Report:99% Of “american Breakfast” Served In Phuket

churchill

Wuffy, no need to be sorry. i know my pommes frites.

that is the "fun" thread, don't forget. the OT is an satire. and so every reply shouldn't taken to serious.

if someone starts with "As California sets most trends for the rest of the world," and "bread that is more like muffins than bread" isn't that comedy? be sure to wear some flowers in your hair and add some ridicoulos more.

and in the freedom fries case much more people than only the ones from France were amused. amazing america, there are no limits.

would you consider ketchup and 'french' fries as vegetable? think US, before you answer.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, Indeed.

I should have included the little smiley that are available :)

I was indeed writting most of that with a smirk on my face, I know thisw whole deal is a nice piece of satire.

Still injecting a little fact in here and there helps at times.

Hmmm 'French' Fries and ketchup vegetables? I thought they were a staple food group of their own merit.

One of the best things I ever did was to teach my wife how to cook a good breakfast......She has it nailed....Eggs anyway thay I ask her so poached or soft scrambeld or over easy...Somtimes the perfect pancake with pure mable syrup from Canada...you can get it at Villa and last but not least she makes hash browns, Grinds the beans for coffee and makes sure the OJ is ice cold.......Friends love to come to my place for the super bowl.....

Oh that margarine is lovely! How can 99% of Thailand thing foreigners eat axel grease on toast for breakfast? What happened to cornflakes? Do americans really eat "fried ham" for breakfast?

Fried ham? Sometimes.

Breakfast cereal. Sure thing. Probably the most common at home American breakfast.

"Americans consume about 10 pounds, or 160 bowls of cereal, per person each year."

Bruce, Scott and Crawford, Bill. Cerealizing America: The Unsweetened Story of American Breakfast Cereal. Faber and Faber, 1995 as cited on Amazing Cereal Statistics.

cereals as in rice soup, the common asian breakfast. in thailand know as khao tom or jok. or cereals like oats in porridge, the traditional Scottish breakfast meal. or cereals as in Mini Swirlz Peanut Butter Blast Cereal, Honey Bunches of Oats with Chocolate Clusters, Kellogs Cinnamon Donut Cereal, Chocolatey Peanut Butter Crunch and alike?

Hmmm 'French' Fries and ketchup vegetables? I thought they were a staple food group of their own merit.

According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture and a federal judge, batter-coated french fries are considered a fresh vegetable.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2004-06-15-fries_x.htm

ketchup isn't a vegetable but it was close to become one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable

rice, wheat, rye and Cap'n Crunch's Oops! Choco Donuts are cereals.

One of the best things I ever did was to teach my wife how to cook a good breakfast....

you are a lucky man.

life don't have to be so complicated at all and sometimes the small and simple things are the best achievements.

Great Breakfasts at AJ's Bar and Bistro right on Rawai Beach (Nai Harn End) English,Canadian & American, Pancakes French Toast good Bacon and Mr Moos Pork Sausages (English Butcher) superb Freshly Ground Coffee no Freshly squeezed Orange Juice but great Fresh Fruit shakes. I take along my own Black Pudding from Villas as its an aquired taste.

The settting is amazing looking out over the sea to Racha Yai & Noi and very reasonable price (Try the Fish and Chips)

Hello AJ, how's the bar going?

Oberkomando; McFarang is a regular customer morning and evening when not away in Angola looking for oil. If you would like to direct a questions to me my new handle is 69690jay. Best not get into it as i may be banned from TV for promoting my place.

McFarang: Mr Moo is american but his sausage is getting good reveiws, Aussi Bar Bangala rd now use his bangers, as well as many other restaurants..

PS thanks for the plug :) Bombay stocked up for your return :-)

In regards to TV forum chat I often find too much time wasted with comments far from the topic and quite often trollish.

Enjoy your breakfasts, i enjoy somtam mai sai poo pla, phet phet arroy mak, mai phet mai arroy.

69690jay

post-69690-1251913336_thumb.jpg

What is an American Breakfast ? I think most know what an English Breakfast is -

It's an English breakfast with pancakes & honey or jam!12_12_19.gif12_4_52.gifbut without fried bread & black pudding!

Edited by peecee

What is an American Breakfast ? I think most know what an English Breakfast is -
Great Breakfasts at AJ's Bar and Bistro right on Rawai Beach (Nai Harn End) English,Canadian & American, Pancakes French Toast good Bacon and Mr Moos Pork Sausages (English Butcher) superb Freshly Ground Coffee no Freshly squeezed Orange Juice but great Fresh Fruit shakes. I take along my own Black Pudding from Villas as its an aquired taste.

The settting is amazing looking out over the sea to Racha Yai & Noi and very reasonable price (Try the Fish and Chips)

Hello AJ, how's the bar going?

Oberkomando; McFarang is a regular customer morning and evening when not away in Angola looking for oil. If you would like to direct a questions to me my new handle is 69690jay. Best not get into it as i may be banned from TV for promoting my place.

McFarang: Mr Moo is american but his sausage is getting good reveiws, Aussi Bar Bangala rd now use his bangers, as well as many other restaurants..

PS thanks for the plug :) Bombay stocked up for your return :-)

In regards to TV forum chat I often find too much time wasted with comments far from the topic and quite often trollish.

Enjoy your breakfasts, i enjoy somtam mai sai poo pla, phet phet arroy mak, mai phet mai arroy.

69690jay

My first post shows a Canadian Breakfast ( french toast, bacon scram eggs with mango, pineapple and watermelon on the side...;0 must be a canuckcomthai breakfast :D

Had this customer come in one morning just off the plane from France ordered Canadian Breakfast with frenchtoast, (you have a choice of frenchtoast or pancakes) almost pushed the plate off the table in disgust: Dis is not Frrench breakfast! let me speak to the manager, obliging I came forward, can i help you? What is dis...? Well, frenchtoast; eggs with milk, sugar and a dash of cinnamon topped with whipped cream and maple syrup. NO dis is not frrench breakfast where is the baguette and croissant chocolate?

She liked the coffee and had another; fresh ground Thai coffee. :D I comp the breakfast and she never broke a smile. Bloody french hard to please....... just joking.

Dennys American breakfast and a lovely Frrench Breakfast

post-69690-1251916537_thumb.jpg

post-69690-1251917498_thumb.jpg

Edited by 69690jay

would you consider ketchup and 'french' fries as vegetable? think US, before you answer.

Heh, it wasn't ketchup and fries...it was ketchup...so ketchup and fries (or other veggie) could be considered TWO servings of veggies for school lunches or some such. After 20 years, I forget the political stupidity, but I think that was the gist of it.

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!
And very healthy too :D

That's what I was thinking - A heart attack special.

I lived in Texas for 6 months, and although I never became a fan of grits, I got to like biscuits and gravy quite a lot. Before living in Southern USA, the whole Idea of buscuits and gravy was disgusting to me.

Someone else mentioned the "American fried rice" that's offered in Thai restaurants. <deleted> is that? I've never see such an unappealing combination of food in all my life. After many years living here, I haven't been able to order this and don't imagine I ever will.

Yeah, okay, this thread is parody or whatever.

All the same, "American fried rice" as it's presented anywhere I've been abroad is dreadful slop, swine fodder. I haven't ever tried it again as it looks and stinks the same everywhere. As with most things "American," it's either wrongly perceived or misrepresented. Precious few Mexican food restaurants in Thailand do justice to Mexican food either.

Being from Boston, I'd never seen or scented grits but after relocating to the South of the USA I got to try the stuff and like it. Grits is a simple and unnutritious feed that we in Boston historically associate with the southern USA "white trash" socioeconomic grouping but it can be made tasty as has been pointed out.

At the 2003 International Scout Jamborie held in Thailand everyone hated the food which was grossly misrepresented as being "American food." Yes, for instance, there were frozen meats but the meat was stored in ordinary unrefrigerated boxes at each campsite and not served until the third day as scheduled. I wouldn't and didn't go near that poison. The organizers stood nuttily by their assertions it was "American food" despite my protestations that nothing on the menu remotely resembled any food I'd had or known of in my own country.

They might've tried instant grits instead, but then they'd have needed hot water. :)

The American bashing bothered me until we were reminded that this is based on parody. Eat haggis.

Interestingly enough I had a breakfast of:

Haggis Quiche

& croissant with ligonberry compote,

fresh squeezed OJ and tea.

in the Marais section of Paris.

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!
And very healthy too :D

That's what I was thinking - A heart attack special.

I lived in Texas for 6 months, and although I never became a fan of grits, I got to like biscuits and gravy quite a lot. Before living in Southern USA, the whole Idea of buscuits and gravy was disgusting to me.

Someone else mentioned the "American fried rice" that's offered in Thai restaurants. <deleted> is that? I've never see such an unappealing combination of food in all my life. After many years living here, I haven't been able to order this and don't imagine I ever will.

Yeah, okay, this thread is parody or whatever.

All the same, "American fried rice" as it's presented anywhere I've been abroad is dreadful slop, swine fodder. I haven't ever tried it again as it looks and stinks the same everywhere. As with most things "American," it's either wrongly perceived or misrepresented. Precious few Mexican food restaurants in Thailand do justice to Mexican food either.

Being from Boston, I'd never seen or scented grits but after relocating to the South of the USA I got to try the stuff and like it. Grits is a simple and unnutritious feed that we in Boston historically associate with the southern USA "white trash" socioeconomic grouping but it can be made tasty as has been pointed out.

At the 2003 International Scout Jamborie held in Thailand everyone hated the food which was grossly misrepresented as being "American food." Yes, for instance, there were frozen meats but the meat was stored in ordinary unrefrigerated boxes at each campsite and not served until the third day as scheduled. I wouldn't and didn't go near that poison. The organizers stood nuttily by their assertions it was "American food" despite my protestations that nothing on the menu remotely resembled any food I'd had or known of in my own country.

They might've tried instant grits instead, but then they'd have needed hot water. :D

No self-respecting person serves INSTANT Grits... i just isn't done.

Like wearing white gloves and shoes after Labor Day. :)

Boston Baked Beans are rarely if ever served for breakfast in Beantown.

I have made a breakfast entree of;

20 minute cooked grits, mixed with

diced smoked/barbequed porkbutt bits,

candied minced onions,

stuffed in a red pepper and baked.

Edited by animatic

No-one's mentioned bubble 'n' squeak yet! Mashed potato mixed with cabbage (or other green veg.), then fried on both sides until crisp. Luvverly! And you get your veggies!

There's also lots of different types of bacon. You get your streaky bacon that the Americans like fried to a crisp and is mostly fat (though I quite like it, and I'm a Brit). Then you get your Canadian bacon which has no fat at all (and no taste). Then there's proper English "full-back" bacon, with the streaky at one side and the meaty at the other, but with plenty of fat for the taste. Cumberland or Lincolnshire sausages are also a must.

And to reply to a previous poster - we do not like our baked beans cold - they need to be warmed (but not boiled) in a pan before serving.

Although it's now 3:45 in the afternoon, I'm just off to brekkie!

sunnyside up eggs...the name says it all....what was the reason for frying the SUNNY side? fear or salmonellas or infections? and American Pancakes urrrrgs, a lot of flour if possible out of an instant package .....another highlight of the american kitchen, where it is not important to eat good food but to be full after a meal.

I have a good farmers breakfast in my wifes shop in Nai Harn, hash browns, bacon, eggS, onions and tomato if you like (and a goooood GERMAN sausage too), for....here it comes under 100.-Baht.....we all know the most expats are kiniaus, not while sitting on a bar chatting with the ladies but with their food :):D :D

btw......until now I dont have some beachfront land on Phuket :D

Usually, I've found that the real difference between American and English breakfasts is the addition of beans to the latter, which it seems that Brits prefer cold from the can. Must be some WWII comfort food thing.

Don't forget the blood pudding. Yuck!

Black pudding is usually just for the northerners from the UK. The reason the beans are cold is because they are prepared by Thai's. The Idea is to put the 'Hot' baked beans (preferably heinz) on top of a piece of toast. The marmite on toast is just a very nice way to round out the meal. I notice no-one mentioned Kippers and deviled Kidneys either (just to give athe yanks another hook to bite on ) :)

sunnyside up eggs...the name says it all....what was the reason for frying the SUNNY side? fear or salmonellas or infections? and American Pancakes urrrrgs, a lot of flour if possible out of an instant package .....another highlight of the american kitchen, where it is not important to eat good food but to be full after a meal.

I have a good farmers breakfast in my wifes shop in Nai Harn, hash browns, bacon, eggS, onions and tomato if you like (and a goooood GERMAN sausage too), for....here it comes under 100.-Baht.....we all know the most expats are kiniaus, not while sitting on a bar chatting with the ladies but with their food :D:D:D

btw......until now I dont have some beachfront land on Phuket :D

Who likes GERMAN food? Especially fatty and greasy sausage? Ask the French Resistance. (Mon dieu!) (Mine Got!)

We have a saying in the US that the two things no one in the country wants to see made are laws and sausages! :) (OMG!)

Edited by Publicus

For me, the best American food I have found (and the best Mexican) can be found at Que Pasa http://www.quepasa-th.com/Que_Pasa/Que_Pasa.html

They even have awesome Pizza.

They have hard to find things such as Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, and good Root Beer.

The owner takes his food seriously, and it is really the best I have had and at decent prices.

A lot of times I don't go to "American" restaraunts because the food is so bad, it is depressing.... but at Que Pasa, it really is the "real deal."

Several years ago during a trip to Samui we happened upon a Mexican restaurant on a side soi at Chaweeng Beach which had the real deal, genuine and scrumptous stuff. The servers either didn't understand our repeated requests to meet the chef or were ignoring us as we were so impressed by the food we wanted to see if the chef might be Mexcian.

Haven't made it to Samui for several years now so don't know if the place is still there...hope it is cause it's the best and most real Mexican I've had in LOS.

The Western food at Chaweeng to include things "American" was excellent too. Better than anything I'd had in Bangkok for sure.

Edited by Publicus

:D:D

Beware the red coloured dog turds parading as breakfast sausages!

And don't even get me started on the lack of a decent Croissant. Sacrebleu! :D

We have a real french boulangier on Samui.

Maybe you should emegrate?

Or maybe he will export?

For the time being export would be excellent as such superb cusine would be most welcome :) here in the culturally barren PRChina. I'll send my address :D .

(My contract at the uni in PRChina is up at the end of January and I must state my intention by the end of October. Presently I'm leaning toward renewing but the enticements towards returning to LOS remain strong, especially after my most recent return visit last month when I got to enjoy genuine New Orleans jazz thanks.)

No "American" food real or otherwise in the People's Paradise unless we want to consider McFood which for my money too has a super breakfast! No Mexicans here either, whether people or food. There's only lotsa the People's food :D , People's buildings :D and a population of sheeple :D .

Bangkok is an international food city and LOS has another universe of cusine on offer in compason and contrast to many other of the Asian metropolises :P .

Edited by Publicus

Even back in the liberal bastions of the north eastern seaboard USA,

I don't remember anyone eating Mexicans,

not even for Sunday brunches with a good German breakfast beer!

Corn dogs, hush puppies and even spotted dick, are not unknown.

Fresh roast leg of insurance salesman sometimes of course.

With mint jelly, sweet tubers and headcheese of course. :)

Edited by animatic

I thought it was satire as well being more directed at the land ownership issue although sometimes with anything from USA you're not always certain. It's one of the things I quite like about them. Actually I'd never heard of an American breakfast before I came to Thailand (my first and only SE Asian destination so far) but then I suppose it's what I would expect since there will be a lot of americans here. Still it's an interesting subject none the less.

I doubt that there is such a thing as a standard American breakfast anymore than there is a English one. In the UK there is often heated discussion about cornish pasties and it's ingredients with people from or originating from Cornwall insisting that they know the exact ingredients. I'm sure if a man didn't want swede or carrot or whatever in his pasty, he wouldn't have it. As far as I know in the days of the tin mines there wasn't a Pasty Police Force to keep an eye on things.

On a much more serious but connected issue I think there should be a crackdown and a clampdown on the teaching of English in Thailand which is NOT English but in fact American. If this isn't gross and serious fraud then i don't know what is.

Well I'm off to have a traditional English breakfast of ................... corn flakes....croissants ..........not sure I can remember now.

As noted above.

American breakfast; as a short order cook would recognize it 24/7

2 Eggs as you like typically sunny side up, over easy, poached

Long strips of crisped bacon, or small sausages

Toast white or wheat with jelly and butter on side

Potatoes grill fried in grease, hence the name "greasy spoon dinner"

Often with onions and paprika

Orange juice

coffee or tea with a refill.

You can add for extra:

a stack of flapjacks AKA pancakes with maple syrup,

or waffles

and a bowl of cereal

Cranberry or pineapple juice instead of orange

In the deeper south Grits might replace potatoes.

In north Canadian bacon might replace bacon.

Edited by animatic

• 1 month later...
What's wrong with Starbucks?

well, that it is NOT really a place people go for to have a good coffee or nice breakfast or

well made slice of Cake - nope - the folks which go there want to be seen and maybe flash their

latest gizmo iPhone or Macbook....and to mention later Ï just had a "Frappuwhat?" at Star_ucks!

Ah'well.... those who need it... and actually manage to get a kick out of... probably need this kind

of "satizfaction" for their selfrealization! :)

This is obviously a joke. Can't understand how some posters can take this serious!!

Let's face it, it takes many years of practice to cook fine American breakfast cruisine (greasy bacon, eggs and fried potatoes)! The priority is quantity, not necessarily quality...

American Breakfast:

Generally includes most or all of the following: two eggs (fried or poached), sliced bacon or sausages, sliced bread or toast with jam/jelly/butter, pan cakes with syrup, cornflakes or other cereal, coffee/tea, orange/grapefruit juice. Also called American style breakfast. See also continental breakfast and English breakfast.

(from the BusinessDirectory)

I have a small hope we can agree on this. Should we find a definition om which many members can agree, maybe ThaiVisa can sell a logo to restaurants that stick to the minimal conditions of a decent breakfast. I agree with the posters here who do not find much quality in farang breakfasts in Thailand. In Bang Saen I have found a small place that serves many different types of breakfast (American, English, Danish, French, Belgian, German etc. They have very good bread, which is already exceptional, and real espresso coffee.

Nuan's place. It is at the seaside.

Breakfast is the thing I miss most in Thailand.