Report:99% Of “american Breakfast” Served In Phuket

churchill

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are certainly many things that are considered breakfast food in the states, but the standard base would probably go something like this:

eggs

bacon

sausage

toast w/ butter & jam

coffee

orange juice

Variations would include additions or substitutions:

omelet

pancakes

French toast

ham

hash browns

fried potatoes

biscuits and gravy

chicken-fried steak

And let's not forget grits for our southern brothers.

Usually, I've found that the real difference between American and English breakfasts is the addition of beans to the latter, which it seems that Brits prefer cold from the can. Must be some WWII comfort food thing.

I have never had hot dogs for breakfast in my life until I hit the shores of Thailand--nor beans for that matter.

The Islander just off bangla road.. I had the best brekkie ever there yesterday. Amazing sausage, 3 bits of proper bacon, 2 eggs potatoes beans and 2 toast with proper coffee for 200 baht.. very very good!!!!! and served hot. Also have english newspapers :)

"Ever" in your life mate? Mmm......

Usually, I've found that the real difference between American and English breakfasts is the addition of beans to the latter, which it seems that Brits prefer cold from the can. Must be some WWII comfort food thing.

Don't forget the blood pudding. Yuck!

Using the standardized template of items including eggs that don’t taste like fish sauce, ham that’s more than 1mm thick, potatoes of some kind

In the course of the years I probably consumed a few times my own weight of American breakfasts, but was never served one that contained something made of potatoes.

Main things are that the coffee comes quickly, and that the white part of the fried eggs is indeed white, and not transparant.

Home fries... HUH,

you must be from the south where they serve Grits instead.

American breakfast is the short order cooks speciality.

1-2 Eggs sunny or over easy,

crisp bacon of canadian bacon,

often a sausage of some crisper darker type, but never hotdogs,

home fried potatoes

orange juice, fresh squeezed of possible

perked coffee with one refill

and white or wheat toast with butter and jelly on the side.

Absolutely typical.

Lots of well-informed and varied answers. There is no such thing as a universally standard national morning meal in the USA. To be pedantic, "America" stretches well past Mexico to Tierra del Fuego. For Canadian bacon, go to Canada. Baked beans, dinner in Boston. Hot dog, never at breakfast. Brown sticky rice and raisins, Chiang Mai.

I was raised around Chicago on DIY cold cereal. My San Antonio wife was raised on scrambled eggs, crisp bacon or pork sausage patties, fresh OJ, coffee, white bread and jelly. Her parents lived to their late 80's.

So and what is a real American Breakfast then? What does it contains ? In my place I serve what I call an continental breakfast containing fried or scrambled eggs,real bacon,sausages,toast

butter,marmelade,and fresh coffee some cheese if avaiable and orange juice.

Would that satisfy you ?

hear it is Fred, served it this way for 35 years in Marin county.

Two eggs cooked in canaola oil, little butter, eggs up over easy or srambled ,four slice of real bacon cooked on criddle,use a bacon press.

Hash brown potatoes, cooked in butter/canola oil till brown and crispy around edges,on a griddle.

Fresh sqeezed orange juice.

Whole wheat toast, with butter/jam.

Real coffee. One free refill.

Thank you come again. 6.50 please.

The Islander just off bangla road.. I had the best brekkie ever there yesterday. Amazing sausage, 3 bits of proper bacon, 2 eggs potatoes beans and 2 toast with proper coffee for 200 baht.. very very good!!!!! and served hot. Also have english newspapers :)

"Ever" in your life mate? Mmm......

Best one ive had in phuket :D

The best one ever i make myself hehehehe

Only four restaurants serving sausage that isn't a short CP hot dog with one end cut to resemble a meaty flower

Hmmmm ... I would seriously dispute that. I know plenty of places that serve proper sausages for breakfast.

Oh dear, bit sleepy this morning? :)

Forget the American breakfast , there is only one real breakfast and that is the Full English Breakfast :

Bacon, Eggs, sausages, baked beans, tomato, fried bread , black pudding , mushrooms, with hot toasted marmite soldiers and a godd cuppa.

Scotish Breakfast : Delete all of the above , add Poridge :D

Irish Breakfast : Bolied Spuds :D

Welsh Breakfast : one medium good looking sheep :):D

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!

"...aints got grits"! Hahaa, you obviously don't go too far from Florida do you...within the rest of the States that is? Biscuits and gravy too! Nice! Two of my favorite down south meals but not necessarily the standard breakfast of "America".

Other than the beans, that sounds like the right recipe for an "American Breakfast" known as "Bacon and Eggs" in the States.

-2 eggs

-bacon/sausage (never ever a hotdog, even is it looks like a flower, sort of)

-toast

-potatoes (homefries or hashbrowns)

-coffee

So and what is a real American Breakfast then? What does it contains ? In my place I serve what I call an continental breakfast containing fried or scrambled eggs,real bacon,sausages,toast

butter,marmelade,and fresh coffee some cheese if avaiable and orange juice.

Would that satisfy you ?

No.

In addition to what you serve, need to add hash browns and corn flakes with milk along with a stack of pancakes with butter and maple syrup to make a proper American breakfast.

P.S. skip the marmalade and serve strawberry or blackberry jam.

Anyway, as I understood it, this isn't a continental breakfast anyway. When i've stayed at hotels "continental breakfast" has referred to croissants, cereals, pastries, fruit etc. Not eggs, bacon, and sausages.

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!

"...aints got grits"! Hahaa, you obviously don't go too far from Florida do you...within the rest of the States that is? Biscuits and gravy too! Nice! Two of my favorite down south meals but not necessarily the standard breakfast of "America".

Forgive my ignorance (I'm British), but could you explain to me what biscuits are. The word biscuits in the UK refers to what Americans would call Cookies. Also, what are grits?

Thanks

An American biscuit is a bit like a plain British scone, but, not sweet.

Grits is dried maize soaked in water until soft, then boiled.

Thanks. I think i'd like to dry both although the grit doesn't sound especially appealing. I can't wait until I go to the States next year. I've been once (back in '97) and found that the food is infinitely better than here in the UK!

Forgive my ignorance (I'm British), but could you explain to me what biscuits are. The word biscuits in the UK refers to what Americans would call Cookies. Also, what are grits?

Thanks

Southern Biscuits are much like scones, not sweet, buttery, melt in you mouth excellence. Grits are the consistency of "cream of wheat" (do you have that?) but are nothing like it. You just eat them with a spoon like porridge but with only salt and a little butter on top. They seem a little weird at first but they are quite good too