Renewal Of Thai Driving License

First of all,jaja i know i should use the search engine,i did so for the last 30 min,but didnt find anything clear.

Ok my current Thai DL [the first Thai DL] will expire on March 31st,i would like to renew it and get a 5years DL,now my questions

1.DO i need a letter of residence?

2.If i need a letter of residence,where to get it.1.Local Ampher?2.Local Policestation?Immigration?

3.what do i need to get that letter of residence?

4.Do i need a health certificate or not?

5.My current Thai DL will expire on march31st,so will i get a 5 year extension of it if i go exactly on March31st,or do i have to go there later?

6.if later,how many days later is acceptable for the Transport office?im asking because on April1st i go on vacation to Malaysia for a week,so i wont be back in Thailand before April 8th.

Ok guys thanks in advance for any help

You just tell the Embassy your address in Thailand, and they issue the document. Not a big deal, but the document must be in Thai language.

If you go the Immigration route they might want to see house registration and ID card from the Thai house owner.

George is spot on , again...sorry for this clip etc but here is the US Embassy form.

KINGDOM OF THAILAND

BANGKOK METROPOLIS

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Before me, Vice Consul of the United States of America in and for Bangkok Metropolis, Thailand, duly commissioned and qualified, personally appeared who being duly sworn, deposes and says:

1. I, was born on , at

(full name) (full date)

, and am the bearer of U.S. Passport No.

(city/state) (country)

issued on at .

(date) (city/state) (country)

2. I am presently employed by

(name of employer)

and reside at .

(local address in full)

3. The purpose of this affidavit is to:

Request to the Thai Authority to issue me a Thai Driver’s

License so that I may drive in the Kingdom of Thailand.

4. Under penalty of perjury, I assume full and

(full name)

complete responsibility for the veracity of the claims herein.

(signature of affiant must be made in front of consular officer)

Subscribed and sworn to before me on:

Vice Consul of the United States of America

I suppose if you open it wider the space will return.....I got if from ACS US Emb Bangkok......seems to be good at return e-mails.

Edited by HumbleFlyer

From my own experience I agree with Crossy above. When my first (1 Year) Thai license expired I went with my wife (because all the forms are in Thai) with 2 photos, passport plus copies of the photo and visa pages (you must not have a visitor's visa. I have a non-immigrant 'O' ) , the expired license and the fee which is something like 505 baht. Painless. Went back the same afternoon to collect it.

I recently replaced my license to reflect my new address and passport number. This did need a letter from immigration because of the change of address but as I have been here nearly four years and have faithfully reported every 90 days then immigration didn't require a letter from the police confirming my address. Again, old license, passport etc plus a replacement fee of 55 baht. The old license is returned with holes punched thrpough it to invalidate it.

Lung Bing

Ok, I was there 2 weeks ago, Only had my D/L, photo's and my passport.

Took about 15 minutes.

I did have a visa problem, but it was easy. My wife sorted all of that. I can't speak Thai that fast.