Tourist Visa For Oz From Vientiane

About 10 days ago I lodged applications for Visitors (tourist) visas for my Thai wife and her 9 year old son with the Oz Embassy in Vientiane. She has had 2 previous 12 month tourist visas.

As we live about 1 hour from Nong Khai, this was a far simpler solution than having to travel to Bangkok.

Today the Mrs crossed the bridge again, and picked up the passports and visas. As requested, she was given a 12 month, multiple entry (3 months maximum).

However, her son was given a single entry with 3 months maximum. My wife was also informed that future applications for the son would need to be lodged in Bangkok, but there was no problem with lodging future applications for herself in Vientiane.

About 10 days ago I lodged applications for Visitors (tourist) visas for my Thai wife and her 9 year old son with the Oz Embassy in Vientiane. She has had 2 previous 12 month tourist visas.

As we live about 1 hour from Nong Khai, this was a far simpler solution than having to travel to Bangkok.

Today the Mrs crossed the bridge again, and picked up the passports and visas. As requested, she was given a 12 month, multiple entry (3 months maximum).

However, her son was given a single entry with 3 months maximum. My wife was also informed that future applications for the son would need to be lodged in Bangkok, but there was no problem with lodging future applications for herself in Vientiane.

Interesting situation......looking forward to Bridges response on this one.

It does seem to be a bit silly.

Were you given any reasons as to why and also you said your wife has had two previous visas....did the son also have previous or is this his first one.

Were you given any reasons as to why and also you said your wife has had two previous visas....did the son also have previous or is this his first one.

Initial application for the son. gb.

No reasons given - I can only surmise that they (Immigration) are very sensitive about applications from children of a single parent, even though my wife has sole guardianship (Por Kor 14).

Initial application for the son. gb.

No reasons given - I can only surmise that they (Immigration) are very sensitive about applications from children of a single parent, even though my wife has sole guardianship (Por Kor 14).

I guess they may see it that if the son was on a 12 month ME then it would be incentive for them to overstay. Especially a school age kid who would miss a lot of school.