Anything Else You Are Looking For In A Mexican Restaurant?

Monita

Mexican Restaurant poll  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Poor Monita, the guy opens a thread asking people what they would like to see in a Mexican restaurant in Bangkok and in this relatively short thread it has been easy to determine that there is an almost endless supply of different opinions.

This is one of the big problems with restaurants, no matter what you do you will never be able to satisfy everybody who visits your establishments.

Many of the suggestions made here have been made with out consideration of the cost of the ingredients or there availability. Which of course if the proprietor were to implement would mean the cost of his meals would be extremely high.

Then those exact same people would be back here complaining that the prices on his menu are outrageous and nobody should ever eat at this restaurant because it is so expensive.

You can't win no matter what you do; you will never be able to satisfy everybody.

1) One guy wants Tex-Mex verse Cal-Mex. While I enjoy Mexican food I am certainly no expert on it and could not tell you the difference between the styles.

2) The next guy wants an endless supple of guacamole.

3) Another person is concerned about the sour cream and wants you to make your own.

4) Somebody else wants you to make your own tortillas in house.

5) Another suggestion is to start a farm and produce your own produce.

6) Still somebody else wants you to use either jack, longhorn, or queso blanco cheeses.

7) Another suggestion is to have 5 or more salsas.

If you were to implement all of there suggestions you would have to charge 1,000 for each meal. Good luck, it is obvious there is no way to satisfy everybody. I am sure that you have determined by now to just do the best you can and that is all you can do. You have your hands tied behind your back to begin with because of the availability and price of so many of your key ingredients verse what you can charge on your menu, which so many of the contributors to this thread fail to understand.

Thanks billaaa777 for feeling for me. I know I won't be able to incorporate all the comments from this forum into my restaurants. However, the comments that all of you gave me are very valuable. Lots of them are exactly of how I feel. Others are practical and help me understand the market. Hope my food will speak for itself : )

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Being from Texas :) I'd prefer Tex-Mex. Old Mexico must have ten Mexican cuisines. Good luck.

Being from Mexico, I have not found any Mexican food in Thailand That I could eat. I eat Mexican food almost every day, at home fresh home made tortillas, chili Rellenos, Tostadas, Taco's , Enchiladas rolled and Chatas. Posole, Menudo and last week Tamales!

Everybody says I want authentic Mexican food, them go on to say, Do not use a lot of cilantro and to use sour cream. I never ate sour cream on Sonora style food where I grew up. that is used more in the south of Mexico.

we used Queso Fresco and cream cheese in our refried beans. Cilantro is one of the main ingredients in indigenous Mexican food.

Focus on quality of your food, find a few Thai women and teach them how to make tortillas, real homemade tortillas. Most of the beans sold in restaurants are dry and extremely hard to digest.

I wish you luck, what is needed badly here in Thailand is a good Mexican place to eat. Remember focus on the quality of your food.

PS I make my own Nixtamal, the lime is available all over Thailand.

Being from Texas :) I'd prefer Tex-Mex. Old Mexico must have ten Mexican cuisines. Good luck.

Being from Mexico, I have not found any Mexican food in Thailand That I could eat. I eat Mexican food almost every day, at home fresh home made tortillas, chili Rellenos, Tostadas, Taco's , Enchiladas rolled and Chatas. Posole, Menudo and last week Tamales!

Everybody says I want authentic Mexican food, them go on to say, Do not use a lot of cilantro and to use sour cream. I never ate sour cream on Sonora style food where I grew up. that is used more in the south of Mexico.

we used Queso Fresco and cream cheese in our refried beans. Cilantro is one of the main ingredients in indigenous Mexican food.

Focus on quality of your food, find a few Thai women and teach them how to make tortillas, real homemade tortillas. Most of the beans sold in restaurants are dry and extremely hard to digest.

I wish you luck, what is needed badly here in Thailand is a good Mexican place to eat. Remember focus on the quality of your food.

PS I make my own Nixtamal, the lime is available all over Thailand.

Please post recipes (here are send them to me)...........maybe somebody will read this and learn how to make Mexican food..........especially recipes for rellenos, enchiladas, tacos and tamales......how do you make it in Thailand? Thai beef is horrible.........

Nixtamal, the lime, is all over Thailand? What is the Thai word for it? How do you make corn tortillas and tamales in Thailand? Thanks.

Nixtamal, the lime, is all over Thailand? What is the Thai word for it? How do you make corn tortillas and tamales in Thailand? Thanks.

Hi JR,

The Thai word is "poon gin mak" (sounds like "bpoon", not "phoon")

Make sure you get the white, not the pink stuff.

So, you can say "poon gin mak si khao"

Be sure it is food grade, not agricultural.

Hi JR,

The Thai word is "poon gin mak" (sounds like "bpoon", not "phoon")

Make sure you get the white, not the pink stuff.

So, you can say "poon gin mak si khao"

Be sure it is food grade, not agricultural.

Thank you.

Hello JR, did you forget this thread?http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Find-Masa-Thailand-t238028.html

You posted 11 times, and were also given a link to what your

looking for now.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Slaked-Lime-t233559.html

Your memory got to be shorter than my D***.

Sorry to hear about your chili crop failure, time to plant again!

I've got a fine crop of 'A's' growing and some Pasilla Bajio(Chili

Negro) for mole sauce.

rice555

So please let me know what you want to see more in Mexican restaurant, any food items you want Mexican restaurant to offer, or anything at all that you want to share. We are very much appreciate your comments.

Monita

For your menu consider : Carnitas and Carne Asada

I used Thai Chili, to make Chili rellenos, at the local market . They are long ,light green. We buy all the biggest ones. My Wife makes flour tortillas daily, I taught her how from an old Mexican cookbook. The chili's are toasted on the stove and the outer skin peeled off, then they are cut a line down the side, we do not take the seeds out. we put in a chunk of cheese. dip it in eggs batter and fry them. I eat them wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla. Chili relleno Burritos

When in Rome do as the Romans do!

When in Thailand use what the Thais Have.

I would like to find Avocates for 25 baht a kilo, we use the Haas brand but they are very expensive, so the smooth skins ones will do.

I do not use much Thai beef in my cooking to lean, I use pork. I have an underground pit bar-b-Que and have only cooked pork in it, I leave it under ground for about 12 hours.

Every Thai within miles around came to watch me open it up the 1st time ,I used it. They were saying it would not work! when I opened it up I reached in and pulled out a clean pork bones all the meat just fell off of it. When the rains stop I will open it up, take the water out of the pit, let it dry out a few days and then cook a cows head, or a young goat in it.

Where do you think you ll open it ? Bangkok ? Never had any real mexican food I think so I d like to taste so dont open too far :) Maybe someone could recommend a typical mexican meal and place in bkk ?

Deksan, La Monita Taqueria will be located in Mahatun Plaza, Ploenchit BTS stop. Hope it's not too far from you. Will keep you all posted about the opening date again on this board : )

I used Thai Chili, to make Chili rellenos, at the local market . They are long ,light green. We buy all the biggest ones. My Wife makes flour tortillas daily, I taught her how from an old Mexican cookbook. The chili's are toasted on the stove and the outer skin peeled off, then they are cut a line down the side, we do not take the seeds out. we put in a chunk of cheese. dip it in eggs batter and fry them. I eat them wrapped in a fresh flour tortilla. Chili relleno Burritos

I would like to find Avocates for 25 baht a kilo, we use the Haas brand but they are very expensive, so the smooth skins ones will do.

I do not use much Thai beef in my cooking to lean, I use pork. I have an underground pit bar-b-Que and have only cooked pork in it, I leave it under ground for about 12 hours.

Every Thai within miles around came to watch me open it up the 1st time ,I used it. They were saying it would not work! when I opened it up I reached in and pulled out a clean pork bones all the meat just fell off of it. When the rains stop I will open it up, take the water out of the pit, let it dry out a few days and then cook a cows head, or a young goat in it.

Interesting post..............the chili species you mentioned can make relleno but it is certainly not the real thing (but we both know that). I use it in a similar way, roast it.......small slice down side........remove seeds.......dust with flour........stuff with cheese.......dip in egg whites (whipped to hel_l and back)......fry and sometimes dip more egg white on top while frying........cover with good sauce. My Thai wife loves them. I really think this is an opportunity missed by those who own Mexican restaurants in Thailand.

Smoking meat underground? Lots of Polynesians, Melanesians, Micronesians do it.......also I have seen it in the Middle East. It is very hard to teach Thais something new. That technique would make great taco meat...........hint, hint, hint............

I would also suggest to consider offering a Sope or Gordita on the menu.... never seen them here as well. Great for lunch or dinner. Might be worth a test, anyway. You would need a supply of masa, in which case you could also offer tamales - something else I haven't seen here, other than the frozen section.

I have to agree with this. You need a niche. Something the other restaurants don't offer. Stand out and be unique. People will come because you have something they cannot get somewhere else.

One niche would be an actual Tex-Mex restaurant. I know, many people think that is what is served here. It is not Tex-Mex. And I should know since I grew up eating it.

What is served here, for the most part, is a very bad version of California-Mex w/ Taco Bell creeping in.

Tacos and Salsa at least produces some decent Mexican food......it is not Tex-Mex, but it is OK.

The first person to open a real Tex-Mex restaurant in Thailand will make a fortune........still waiting.

I would strongly advise you to avoid existing "Mexican restaurant models" in Thailand. The same old rotten thing will not work.

About tomatillo...........I did get some seeds and some did sprout and one even reached maturity (died later because the roots his rock bottom).

It would be nice of have real green enchiladas.

So what's the difference between tex and cal mex? What makes them different from az mex or new mex mex?

So what's the difference between tex and cal mex? What makes them different from az mex or new mex mex?

To me, having lived in both states, I think it is good vs. bad :) Having said that, Tex-Mex (in general) has more sauce, cheese, and oil........nothing pretty about it. No sprinkles of bean sprouts :D

If you go to a typical Tex-Mex place, you are not going to find fish on the menu (a fish taco is a frightening thought to most Texans). The main ingredients are beef and cheese.........also, burritos are almost never ordered.........that is what you get at Taco Bell..........

Typical meals include tamales, enchiladas, tacos, rellenos, fajitas, bean, rice....................soft corn tortillas are often served and chips (free of charge) and great salsa.

Tex-Mex is not healthy..........it is delicious.

Having said that, you can find some similar food in California..........I found the best tamales ever in California (they reminded me of Tex-Mex).

What is in Thailand now is Crap-Mex...........and overpriced at that. Two places are offering food that is much better than the others.........one I have tried (Tacos and Salso) and the other I have not tried but believe the reports (Miguels in Chiang Mai).

The rest should just shut their doors and try something else.

What is in Thailand now is Crap-Mex...........and overpriced at that. Two places are offering food that is much better than the others.........one I have tried (Tacos and Salso) and the other I have not tried but believe the reports (Miguels in Chiang Mai).

I VERY MUCH agree! :)

I am sure this has been said before but this is about Mexican food not Texican food!! I spenty 3 months in Mexico and loved the food I had many fish taco's I fell in love with tamales and would definitely go to a mexican restauraiunt if it had authentic mexican food.

I am sure this has been said before but this is about Mexican food not Texican food!! I spenty 3 months in Mexico and loved the food I had many fish taco's I fell in love with tamales and would definitely go to a mexican restauraiunt if it had authentic mexican food.

Totally agree with you, beammeup. Good Mexican food is good Mexican food! Mexican food from Mexico is amazing. Tex-mex and Cal-Mex can be the bomb too if you prepare it right. Let's see if you like my Mexican food...

I would also suggest to consider offering a Sope or Gordita on the menu.... never seen them here as well. Great for lunch or dinner. Might be worth a test, anyway. You would need a supply of masa, in which case you could also offer tamales - something else I haven't seen here, other than the frozen section.

I have to agree with this. You need a niche. Something the other restaurants don't offer. Stand out and be unique. People will come because you have something they cannot get somewhere else.

Thanks for your input, kyb789 and ChefHeat. I like that idea as well. Will definitely incorporate the unique food in the menu. May be put it in a special of the week item first to see the reaction of customers.

Interesting post..............the chili species you mentioned can make relleno but it is certainly not the real thing (but we both know that). I use it in a similar way, roast it.......small slice down side........remove seeds.......dust with flour........stuff with cheese.......dip in egg whites (whipped to hel_l and back)......fry and sometimes dip more egg white on top while frying........cover with good sauce. My Thai wife loves them. I really think this is an opportunity missed by those who own Mexican restaurants in Thailand.

Smoking meat underground? Lots of Polynesians, Melanesians, Micronesians do it.......also I have seen it in the Middle East. It is very hard to teach Thais something new. That technique would make great taco meat...........hint, hint, hint............

JR Texas,

I have tried growing chilis, squash and corn, they grow to about 5 inches high and then die,my brother in the eson, was able to grow squash and corn, he sent me some. That is what I used to make my nixtamal, RE: Menudo and tamales. My wife picked up the cal at the local market, the Thais advised her it should not be used on food products. I have been doing it for all my life. I am need of a better dent corn ,with larger corn and easy to turn into Nixtamal.

I am in the process of building a Horno in my back yard, for bread, empanadas and pizza making. I am the only non Thai living in my village and have nothing to do with my time but surf the internet and watch T.V..

I need to keep active so I do all these little projects. I have made my own Dill pickles (refrigerator ones) they turn out great. used a salt brine with 1 spoon of vinegar. my wife also makes Kim Chee. and she made chile con carne tamales ,using sticky rice instead of masa, they were not to bad. on the 2nd batch ,had to season up the sticky rice.

Thais do not try my foods, they like to eat their own food. my wife and girls eat it and enjoy it. they love my arroz con poLLo.

I will most likely open the underground pit, for New Years. The Thais did like the pit cooked pork.

Not many falangs in my neck of the woods!

Totally agree with you, beammeup. Good Mexican food is good Mexican food! Mexican food from Mexico is amazing. Tex-mex and Cal-Mex can be the bomb too if you prepare it right. Let's see if you like my Mexican food...

When does it look like you will open? I agree, good Mexican food is good Mexican food, though I was told I was wrong in my review of a competitor of yours down the road.

I look forward to trying your place.

Dr. Burrito

When does it look like you will open? I agree, good Mexican food is good Mexican food, though I was told I was wrong in my review of a competitor of yours down the road.

I look forward to trying your place.

Dr. Burrito

Thank you Dr. Burrito... I would say the opening will be in the beginning of November : ) Hope to see you soon!

I hear people talking about making Tex Mex food, where is that different that other Mexican food. The only other food I found that was different and excellent was from New Mexico using Barker and Hatch Valley chilis.

I grew up in Sonora and never had chile poblano. All our chili rellenos were made with chile verde (more like the New Mexican and California chilis) Sonora Moms make great big hand stretched tortillas (and we never use baking powder) that is one thing I did not like in New Mexico ,little fat tortillas.

That is just like saying that this recipe is the authentic one for making Tuna Casserole, Fried Chicken, Pot roast etc. there is no one way to make authentic foods, they are made a hundred different ways in America.

That goes the same, for hundreds of different ways to make Mexican food.

By the way ,I am putting the finishing touches on a Mexican Horno (stone Pizza Oven) hope to include pictures of my horno and barbacoa pit soon!

This was a Mexican Feast, cooking a calf under ground, Beans, Sopa de aroz, Salsa and tortillas. A lot of beer and Tequila Cuevo! What great memories!