Did Not Do 90 Day Report For Almost 10 Years

90 day reporting only started about 18 mkonths ago

BUT i am sure when he did is last extension they told him to reporty every 90 days and stamped it on his tm card.

Expect a 2,000 baht fine

What amazes me is the amount of people living here that do not know the laws....

Better said, "the enforcement of 90-day reporting ...." The law has been on the books for ages, 20-30 years or more.

Sample of the old Arrival/Departure card attached, provided a few months back by ???.

However, you're correct about scads of expats who don't know about this requirement, until they have to shell out the baht 2,000 as a reminder.

Mac

post-32650-1251596124_thumb.jpg

when you consider how unimportant punctuality is in this country, why bother at all?

I am not sure I understand what punctuality has to do with making a report every 90 days.

You have a window of + or - 7 days to do it and it can be done by mail to most immigration offices or even by somebody you appoint to do it for you.

90 day reporting only started about 18 months ago

It has been the law for 30 years. Enforcement started much longer ago than 18 months.

I recall a discussion with somebody about ten years ago that had just gotten his first retirement extension and he mentioned having to do 90 day reports.

I have a friend who's last arrival was in September 1999. He has an marriage Visa and till now he never reported his 90 day's, and not any immigration officer, till recently made any remark about it. Last month when he did go for his annual extension at Suan Phlu they put a stamp in his passport that he have to report every 90 day's. Now he is worried that he will get seriuos problems because he never did any reporting.

The last 10 years my friend did not leave the country, but now he is planning a trip for a few day's to Singapore and hes afraid that when he use his re-entry visa he will have problem and have to pay an heavy fee because he did not report. He calculated that it could be more than 500 000 baht.

Does anyone have some advise to avoid this?

Thanks again in advance for the given advice

He will not have any problem if he has already extended his visa for a year and has a new reentry permit. The 90 day report problem would have come up at the immigration office where he renewed his visa last month. I am surprised he was not nabbed for a big fine on the spot! He should me careful and report every 90- days in the future.

It was during the time of the first economic downturn so 1997 it was 57 b to the U.S. $. I was living in an apt off Thonglor at about 6am there was a huge knock on the door....It was the police telling me that I had to come with them. We arrived at the Suan Phlu station and I was informed that they were checking to see if I and the other farangs had both reported and used the correct address on the form....I had only recently come back from buisness in Japan so I was okay.

The Govt was doing whatever it could to generate income. Wonder if it will ever come back to this.

Here in Chiang Mai the wretched 90 day nonsense recently got a whole lot more tiresome and tedious. You now have to submit, along with the reporting form, a copy of the passport main and visa pages, together with a copy of the latest reminder slip and the arrival card. And another forest comes crashing down.

This pettifogging bit of bureaucracy was ignored for years until somebody realised its potential for empire building and god knows how many extra Directors, Heads, Deputies etc etc now owe their sinecures to it. In CM this little corner of the empire is often “manned” by two giggling schoolgirls - work experience you know: How to give farangs the run around, tee hee.

However, at annual renewal they are looking for the last reporting slip and to see that it is within date although probably whoops forgot and the Baht2k would get over that since they do not yet seem to be keeping a continuous historical check on reporting. Now there’s potential for a whole new department.

If only the wording of the regulation could be changed by just ONE word: Report if you CHANGE your address, which is, of course the relevant record which immigration need to have, there clearly being no point whatever in reporting the same address ad nauseam. There is, however, no chance whatsoever of so sensible a modification in this or any other bureaucracy.

An estimated 50% of effort in bureaucracies is devoted to self-sustaining and expansion strategies just take a look at the EU or the British National Health Service whose mottos is, “We get bigger and better”? No, “We just get bigger and bigger”.

Perhaps the 90 day nonsense is a small price to pay after all to be away from that crock of crap.

personally i hope it will be much more than 2000 baht

as i paid it for 10 days overdue... forget to check it and they treath you like a criminal... have to sign a book, pay the money and all that **** for just 10 days over time....

really *****

if u are US citizen... you would feel this is your probation officer all you have to report to after you commited a crime !!!

The form which is attached to your passport tells you to report within 90 days. If you go out of the country and re enter a month later on a re entry visa do you still have to report 90 days from the date on the form or do the 90 days start again from the entry stamp at the airport? One can assume that the airport entry is like reporting in the interim but there is no clear ruling that I can see about this. Does anyone have the correct ruling?

The form which is attached to your passport tells you to report within 90 days. If you go out of the country and re enter a month later on a re entry visa do you still have to report 90 days from the date on the form or do the 90 days start again from the entry stamp at the airport? One can assume that the airport entry is like reporting in the interim but there is no clear ruling that I can see about this. Does anyone have the correct ruling?

If you leave before the date your report is due there is no need to make that report because you are not in the country for more than 90 days.

The new 90 days starts from the date you enter the country again.

Just checked recently with SuanPlu and it's 2000 if you report and 4000 if you get caught and when I suggested well I'll just pay 2000 at the airport next time I have to go out she said they probably wont even charge you so dont think it's such big deal ... but hey TIT right who knows what will happen tomorrow

Immigration act of 1979. For anybody that thinks reporting is something that was just made up by some official in goverment.
Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with thefollowing.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing ,concerning his place of stay , as soon aspossible upon expiration of ninety days.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Normal fine is 2000 baht according to immigration policy.

I suspect that if immigration put the normal slip of paper in his passport it has a date telling him when his next report is.

If they were going to fine him they would of done it when he did his extension.

Last time I was at Suan Plu - about 2 montha ago there was a sign up saying the fine for late reporting not exceeding 5000 Baht. By the way, I was about a week late and not a word was said

Last time I was at Suan Plu - about 2 montha ago there was a sign up saying the fine for late reporting not exceeding 5000 Baht. By the way, I was about a week late and not a word was said

I believe most offices do show a "maximum" fine of 5000 Baht, CM does also. As for being late, you have a +/- 7 day window to report.

I have a friend who's last arrival was in September 1999. He has an marriage Visa and till now he never reported his 90 day's, and not any immigration officer, till recently made any remark about it. Last month when he did go for his annual extension at Suan Phlu they put a stamp in his passport that he have to report every 90 day's. Now he is worried that he will get seriuos problems because he never did any reporting.

The last 10 years my friend did not leave the country, but now he is planning a trip for a few day's to Singapore and hes afraid that when he use his re-entry visa he will have problem and have to pay an heavy fee because he did not report. He calculated that it could be more than 500 000 baht.

Does anyone have some advise to avoid this?

Thanks again in advance for the given advice

I understand that it is 90 days after arriving in the country, so if you leave and are away for a month it is 90 days from your arrival back in Thailand, as your addres is given on the landing card. Early in my first days in Thailand i did not know about the 90 day rule as it is not publicised to new entrants. However, I was going back to the Uk for a few days and I was pulled in at the airport. It just happened I was leaving the country on my 91st day.NO Problem

It just happened I was leaving the country on my 91st day.NO Problem

There is a seven day window. Therefore reporting the 90 day at 97 days is ok. However this is only relevant if you intend revisiting the local immigration for a further address notification after a further 90 days or getting a visa extension.

Anyone leaving Thailand can escape detection of failing to comply with the 90 day address notification rule as airports etc do not cross reference the address notification.

Fact, tried and tested.

The 90 days starts again on re entering the kingdom. It does NOT start again on obtaining a visa extension.

It just happened I was leaving the country on my 91st day.NO Problem

There is a seven day window. Therefore reporting the 90 day at 97 days is ok. However this is only relevant if you intend revisiting the local immigration for a further address notification after a further 90 days or getting a visa extension.

Anyone leaving Thailand can escape detection of failing to comply with the 90 day address notification rule as airports etc do not cross reference the address notification.

Fact, tried and tested.

The 90 days starts again on re entering the kingdom. It does NOT start again on obtaining a visa extension.

If you are doing 90 day reporting you are on extension of stay, not a visa extension. I think you meant to say "obtaining a new extension of stay".

If you are doing 90 day reporting you are on extension of stay, not a visa extension. I think you meant to say "obtaining a new extension of stay".

Also I believe the first extension of stay is counted as an address report but subsequent ones are not.

Also I believe the first extension of stay is counted as an address report but subsequent ones are not.

That is my understanding too.

I am quiet surprised about some of the posts here saying they never or rarely reported.

I have been here for 13 years now under working permit and always did the 90 day reporting. Sometimes I am late by up to a month and the officers make a very big fuzz about it. They put a special stamp in the passport every time I am late and the more such stamps I have the more complaints I get from the officers when I am late the next time.

In the beginning when they enforced the law long time ago; when I was late at Suan Plu I had to go to another building and was interrogated by a police officer (not immigration but police) as to why I was late before having to pay the fine and get the compulsory stamp of "this guy was late again".

I do not understand how other guys get away with being late or even never reporting so easy as they say in this forum.

That is my understanding too.

That is what it says on the immigration police website:

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

As stated if it goes tits up 2000 baht but DON'T go to Immigration and confess. If he has a change of heart and decides to report after his return, do it 90 days after re-entry, NO Problem, 90 day reports are not kept on computer YET!

unquote

i think they are now, cos when i did mine last summer in pattaya jomtien, they knew all about my reporting in bangkok and said i was resident in khorat so i had to report to khoirat next time (where they were very officious)

• 1 year later...

Probably answered already a hundred times, but can't find it, so if you have any further experience with this, let me know.:

Non Imm B Multiple re-entry visa holder. Do they have to do the reporting or not? As far as I understand the law:

Immigration act of 1979

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing ,concerning his place of stay , as soon aspossible upon expiration of ninety days.

THAT MEANS:

As A Non Imm B Multilple re-entry holder has to leave the country anyway after max. 90 days, he or she doe not have to report. Correct?

The topic came up because imm.officials in Phangnga INSIST that every foreigner needs it, even when you do a visa run every 90 days.

Thanks