Breakfast in bangkok

Article from "Breakfast in Bangkok" section of Bangkok Post

September 30, 2003

Thailand tightens its belt visitors

The cost of Thai visas officially went up on August 23, 2003. The new prices have risen substantially for longer stay visas. Letters on the subject to this newspaper's Postbag section were abundant. Some respondents said it would force them to relocate to another country.

The hikes are final and were announced in the Royal Gazette on June 27. According to a Thai immigration officer, visa prices were last raised in 1980. Presently 39 countries are allowed a 30-day visa-free privilege to enter Thailand. In 1998 there were 56 countries on this list.

A tourist visa, which allows a visit of 60 days, has gone from US$15 to US$25. A non-immigrant visa has gone from US$20 to US$50. A one-year non-immigrant multiple-entry visa used to cost US$40. It has risen to US$125. A visa extension is up from US$12 to US$50. An application fee for a permanent residence permit has gone from US$50 to US$190. Upon issue of the permit, a fee of US$4,785 is required, up from US$1,250.

Purportedly, there will also be new immigration rules coming into affect in July 2004. Some of the changes will involve more stringent financial conditions. Another proposal will address requirements for foreigners working in Thailand. One rumour going round was that foreigners on a single non-immigrant visa would have to leave the country and would not be allowed back in for six months.

Concerned about the changes for visas and immigration, a large number of people turned out for the weekly meeting of the newly formed Expats Association of Thailand. A Q&A session with a Thai immigration official drew many questions regarding retirement and marriage visas. The Expat Association is a non-profit organisation open to all foreigners living in Thailand. Founding members hope to create a social and professional network.

"The retirement visa issue is one that many people are still not clear about," declared the association's vice president, Kurt Francis. "From what we understand, a retirement candidate must have US$20,000 in a Thai bank account or US$1,600 coming into a Thai bank account monthly or a combination of the two." The minimum age to apply for this visa is 50.

The Thai immigration official warned people from using local non-government-run visa service providers as the police have started cracking down on the services in light of recent terrorist threats and the arrest of a senior member of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) group, Mr Hambali, an Indonesian who was travelling in and out of Thailand on a fake Spanish passport. Police became aware of Mr Hambali's presence in December of 2002. The upcoming Apec meeting in October 2003 has also heightened visa awareness. "We are lying low, until after Apec is finished," said the proprietor of one visa service. The British Embassy in Bangkok has also issued a warning against using local visa agents.

Thailand's immigration and visa system looks to be tightening in line with other countries around the world in light of current world events. While the higher prices will certainly hurt people on a budget, certain terrorist groups with large sums of money at their disposal will not be affected.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the article! It was very informative!

My question is I'm an Indian visting Thailand for period of 14 days! I've been told that I can apply for on entry visa!

Can you please tell me the procedure & exact fees required for the same?

I checked official site of Thai Embassy & they say fees is still 300 baht! IS it accurate or just not updated?

Also if I leave at end of 14 days for KL & singapore by road & than come back to Bangkok just to catch my flight do I need to get a visa again?!

Thanks in advance!

:-)

Marty   Did that Immigration Official address the vexed question regarding de facto residents hopping across border's every 30 days, avoiding getting a visa, and ignoring the financial requirements required of retirees and spouses of Thai nationals ?

Here we go again, lol.

Maigo6,

Leave the good Dr.P.P. at peace with his say, please.

Each to it's own opinion. And yes, you had your say as well.

Read my little LOL that I post.

much better, me think.

???

Doctor, I sent the following email to Scott Sherron at BKKPost but have not received a reply as yet:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the article. I took the liberty of posting it on the www.thaivisa.com website for information of the members, many of whom are concerned about the new immigration rules coming into affect in July 2004 as it may affect their situations.

re the following statement: "Another proposal will address requirements for foreigners working in Thailand. One rumour going round was that foreigners on a single non-immigrant visa would have to leave the country and would not be allowed back in for six months."

Did the immigration official discuss the rumour in any detail? The reason I ask is that it seems to apply more to foreigners who enter on a tourist visa and then stay permanently in Thailand on a de facto basis, by repeatedly exiting across the border and re-entering on another tourist visa, than to foreigners working in Thailand on a non-immigrant "B" visa, or to retirees living in Thiland on a non-immigrant "O-A" visa.

Best regards

Marty  Good for you. One point of clarification. The 30 day arrival permit is for tourism purposes, and strictly speaking, is not a visa. Only a minor point. If a tourist arrives by air, he is required to have a confirmed outbound ticket before arrival.

Thanks    :cool:

Doctor,

Scott Herron replied as follows:

Dear Martin,

I did not attend the Expats' Association meeting, so don't know if the rumour was discussed or not. I read about the rumour in the Nation newspaper. Kurt Francis from the association may have more info on it.  

Do you happen to have any idea as to the approximate number of expats living in Thailand?

If I hear anymore info on visa stuff I'll let you know.

Sincerely,

Scott Herron

re his question as to the number of expats living in Thailand. An interesting question. Are there any published figures on this that you know of?

Alas, the figures are so blurry because of the walkers. The ghosts. ALL of whom believe they are doing the right thing

CMT indicated that 50 walks was fine. MY GOD ....no wonder the poop is hitting the fan.

Walkers, Hoppers, undesirables, endangered species, and now................Ghosts.

:o

lol, i love it.