state figures, a person cannot just wander around the world spouting mistruths and there is law to protect them for this.

thank you for this. So it seems that her speech, even if said in other countries about say the Queen(in britain) or Obama (in Usa)would also get her a long jail sentence (again I have no idea what she said).

18 years is far too lenient.

Yet another brainless berk ! ( 18 yrs far too lenient)

I totally agree with the sentence. It is not like she was talking in private, she was on a stage with many people listening.

You remember this guy in GB, Abu Qatada? The UK government did jail him for his "hate speeches". He got 2,500 Pound from the "European Court of Human Rights" because the court found his detention without trial unlawful. At least they could deport him to Jordan where he was already convicted for life. So the European Laws make the job sometimes hard for the governments to get rid of people like Abu Qatada, who basically told his followers to kill as many "infidels" as possible, no matter if young or old, man or female including muslims and everybody else.

What got her the name torpedo? Her speeches! They were aimed to create popular unrest, with the examples given beeing some of the bloodiest so far.

So would she have been hanged in France for her speech at the time? Certainly!

Does she deserve 18 years in jail for it? IMO at least!

People talking about human rights and free speech are good, but just one question: If one person is likely to cause many people to suffer, jeopardize national integrity and is openly asking people to shed blood, would you say it's better to just leave her alone?

It was said before by some poster in Austria you can get upto 20 years in prison for beeing a "Nazi", other coutries have similar laws, just wearing a Swastika could get you into troubles in some places. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_against_Holocaust_denial

So she went for LM but would have gone for Public Incitement somewhere else, anyway she is hopfully thinking about her words now and shuts up forever!

Posts against the royal family, posts about moderation, and posts that quote such will continue disappearing. Forum rules.

Dear Moderator,

Please please just close out these endless negative forums. Might I suggest you advise all these expats to please just enjoy life and count their blessing or simply just go, that's it, go, go home. Thank you.

alaninkarachi.................yet another one opposed to freedom of speech.

Please mod don't let these hypocrites take over.

AS we all know the Lese Majeste law is there to protect .

In the UK the royal family from time to time have had to take action against what has been said . If we had this law , other than the more serious law of Treason, then the UK Royal family wouldnt have to take such actions against those who libel them, the law would protect them as the law does in Thailand. I am all for it , and against those who slander .

So you agree then that the UK legal system works ? Why therefore do you suggest that if we introduced a draconian les mageste law we would be better off? Your comparison of the two countries and their methods of handling statments made about their respective royal families is completely disingenous and unworthy and I object most strongly.

I think she will be given a royal pardon at sometime, however giving someone a pardon is making a mockery of the law unless an injustice has been done.

If pardons are handed out nilly-willy then there will be further disregard because they know they will get out of jail after spending only a short time there.

Personally unless an injustice has been done , all of those who break the law should be kept under lock and key if the punishment is serious enough to warrent it .

lest majeste cases are usually followed by pardons

Yeah, they are ussually pardon, and from what I some of my researches for a school project some years back, I remember reading that the king doesn't fully support that law, probably because it is a restriction on the freedom of speech

But then again, I'm not sure about this because the source was Wikipedia and it was quite a few years back

I think she will be given a royal pardon at sometime, however giving someone a pardon is making a mockery of the law unless an injustice has been done.

If pardons are handed out nilly-willy then there will be further disregard because they know they will get out of jail after spending only a short time there.

Personally unless an injustice has been done , all of those who break the law should be kept under lock and key if the punishment is serious enough to warrent it .

lest majeste cases are usually followed by pardons

Yeah, they are ussually pardon, and from what I some of my researches for a school project some years back, I remember reading that the king doesn't fully support that law, probably because it is a restriction on the freedom of speech

But then again, I'm not sure about this because the source was Wikipedia and it was quite a few years back

I think you would not be in such a hurry to pardon anyone that made direct threats on your life...

I hope Da Torpedo does not get off so easy.

This puts it in perspective.

Lese majeste claim

FCCT board members face police probe

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation 2-7-09 (page B1)

For the first time in its five-decade history, the whole board of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT) has been accused of committing lese majeste, a crime with a maximum jail sentence of 15 years.

Laksana Kornsilpa, 57, a translator and a critic of ousted and convicted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra filed a lese majeste complaint against the 13-member board at Lumpini police station on Tuesday night.

Laksana was quoted on ASTV Manager website as claiming the board’s decision to sell DVD copies of Jakrapob Penkair’s controversial speech at the club back in 2007 constituted an act of lese majeste.

She alleged that the whole board “may be acting in an organised fashion and the goal may be to undermine the credibility of the high institution of Thailand”.

ASTV Manager daily also quoted Laksana as saying some major local newspapers may also part of a movement to undermine the monarchy.

FCCT president Marwaan MacanMarkar said the board members have decided not to give separate interviews. It issued a statement saying: “The FCCT will cooperate with such an inquiry [by the police].”

The board, includes three British nationals including the BBC’s Bangkok correspondent Jonathan Head, three American nationals, including two working for Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal, an Australian national and a Thai news reader for Channel 3, Karuna Buakamsri.

Social critic and lese majeste case defendant Sulak Sivaraksa, reacting to the news, told The Nation yesterday that “the problem of [abusing] lese majeste law is now utterly messy”.

“The fact that leading world intellectuals like Noam Chomsky and others have petitioned to [PM] Abhisit [Vejjajiva to reform the law] is a testimony to it. If we let it goes on like this it will get even messier. It’s time for the government to do something.”

A source within the FCCT, speaking on condition of anonymity, said he was “surprised” at the latest allegation, which came after two years of the speech being made, adding that “it places Thailand in a very poor light”.

DVDs were set up largely for club members who missed interesting talks and sales are restricted solely for FCCT members. Few copies of the Jakrapob talk are understood to have been sold because a manuscript of his talk circulated in Bangkok shortly after he was charged, and the video can be downloaded free from some websites.

In the comments’ section on ASTV Manager’s website, most posters expressed support for Laksana and praised her for the move.

One said: “Put them in jail for 99 years.”

Another asked the site to post a picture of Jonathan Head so the person could attack him if he or she ran into him.

======

as you see my earlier request for more than 18 years jail are mild compared to this.

This puts it in perspective.

Lese majeste claim

FCCT board members face police probe

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation 2-7-09 (page B1)

For the first time in its five-decade history, the whole board of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Thailand (FCCT) has been accused of committing lese majeste, a crime with a maximum jail sentence of 15 years.

Laksana Kornsilpa, 57, a translator and a critic of ousted and convicted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra filed a lese majeste complaint against the 13-member board at Lumpini police station on Tuesday night.

Laksana was quoted on ASTV Manager website as claiming the board’s decision to sell DVD copies of Jakrapob Penkair’s controversial speech at the club back in 2007 constituted an act of lese majeste.

She alleged that the whole board “may be acting in an organised fashion and the goal may be to undermine the credibility of the high institution of Thailand”.

ASTV Manager daily also quoted Laksana as saying some major local newspapers may also part of a movement to undermine the monarchy.

FCCT president Marwaan MacanMarkar said the board members have decided not to give separate interviews. It issued a statement saying: “The FCCT will cooperate with such an inquiry [by the police].”

The board, includes three British nationals including the BBC’s Bangkok correspondent Jonathan Head, three American nationals, including two working for Bloomberg and the Wall Street Journal, an Australian national and a Thai news reader for Channel 3, Karuna Buakamsri.

Social critic and lese majeste case defendant Sulak Sivaraksa, reacting to the news, told The Nation yesterday that “the problem of [abusing] lese majeste law is now utterly messy”.

“The fact that leading world intellectuals like Noam Chomsky and others have petitioned to [PM] Abhisit [Vejjajiva to reform the law] is a testimony to it. If we let it goes on like this it will get even messier. It’s time for the government to do something.”

A source within the FCCT, speaking on condition of anonymity, said he was “surprised” at the latest allegation, which came after two years of the speech being made, adding that “it places Thailand in a very poor light”.

DVDs were set up largely for club members who missed interesting talks and sales are restricted solely for FCCT members. Few copies of the Jakrapob talk are understood to have been sold because a manuscript of his talk circulated in Bangkok shortly after he was charged, and the video can be downloaded free from some websites.

In the comments’ section on ASTV Manager’s website, most posters expressed support for Laksana and praised her for the move.

One said: “Put them in jail for 99 years.”

Another asked the site to post a picture of Jonathan Head so the person could attack him if he or she ran into him.

======

as you see my earlier request for more than 18 years jail are mild compared to this.

Do they have to stay jailed even if they die or would the person quoted want to incarcerate the souls too?

On a more serious note, these types of judgements simply help to increase the underground chatter of the masses as to why, what, who, where? This in no way serves to strengthen anything, and in my opinion serves only to increase the level of underground debate.

The law cannot compel all of the people to think in a certain way. Whether they express it or not is irrelevant in the long run.

Edited by Thai at Heart

thank you for this. So it seems that her speech, even if said in other countries about say the Queen(in britain) or Obama (in Usa)would also get her a long jail sentence (again I have no idea what she said).

18 years is far too lenient.

Anyone who threw their shoe at the US president in Washington would not get a prison sentence. Anyone who threw their shoe at the US president in Iraq might well get arrested and sentenced to jail.

Throwing a shoe is ok , as throwing a sock just aint worth it :)

she will be in a luxury cell when Thaksin gets back in power, and her lesbian tormentors (if there are as you suggest) will be ..... severely punished.

This speaks volumes! Thaksin will place her in a luxury cell for committing one of the worst crimes on Thai books. If it's true as you as say, not might, but will be given luxury, it shows his true character as nothing more than a liar. His pseudo-motions and statements during the petition march via satellite, and his repetitive statements about loyalty, I guess were just that...fake! Nice to hear from an avid Thaksin/Red supporter about the respect for the law amongst other things, not to mention a slap in the face to another.

BTW, I did read as well what she had said on that stage, and it was appalling. A few other posters gave a few clues, and they are correct. Can't say I feel sorry for her.

In the UK the royal family from time to time have had to take action against what has been said . If we had this law , other than the more serious law of Treason, then the UK Royal family wouldnt have to take such actions against those who libel them, the law would protect them as the law does in Thailand. I am all for it , and against those who slander .

You have GOT to be kidding. As one has to be oh so careful discussing this subject, I will not give my opinion on the laws in thailand in this regard.

I will instead respond to a HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO in which lese majeste laws are introduced into the BRITISH legal system, as suggested by the poster above.

Ahem.

In the context of a free, open, civilised society such as Britain, this execrable law has ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE and belongs firmly in the middle ages. If introduced to the UK, it would represent a monumental step backwards (say, oh, a few centuries at least). It quite simply boggles my mind that any intelligent westerner could even conceive of such a draconian and frankly medieval measure as having a place in a modern, truly democratic society which values free speech and human rights.

Naked slander is one thing, but there are already appropriate remedies in place to deal with this in the UK legal system. However the right to free speech, and voicing of dissenting opinions are entirely different and such rights are inalienable and enshrined at the core of civilised western societies, for very good reason. In our hypothetical example of the UK, I would humbly venture to suggest that such a law could be open to flagrant abuse by various corrupt forces whose only goal is to stamp out any form of opposition or opposing voices. In a situation where anyone can level an accusation of LM against anyone else on the merest whim, it could potentially be used to serve the pettiest of agendas, which I would venture to suggest in our hypothetical scenario would have absolutely nothing to do with protecting the British monarchy.

Finally, with regard to the monarchy in the UK, I think 99.99% of citizens there would agree with me when I say they are simply human, rather than divine or semi divine beings, who are simply born into a life of material privilege. As such they should have the same legal protection as any other citizen, and be equal before the law. Therefore the introduction of any special laws granting them greater immunity from critical appraisal is not only unnecessary but frankly wrong.

In summation, I would encourage any proponents of the introduction of such a law to join the rest of us in the 21st century. :)

P.s. At the risk of repeating myself, all of the above comments apply only to the hypothetical introduction of such a Law to the UNITED KINGDOM to "protect" the monarchy there. Please do not draw inferences about any other situation in any other country. :D

High Treason law covers the UK. Sorry for quoting Wikepedia, but this seems to cover it well enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_..._United_Kingdom

There is one astonishing thing in this piece that I didn't know.

A second form of high treason comprehended by the Treason Act 1351 was having sexual intercourse with "the King's companion, or the King's eldest daughter unmarried, or the wife of the King's eldest son and heir." If the intercourse is not consensual, only the rapist is liable, but if it is consensual, then both parties are liable (as Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, wives of Henry VIII, discovered to their cost). The jurist Sir William Blackstone writes that "the plain intention of this law is to guard the Blood Royal from any suspicion of bastardy, whereby the succession to the Crown might be rendered dubious." Thus, only women are covered in the statute; it is not, for example, high treason to rape a Queen-Regnant's husband. Similarly, it is not high treason to rape a widow of the Sovereign or of the heir-apparent. Diana, Princess of Wales admitted that she had an affair with her riding instructor, James Hewitt, between 1987 and 1992. As she was then the wife of the Prince of Wales, heir to the throne, this fitted the definition of high treason, and a national newspaper briefly attempted [2][3] to have Hewitt prosecuted for what was then still a capital offence.[4]

A bet that made James Hewitt pucker up for a few seconds.

Edited by Thai at Heart

You have GOT to be kidding. As one has to be oh so careful discussing this subject, I will not give my opinion on the laws in thailand in this regard.

I will instead respond to a HYPOTHETICAL SCENARIO in which lese majeste laws are introduced into the BRITISH legal system, as suggested by the poster above.

Ahem.

In the context of a free, open, civilised society such as Britain, this execrable law has ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE and belongs firmly in the middle ages. If introduced to the UK, it would represent a monumental step backwards (say, oh, a few centuries at least). It quite simply boggles my mind that any intelligent westerner could even conceive of such a draconian and frankly medieval measure as having a place in a modern, truly democratic society which values free speech and human rights.

Naked slander is one thing, but there are already appropriate remedies in place to deal with this in the UK legal system. However the right to free speech, and voicing of dissenting opinions are entirely different and such rights are inalienable and enshrined at the core of civilised western societies, for very good reason. In our hypothetical example of the UK, I would humbly venture to suggest that such a law could be open to flagrant abuse by various corrupt forces whose only goal is to stamp out any form of opposition or opposing voices. In a situation where anyone can level an accusation of LM against anyone else on the merest whim, it could potentially be used to serve the pettiest of agendas, which I would venture to suggest in our hypothetical scenario would have absolutely nothing to do with protecting the British monarchy.

Finally, with regard to the monarchy in the UK, I think 99.99% of citizens there would agree with me when I say they are simply human, rather than divine or semi divine beings, who are simply born into a life of material privilege. As such they should have the same legal protection as any other citizen, and be equal before the law. Therefore the introduction of any special laws granting them greater immunity from critical appraisal is not only unnecessary but frankly wrong.

In summation, I would encourage any proponents of the introduction of such a law to join the rest of us in the 21st century. :)

P.s. At the risk of repeating myself, all of the above comments apply only to the hypothetical introduction of such a Law to the UNITED KINGDOM to "protect" the monarchy there. Please do not draw inferences about any other situation in any other country. :D

What Da Torpedo spoke would bring you some punishment not only in the UK, but also in the rest of Europe or USA. If it is about a King, or any other person. You won't come in jail but you would pay some money.

Da Torpedo’s Speech Kills 12, Injures 344, Destroys Rice Harvest

Improper words from red-shirted activist causing blindness in children and elderly; Army mobilized

BANGKOK – In a stunning and horrific vindication of the government’s decision to treat the case of Daranee “Da Torpedo” Charncherngsilpakul as a national security issue, the inflammatory words of the red-shirted defendant have escaped from prison and killed at least 12 people in Bangkok and injured over 300, some severely.

Arrested last year shortly after making the speech, which included defamatory remarks against the monarchy, at an anti-government rally, Daranee has been held in prison and repeatedly denied bail. Additionally, her trial was closed to reporters and outside observers by the presiding judge, citing national security as the reason for the special conditions.

Strict censorship over reporting of the case in the Thai media, as well as the aggressive blocking of websites and online forums which discuss the case have largely contained Daranee’s dangerous words. But one draft of the deadly text appears to have escaped into the Thai public domain via a chatroom at Panthip.com.

Once free, the toxic words spread widely throughout the capital, breaking windows and setting small fires. Daranee’s speech has also been reported turning over cars at intersections and firing a pistol into a crowd of schoolchildren. Police attempted to subdue the speech, but it proved too powerful and aggressive for them.

“It grabbed the gun from my hand,” said one injured policeman who was taken to hospital. “It started pistol whipping me in the head and then ran off. I thought it was going to kill me.”

Though the policeman survived with only moderate injuries, others were not so lucky. The speech ran a public bus off Rama IV road, causing a crash that killed three passengers and injured many others. Later, flames ignited by the speech consumed a family of four inside their house in the Klong Toey area.

Additionally, persons who have encountered the speech on its rampage through the city have reported numbness, nausea, and in some extreme cases, loss of vision. The speech is suspected to have also killed farm animals, withered crops, and poisoned the water supply, though that has not yet been confirmed. Authorities have declared a nationwide state of emergency and urged everyone to stay indoors until the speech can be hunted down by the combined military forces and destroyed.

“These are no ordinary words,” explained General Anupong Paochinda. “This is a deadly force the likes of which we have never seen. I hate to say it but we tried to warn everyone. Now it may be too late.”

Since Daranee’s arrest, numerous western journalists and organizations have been writing about the case and calling for reform of the lese-majeste laws under which she was charged. However, with the new developments conclusively showing that words can kill, the opinion of journalists has quickly swayed the others way.

“Clearly things are different in Thailand,” admitted BBC correspondent Jonathan Head, who was himself charged with lese-majeste two years ago for reporting on possible royal involvement in the 2006 coup. “We outsiders must defer to their ancient wisdom and culture when it comes to domestic matters. I am terribly ashamed of my ignorance.”

The Economist magazine, which had been frequently withheld from distribution because of its in-depth reporting on the role of the king in political matters, issued an apology in its lead editorial, citing a “humbling lesson in how free speech is not a universal value; at least not in the totally morally separate universe of Asia.”

Daranee, who remains in custody, has been charged with 45 counts of murder, arson, mayhem, destruction of property, and treason against the Thai state in addition to her three counts of lese-majeste. Although she is legally entitled to separate trials for each charge, many in the Thai government are calling for her immediate execution.

“This woman should never be allowed to speak again,” said caretaker Senate Speaker Major General Manoonkrit Roopkachorn, who himself overthrew or attempted to overthrow the government four times, including an unsuccessful seizure of Bangkok in April 1981, which forced the royal family and prime minister Prem Tinsulanonda to flee the city, and another in 1985 which killed five and injured 60. He was never charged for any crime after being granted parliamentary amnesty by subsequent governments consisting largely of ex-military men.

“It’s our duty to recognize the real threats to our nation,” Manoonkrit said, “and in Thailand words always speak louder than actions.”

-Not the Nation

I don't have the time to read all previous pages but one thing springs to mind:

Thailand has placed itself back into:

MEDIEVAL TIMES :D

Earlier this week a:

re-installment of executions

now

3 x 6 years = 18 years.

What has become of this country ? :D

I pity Thailand and it's -mainly poor- citizens.

I fear something nasty is going to happen in the very near future!

Thailand is on the wrong track. :) I was hoping Abhisit would change things for the better......did he ?

LaoPo

What Da Torpedo spoke would bring you some punishment not only in the UK, but also in the rest of Europe or USA. If it is about a King, or any other person. You won't come in jail but you would pay some money.

Since most of us don't know exactly what she said, and for us in Thailand to listen to it would in itself constitute lese majeste, I think making a legal judgement on what may or may not have happened in other legal jurisdictions is completely disingenuous and highly insulting to other countries legal systems. You aren't a judge, so keep your amateur legalese to yourself.

And I quote again....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_treason_..._United_Kingdom

James Hewitt, between 1987 and 1992. As she was then the wife of the Prince of Wales, heir to the throne, this fitted the definition of high treason, and a national newspaper briefly attempted [2][3] to have Hewitt prosecuted for what was then still a capital offence.[4]

Obviously sense does prevail elsewhere in the world.

post-87177-1251437416.jpg

Da Torpedo sentenced to 18 years in jail for lese majeste

By The Nation

The Criminal Court on Friday found activist Daranee Chancheonsilapakul, aka Da Torpedo, guilty of lese majeste and sentenced her to a combined jail term of 18 years.

Daranee, 46, made a series of inflammatory speeches at the red-shirt rallies, notably the demonstration last June at Sanam Luang. Her remarks were against the 2006 coup but laced with offensive references to the monarchy.

The court said in its verdict that Daranee had maliciously offended the monarchy as per Article 112 of the Criminal Code.

She was penalised for three counts of lese majeste, each carrying the punishment for six year imprisonment.

The court found no cause for leniency because the defendant showed no remorse.

About 30 supporters showed up at the verdict session but none dressed in red.

I think someone needs to update the Wikipedia entry on lese majesty and its section on Thailand.

It seems their quote of 15 years maximum sentence under Article 112 is wrong.

Does anyone know what it now stands at?

I think that it always pays to read, at least, the opening page of a thread before posting - and yes I know that at another person has answered you before!

:)

Edited by Yaaklenmai

Daranee, who remains in custody, has been charged with 45 counts of murder, arson, mayhem, destruction of property, and treason against the Thai state in addition to her three counts of lese-majeste. Although she is legally entitled to separate trials for each charge, many in the Thai government are calling for her immediate execution.

Did she murder, kill anyone ? :)

LaoPo

Yes i agree. if we had similar laws in the UK the tabloids wouldn't be able to write the trash they do about our Royal Family. The disgusting stuff they wrote about our queen after Diana had left the Royal Family 2 years previously and shacked-up with some Muslim chap. What was she doing at a Casino at that hour is anyone's business but certainly not the Queen of England. They complained in every way imaginable that Queen Elizabeth II a lady in her senior years didn't fly down from Scotland immediately.

Lese Majeste Law is good 18yrs is obviously outrageous and this law has been abused for political reasons. In a democracy there does need to freedom of speech its just striking a balance.

She was divorced and free to do as she wanted; and she was not at a casino " at that hour"

LaoPo

no, the 18 years was for making a speech.

murder would have probably gotten much less.

(the article you quoted was from Not The Nation)

That FCCT affair was just a reminder that western journalists do not have automatic immunity and should obey the laws of the host country.

They've been behaving like some sort of anti-monarchy/revolution club for too long, inviting one LM offender after another, and then selling their recorded speeches. Whatever they think of Thai political system, medieval or not, it's not their job to support any revolutionary movement, anywhere in the world.

And it's not North Korea or Zimbabwe, there's no unified world opinion on merits of Thai revering their King.

Hold on, there IS a unified opinion - Thailand is a Kingdom and no country or official organisation support anti-monarchy movement, except those FCCT journalists.

LaoPo

He was attempting irony via appropriation from 'Not The Nation' website.

Irony in the 1st person seems beyond the ken in this case.

I hope Da Torpedo does not get off so easy.

Why is that TAWP?

LaoPo

You mean, why I hope she doesn't get pardoned in December?

Since a direct threat upon a very special family's life's isn't a matter of insults and I can understand the anger her speech has stirred in some groups. She was calling for blood in a very direct way.

I think someone needs to update the Wikipedia entry on lese majesty and its section on Thailand.

It seems their quote of 15 years maximum sentence under Article 112 is wrong.

Does anyone know what it now stands at?

She was given 6 years per count, 3 counts.

Maximum in accordance to the law was therefor 45 years. She got 18.

What a bargain!

Some countries allow sentences to be served concurrently instead of consecutively for similar crimes...under certain circumstances.