Bangkok Flooded

george

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Compared to what it was like in 83 (or was it 84), Sunday's problems were nothing. In '83 I saw people windsurfing on Sukhumvit (not joking). To get to Samrong from Prakanong you had to take a boat. Ramkamhaeng Uni was closed for at least 6 months as most of the buildings were underwater. A lot of Petchburi Road was under waist deep water.

I went to work in shorts and tee shirt and changed at the office. Luckily I was in wading distance of the office so traffic jams were not a problem for me.

Things have improved considerably since then.

Absolutely. I live in Bangkok and work in CBD and I didn't know anything about this until I just now read it on TV.

Bangkok is Zurich-like in water management efficiency compared to here!

i bet that's the first time anyone every said something like that on this forum :)

no rain in the islands and not much in the forecast, i guess our turn will come next month

Does anybody remember the 'great floods' in BKK in the early '80s (I think it was '83 or '84)?

A lot has improved here since then. These days flooding is very localised and it usually subsides within a few hours after the rains stop.

Let's not forget that BKK is very low lying and at high tides (Oct./Nov.) the best and biggest pumps won't be able to get rid of the water.

Our home is only 1.2mtr. above mean sea level, yet we haven't seen any flooding in the past 15 years because flood gates have been installed at all Khlongs in our area (we have a Khlong right behind our house!).

I think the BMA has done quite a good job in this regard.

opalhort

Oh come on!!!!!!!!

I lived in Holland, in the lowest part of the country (450-605 cm below sea level) .

Never had flooding, some cellars maybe, but nothing serious.

120 cm above sea level and a tide difference of maybe 25 cm max and still having trouble with water?

When the f****** Germans decided to make the upper part of the Rhine of concrete, the troubles on the riverboards started when the gates were opened in Germany and Switzerland.

Now something about that is done, and nearly ready.

Last flooding of the sea in Holland was in 1953.

The things done in Bangkok for containing the rainwater are only cosmetic.

One day they will find out that the first problems that were "massaged" away will return after completion of the haphazard plans.

Anyone with some ideas about water management, and I am talking about really minimal knowledge, knows that the Thai need to consult countries and technicians that really know something about this!

But, why should they ask farang how to do it?

Same in Khon Kaen.

All the water they need in the dry season is sluiced away as fast as possible.

Big reservoirs should be built where it can be stored when needed.

Maybe one day the Thai will find out that asking for and using knowledge from abroad does not mean loss of face.

time to build an ark

Good idea, but are you actually allowed to OWN an Ark in Thailand?

I'm not too sure how old you are, but given that Noah was 950 when he died, ensure that your own Ark usufruct is a lifetime one, and not limited to 30 years.

51% Thai ownership should do the trick :)

Depends on the ark is private owned or commercial. If you sell tickets to the animals, it has to be 70% Thai ownership, or so the lawyers tell me.

time to build an ark

Good idea, but are you actually allowed to OWN an Ark in Thailand?

I'm not too sure how old you are, but given that Noah was 950 when he died, ensure that your own Ark usufruct is a lifetime one, and not limited to 30 years.

Noah was 950 years old. :) Thanks for the great laugh! I was rolling on the floor. :D

Keep those funny jokes coming.

Does anybody remember the 'great floods' in BKK in the early '80s (I think it was '83 or '84)?

Oh yes! Sutthisarn Road was a foot deep for several days. Friends caught fish in their living room. Amazing. I still have pictures cut out of the Post, showing Thais with big grins navigating the streets in their boats.

Things have improved greatly here. It's easy to complain, but the level of positive change here in Bangkok, between the eighties and now at least matches anything you'd see in the U.S.

DoctorD

Am surprised that this annual event and consequence rates even a passing mention...... rainy season....floods.....Krungthep.... D'Oh.

regardz from a very pleasant (damp) Chiang Mai to All,

Brewsta

Oh yes! Sutthisarn Road was a foot deep for several days. Friends caught fish in their living room. Amazing. I still have pictures cut out of the Post, showing Thais with big grins navigating the streets in their boats.

Things have improved greatly here. It's easy to complain, but the level of positive change here in Bangkok, between the eighties and now at least matches anything you'd see in the U.S.

DoctorD

Am surprised that this annual event and consequence rates even a passing mention...... rainy season....floods.....Krungthep.... D'Oh

regardz from a very pleasant (damp) Chiang Mai to All,

Brewsta

If the Police instead of stopping people throwing cigarettes on the road, stopped people putting things down the drains, then the drains could be cleaned properly and the flooding might not be so severe in the future. I see people throw building waste in the sewers, earlier today on Vibhavadi Rangsit I saw a motorbike in the Khlong.

Was at Pongpetch earlier around 5pm, water still there.

A lot has improved here since then. These days flooding is very localised and it usually subsides within a few hours after the rains stop.

Let's not forget that BKK is very low lying and at high tides (Oct./Nov.) the best and biggest pumps won't be able to get rid of the water.

Our home is only 1.2mtr. above mean sea level, yet we haven't seen any flooding in the past 15 years because flood gates have been installed at all Khlongs in our area (we have a Khlong right behind our house!).

opalhort

Oh come on!!!!!!!!

I lived in Holland, in the lowest part of the country (450-605 cm below sea level) .

120 cm above sea level and a tide difference of maybe 25 cm max and still having trouble with water?

When the f****** Germans decided to make the upper part of the Rhine of concrete, the troubles on the riverboards started when the gates were opened in Germany and Switzerland.

Now something about that is done, and nearly ready.

Last flooding of the sea in Holland was in 1953.

The things done in Bangkok for containing the rainwater are only cosmetic.

One day they will find out that the first problems that were "massaged" away will return after completion of the haphazard plans.

Anyone with some ideas about water management, and I am talking about really minimal knowledge, knows that the Thai need to consult countries and technicians that really know something about this!

But, why should they ask farang how to do it?

Same in Khon Kaen.

All the water they need in the dry season is sluiced away as fast as possible.

Big reservoirs should be built where it can be stored when needed.

Maybe one day the Thai will find out that asking for and using knowledge from abroad does not mean loss of face.

You come. Maybe you do not know that Thailand is not suurounded by dikes like the Neather regions. Thais have capable hydrologists and engineers to "fix the problem" as you call it. They don't need Mr. Falang to "help" them because "tey no nuting". Maybe they do not want to create the structures, etc. that "you believe" they should.

Holland is a very small country which has the means to protect the entire coast line.

Did you have a look at a map of Thailand and compared the length of the coast lines?

There is no way Thailand could build levies around the enter country's coast lines.

I think BKK is doing quite a good job, maybe not perfect but at least as good as their means (financial) allow.

BTW tide level difference of 25cm is not always correct if you factor in frequent storms in the tropics during the high tide season.

opalhort

time to build an ark

You have a work permit?

The red shirts took a wise decision not to come out... They would have been washed away!

I have noticed that their demonstrations usually are. Could there have been too little notice to cancel the plans for a dousing?

time to build an ark

You have a work permit?

The red shirts took a wise decision not to come out... They would have been washed away!

I have noticed that their demonstrations usually are. Could there have been too little notice to cancel the plans for a dousing?

i guess i'd better cough up some "tea" money :)

just to clear up that when rainfall is measured , as in 10cm. in bangkok this time, it does not mean there is 10cm. of water on the ground. The amount of flooding from say, 6 inches of rainfall in aday would be catastrophic with water metres deep! :)

time to build an ark

You have a work permit?

i guess i'd better cough up some "tea" money :)

Amazing - 764 users, incl.myself are reading this......careful we don't 'flood' the TV Webservers :D)

rgdz,

Brewsta

opalhort

I remember. And in those days the pavements were even worse and full of BIG holes. Trying to walk down Sukhumvit in knee high water was something of an adventure.

You come. Maybe you do not know that Thailand is not suurounded by dikes like the Neather regions. Thais have capable hydrologists and engineers to "fix the problem" as you call it. They don't need Mr. Falang to "help" them because "tey no nuting". Maybe they do not want to create the structures, etc. that "you believe" they should.

Bit of a mystery why the streets keep flooding in the rainy season then I suppose. Perhaps they need capable meteorologists to tell the 'capable hydrologists and engineers' that it rains in the rainy season. Perhaps they don't know.

10cm of water, and this is newsworthy?

My front garden was under 2m of flood water a couple of weeks ago due to extra gates for the dam that controls the Khwae Yai being opened up. Now that did create a mess. It's going to cost the government about 100 million I am told to compensate people along the river for damage. Most of our outdoor items ended up floating away and we have spent the last couple of weeks finding them and bringing home what is still usable. Fortunately my home is raised up so no major problem for me, not like many neighbours who all but disappeared.

If the Police instead of stopping people throwing cigarettes on the road, stopped people putting things down the drains, then the drains could be cleaned properly and the flooding might not be so severe in the future. I see people throw building waste in the sewers, earlier today on Vibhavadi Rangsit I saw a motorbike in the Khlong.

Was at Pongpetch earlier around 5pm, water still there.

Aloha

Part of the problem are things thrown on the street, the wind or rain takes it to the storm drain and you are right about unknowing or uncaring dumping or sweeping everything into our life's blood, the storm drains, If your ever near Tuk Com, Pattaya, look in the storm drains there at the rear entrance or whereever there are food carts, or close to a 7/Eleven, they plug up there or close and then the back-up begins, stencil, educate, fine or once all of our natural water is contaminated and we are not far away, we can kiss our back sides good-by

post-51002-1251724104_thumb.jpg