Chiropractor In Samui?

Sounds like the advice is more along the lines of massage than bone adjusters.

Personally, and I am not alone on this, I think chiropractors are quacks whose "craft" is not based on any science or medicine. It's akin to astrology; buy into it if it makes you feel better, but it's still just the placebo effect.

Wiki has some fascinating reading on the subject:

...Chiropractic was founded in the 1890s by Daniel David (D.D.) Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. Palmer, a magnetic healer, hypothesized that manual manipulation of the spine could cure disease. ...Early chiropractors believed that all disease was caused by interruptions in the flow of innate intelligence, a vital nervous energy or life force that represented God's presence in man; chiropractic leaders often invoked religious imagery and moral traditions. D.D. and B.J. both seriously considered declaring chiropractic a religion, which might have provided legal protection under the U.S. constitution, but decided against it partly to avoid confusion with Christian Science.

Straight chiropractors adhere to the philosophical principles set forth by D.D. and B.J. Palmer, and retain metaphysical definitions and vitalistic qualities....Mixer chiropractors "mix" diagnostic and treatment approaches from osteopathic, medical, and chiropractic viewpoints....Mixers tend to be open to mainstream medicine and are the majority group.

I wonder if chiropractics is big with Mormons. Sounds like something up their alley.

Don't knock it till you've tried it Mark. I cannot vouch for its curative effects but it does feel darn good. And since 3 out 4 posts were regarding chiropractors and only one about a massage guy, not sure how you came to this conclusion

But, never mind, I am sure if the OP had wanted to hear that some consider it quackery he would have asked for general opinions on chiropractors rather than specific advice on where to find one :)

• Like 1

Yes, I migrated slightly off topic, I am a sinner for sure.

I guess as "Dr. John" would say: "I been in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time."

By the way, I don't say you shouldn't go to a bone adjuster, just that it's a fake science and you could just as well save money and find a good masseuse. People wear copper bracelets for their "curative" powers, but I'd say that's also, as Dostoevsky once wrote: He is happiest who knows best how to pull the wool over his own eyes.

So what I was addressing in "where to find a bone adjuster," was don't bother; find a good masseuse who comes recommended highly (placebo effect kicking in) and go that route. Unless of course the chiropractor is giving out free copper bracelets too....

• 2 months later...

Well Mark just goes to prove the old and well known quote... Opinions are like a....... Everyone has one! Does not mean they are worthy of being brought out in the open amongst the informed crowds! Bone adjusters? Hmmm Sounds like someone that has a beef to grind! :) Quoting Wiki for anything is worthy of only the ones that write the materials. Guess Mark does not know his medical history and remembers back in the 60's his "quack" medical doctors were still doing labotomies. Sure seems like something that was actually accepted and performed in the 1960's should be more relevant that what was ORIGINALLY thought and believed back in the 1890's!

Personally, and I am not alone on this, I think chiropractors are quacks whose "craft" is not based on any science or medicine. It's akin to astrology; buy into it if it makes you feel better, but it's still just the placebo effect.

Wiki has some fascinating reading on the subject:

...Chiropractic was founded in the 1890s by Daniel David (D.D.) Palmer in Davenport, Iowa. Palmer, a magnetic healer, hypothesized that manual manipulation of the spine could cure disease. ...Early chiropractors believed that all disease was caused by interruptions in the flow of innate intelligence, a vital nervous energy or life force that represented God's presence in man; chiropractic leaders often invoked religious imagery and moral traditions. D.D. and B.J. both seriously considered declaring chiropractic a religion, which might have provided legal protection under the U.S. constitution, but decided against it partly to avoid confusion with Christian Science.

Straight chiropractors adhere to the philosophical principles set forth by D.D. and B.J. Palmer, and retain metaphysical definitions and vitalistic qualities....Mixer chiropractors "mix" diagnostic and treatment approaches from osteopathic, medical, and chiropractic viewpoints....Mixers tend to be open to mainstream medicine and are the majority group.

I wonder if chiropractics is big with Mormons. Sounds like something up their alley.

Yes, I migrated slightly off topic, I am a sinner for sure.

I guess as "Dr. John" would say: "I been in the right place, but it must have been the wrong time."

By the way, I don't say you shouldn't go to a bone adjuster, just that it's a fake science and you could just as well save money and find a good masseuse. People wear copper bracelets for their "curative" powers, but I'd say that's also, as Dostoevsky once wrote: He is happiest who knows best how to pull the wool over his own eyes.

So what I was addressing in "where to find a bone adjuster," was don't bother; find a good masseuse who comes recommended highly (placebo effect kicking in) and go that route. Unless of course the chiropractor is giving out free copper bracelets too....

i agree with you chiropractors are con man as far as im concerned..i went to one 10 times in the last few weeks ..i have 2 discs in my neck hitting a nerve going down to my right chest ..i got an mri done and he said he could fix it ..but it could take a long time .10 minutes sessions <deleted> 45 euro...used this thing pressed against me in a few places and made a clicking sound..im lying flat on the bench ..he seemed more interested in bending my legs up and down ..then says turn my head left then right and again this clicker thing in a few spots on my back and he says sit up hes finished ..no excuse me if im wrong but how will this get 2 discs to settle back in........imheading to a proper physio therapist on friday ..hopefully he will be better

If your bones for some reason is misplaced (and i don't mean fractured) there are different ways to put them back in the right place.

It is also depending on what the cause is for the dislocation of the bones.

I am sure naprapaths and chiropractors do a lot more than this but here are just a few examples:

The naprapath:

Massages the muscles around the missplaced bones to ease the tense and soften up the muscle that pulls or pushes the bone in the wrong direction. You could for instance have a too strong muscle on one side of the body and that can draw the bone in the wrong direction. Some of them also manipulates the bones but not all of them.

Some pain actually goes away only by stretching the right muscle to correct the imbalance between the muscles that makes your neck stiff or feel pain.

The chiropractor:

Manipulates the bones with different teqniques to put the bones back in place again.

If you have overflexible joints it is quite often you put too much weight on the joint which can result in pain in the end.

Or if you have a big belly you probably need to train your back to prevent your pelvis to always be tipped forwards whichs puts to much weight on your lower back. Having a heavy belly is also putting extra weight on your joints in your hips and knees.

A good chiropractor along with good massage is the best way of not making the bones "lock" or go back to the position that is not comfortable for you.

I have tried both naprapaths and chiropractors. I like their kind of treatment and it has helped me a lot.

I used to work as a ballet dancer at an european opera house when i was younger and i don't know how any of the dancers would have survived without both a naprapath and a chiropractor. It helped me a lot.

Pardon if my english isn't too good, i hope you understand how i mean anyway.

Please feel free to have an opposite oppinion than mine, up to you. :)

I am just telling you my experience.

Thanks for your time.

/comehome

It was like love at first sight beteween me and dr john - he looked at my crooked neck, ai looked at his rough rugged hands and instantly there was a connection. like love at first sight. he placed his digits deep into my vertibra... they needed all the manipulation they could get, and before i new it, he had snapped all the stress and strain out of me leaving me relaxed and limp. so, lovely! He is a first rate manipulator for sure. And, I hear he is some times good at chiropractory. but I will never know, because before long he had left me for his next client, and he was gone. do you now that it is only in thailand that people like him can call him self doctors. he is not a doctor any more than i am. but his hands oh his hands. mark wolf yes, yoo)ur right to go off topic as such. like so much about the spa in samui, everything is xxxxx. that is what gives it character. just like you spine it is open to manipulation. good luck my friend. i hope you can find some one to straightn you spinel. don't snap a brown spine off in the porcess. or you might have to find a real doctore.