Are You Happy In Thailand

Maigo6

.....................................As for eating off the street, I don't touch the stuff in Thailand because of the smell I can't stand and all the grease. I know plenty of Thais who will not eat off the street too and because of the filthy dirty environment with dogs, heaps of trash, dirty dishes and bad air quality all about. I knew quite a few farangs who ate off the street and got seriously sick. Probably the only thing I will eat off the street is the fruit here. Too bad you can't hardly find the fruit vendors in the morning and that's when I really like to eat fruit.

Cambodian street food is altogether a different matter. I always ate off the street in Siem Reap and it was really nice. It costs a dollar for a nice plate, no dogs, no trash, and a cool scenery with little traffic. It beats the hel_l out of Thailand street food IMO and the other expats I was with agreed. As for Sihanoukville, WOW, we're talking about fresh grilled seafood marinated in lime juice and pepper while sitting by the ocean at sunset. Throw in a nice salad (with not so sweet salad dressing like you always get in Thailand) along with a true baked potato with sour cream all for about four bucks and I say, 'heaven on earth.' So you have a few beggars now and then, so what. Oh and the fish n Chips were great there too! Yeah, real western style fish n chips even with tarter sauce or malt vinegar. Nothing in Thailand (street wise) could even remotely compare! And the really nice part about is the fact that you can get to know the Khmer while eating there because most of the owners and vendors speak enough English to have decent conversations. There's no rush and they actually treat you like a person instead of part of the crowd as is the case in Thailand.

Eating at street restaurants everywhere from Mae Hong Song to Had Yai since 20+years. Not once had any problem. Countless places like your Sihanoukville/fresh grilled seafood/sunset experience in Thailand. Can't understand your monochrome statement about one of the best food in the world.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy where ever I CHOOSE to be. When I choose to be in Thailand I'm very happy. When I'm in Canada I'm happy. Why wouldn't I be? Why would someone stay somewhere that they weren't happy? It's only when I have to deal with hypocritical idiots that I'm not happy. Fortunately, that only happens when I deal with police and customs officials.

Spot on. Ian! I think that this is the right attitude. Not everything is perfect and so wonderful here and not all is good in California (my 2nd home either).

We like both places very much and always miss the place where we don't stay. You need to be happy at heart and it is important that you can identify

yourself and your life style with the place you have chosen to stay. We have a 2 year old son and I am not sure how things will be when he is ready to

go to school. Looking at the prices these days for international schooling here in Bangkok, I am better off to sent him back to Cali to study there.

I am happy here too but can be equally happy in other places as well.

Hmm...am I happy in thailand?

Well I like the foods, but other than that NO.

If I have to live all year round in thailand---I will go NUTzzzz

So a few months in a year is just right for me.

coz at the moment I'm in the better environment which give me more satisfactions...."physically, emotionally, socially, and financially"....in the WEST.