Use Your Siam Thai Bank Atm Card In The Usa

Although they have told me I could do this, I won't take their word.

I only care about the USA, and only SIAM bank, and only if you've actually done it.

I will be taking a 3 month trip, and yes I know there are other ways to move/take money.

Thanks,

Jbeck

Siam Commercial? Siam City?

I have a kasikorn atm card and have used it overseas. I have also used a Siam City Bank atm card overseas as well. I had to make sure I got the one for overseas, but yes, it works.

Siam Commercial? Siam City?

I have a kasikorn atm card and have used it overseas. I have also used a Siam City Bank atm card overseas as well. I had to make sure I got the one for overseas, but yes, it works.

Only really care about MY bank, SIAM COMMERCIAL BANK savings account, the "purple" bank, not overseas, but in the USA.

thanks again.

Jbeck

I tested this once with my ATM card for SCB in the USA. It worked. However, when I had the card issued I specifically asked for a card that would work internationally. If I were you, I would visit your home branch and confirm that your card will work internationally, and if not, get another one.

I tested this once with my ATM card for SCB in the USA. It worked. However, when I had the card issued I specifically asked for a card that would work internationally. If I were you, I would visit your home branch and confirm that your card will work internationally, and if not, get another one.

sure, the issuing branch said it would work...but, from experience that means it may, or may not.

thanks

jbeck

you really appear to be very concerned about your purple colored scb savings atm card.... are you bringing your family over for the first time or something....? i did bring mine some years ago....

about three years ago, before leaving thailand for an extended overseas trip with six family members, i too tested all my six credit and atm cards in thailand and each worked perfectly....

at four seasons in hkg, scb card was honored and worked fine in hkg dollars, in taiwan, it worked fine there too....

so we arrived at sfo, our mother land usa, we went through immigration and then custom inspection.... everything was fine.

then we moved out luggage over to the next terminal to catch a domestic flight to salt lake city, utah....

at the domestic security check-in counter, i was told to empty every thing in my pocket including my wallet on a tray to be scanned....

as we were checking in at stein erikson lodge at dear valley.... the night manager came over to my table and asked if she could pls speak to me privately? she said that she was very sorry to disrupt my family quality time.... (yes, she was very polite....) and that there must be some serious misunderstanding.... that my platinum card was refused by my issuing bank....!

embarrassed, i quickly gave her the second plat card with mumbling apology.... a few minutes later, she came back and beckoned me aside.... i am terribly sorry, sir.... but this card was also referred to issuing bank....

are you sure, miss? there is a 100k usd credit limit on each of those and i just landed this afternoon....

i am terribly sorry sir, but do you have another good cc?

yes, of course i do.... miss, do you mind if i follow you this time, so i might perhaps shake your imprinting machine to its senses.... lol?

of course, sir, pls if you like, you may come along sir, but pls do not mutilate our only machine...

lo and behold.... unbelieving to my eyes, each remaining four cards were all referred to issuing banks as well.... i was in total shock, my knees were trembling and shaking and i became speechless for several moment.... everything around me at that time appeared to be getting darker and darker in color and the whole reception area seemingly became totally and absolutely silence ....

it seemed like century later.... a tap on my shoulder, followed by -- DADDY, PAN ARE RAI PAI? my thai better half asked--'daddy, what is going on?'

i told her in thai that all the six credit cards were no good.... she asked the night manager--did you run each one through twice already? yes, madam, i ran each one thru twice.... and i even called up the 24 hrs hot line of each bank....

my little wife asked the night manager--do you take cash? yes, madam, we take us dallar, british puound, swiss franc etc.... how much is the family suite for one week? according to your guaranteed reservation, it would be 1,500 usd per night, madam. my wife continued--how much is the ski lesson? the private ski lesson would cost 150 usd per person per day, madam.... which would work out to be 600 usd per day for your children.... but your husband already prepaid 5k usd thru his credit card at the time of our confirming your reservation two months ago....

early bones chilling morning the next day, the vice pres at the local bank informed us that we were not the first to have this sort of embarrassing moment in his international ski resort.... she said about 10% of the overseas tourists coming to ski have similar problems like ours....

their credit cards were run thru scanners which were set too high.... sometimes for some unknown reasons it just invalidated the magnetic strips.... as simple as that.... and other times the scanning did nothing to the strips....

figure that out jbeck.... and be forwarned alright?.... lol btw, you are not taking your family members snow skiing are you? lol

you seem to be a very cautious person, just keep your scb atm and other credit cards on your person ok? and another thing, try not to let the magnetic strip at the back of each card rubs against other magnetic strip either alright? to be on the safe side, take some cash in small denominations and some travelers' check with you.... if you like.

have a safe and wonderful journey.... and do remind your children not to accept candies or others from strangers....

Edited by nakachalet

Before you plan on using your Siam Commercial card in the US, you would do well to ask the bank and have them do whatever is needed to make it usable. I say that because for curiosity sake, I tried my Siam Commercial card the last trip to the US and it would NOT work. The ATM gave me the message to contact the issuing bank.

jbeck

you really appear to be very concerned about your purple colored scb savings atm card.... are you bringing your family over for the first time or something....? i did bring mine some years ago....

about three years ago, before leaving thailand for an extended overseas trip with six family members, i too tested all my six credit and atm cards in thailand and each worked perfectly....

at four seasons in hkg, scb card was honored and worked fine in hkg dollars, in taiwan, it worked fine there too....

so we arrived at sfo, our mother land usa, we went through immigration and then custom inspection.... everything was fine.

then we moved out luggage over to the next terminal to catch a domestic flight to salt lake city, utah....

at the domestic security check-in counter, i was told to empty every thing in my pocket including my wallet on a tray to be scanned....

as we were checking in at stein erikson lodge at dear valley.... the night manager came over to my table and asked if she could pls speak to me privately? she said that she was very sorry to disrupt my family quality time.... (yes, she was very polite....) and that there must be some serious misunderstanding.... that my platinum card was refused by my issuing bank....!

embarrassed, i quickly gave her the second plat card with mumbling apology.... a few minutes later, she came back and beckoned me aside.... i am terribly sorry, sir.... but this card was also referred to issuing bank....

are you sure, miss? there is a 100k usd credit limit on each of those and i just landed this afternoon....

i am terribly sorry sir, but do you have another good cc?

yes, of course i do.... miss, do you mind if i follow with you this time...?

of course, sir, pls if you like, you may come along sir....

lo and behold.... unbelieving to my eyes, each remaining four cards were all referred to issuing banks as well.... i was in total shock, my knees were trembling and shaking and i became speechless for several moment.... everything surrounding me at that time appeared to be totally and absolutely silence....

it seemed like century later.... a tap on my shoulder, followed by -- DADDY, PAN ARE RAI PAI? my thai better half asked--'dad, what is going on?'

i told her in thai that all the six credit cards were no good.... she asked the night manager--did you run each one through twice already? yes, madam, i ran each one thru twice.... and i even called up the 24 hrs hot line of each bank....

my little wife asked the night manager--do you take cash? yes, madam, we take us dallar, british puound, swiss franc etc.... how much is the family suite for one week? according to your guaranteed reservation, it would be 1,500 usd per night, madam. my wife continued--how much is the ski lesson? the private ski lesson would cost 150 usd per person per day, madam.... which would work out to be 600 usd per day for your children.... but your husband already prepaid 5k usd thru his credit card at the time of our confirming your reservation two months ago....

early bones chilling morning the next day, the vice pres at the local bank informed us that we were not the first to have this sort of embarrassing moment in his international ski resort.... she said about 10% of the overseas tourists coming to ski have similar problems like ours....

their credit cards were run thru scanner which were set too high.... sometimes for some unknown reasons it just invalidated the magnetic strips.... as simple as that.... and other times the scanning did nothing to the strips....

figure that out jbeck.... and be forwarned alright?.... lol btw, you are not taking your family members snow skiing are you? lol

you seem to be a very cautious person, just keep your scb atm and other credit cards on your person ok? and another thing, try not to let the magnetic strip at the back of each card rubs against other magnetic strip either alright? to be on the safe side, take some cash in small denominations and some travelers' check with you.... if you like.

have a safe and wonderful journey....

Did your card work at any ATM machines in the USA?

You posting your assumptions about my travel purpose, the type of person I am, and my level of concern - it seems odd, and unnecessary.

Sorry, I guess I didn't say this in the OP - I only need to use my ATM cards at ATMs, IN the USA, and will add that I have no thai credit cards.

Post a simple question, get a simple answer, it doesn't quite work out.

I don't want to figure out anything about 'your' experience as you suggest, but only want to know:

Has anyone USED a Thai issued SCB ATM card at an ATM machine in the USA and had success? or failure?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

jbeck

Before you plan on using your Siam Commercial card in the US, you would do well to ask the bank and have them do whatever is needed to make it usable. I say that because for curiosity sake, I tried my Siam Commercial card the last trip to the US and it would NOT work. The ATM gave me the message to contact the issuing bank.

Finally a helpful post that's relevant! thank you.

• 4 months later...