Ngo Work Permits

I am planning to start paid work in a registered non-profit (NGO) organisation and will be leaving a previous paid job as a teacher. Can anyone advise on the best way to go forward:-

a) hand in my existing work permit and get a new one OR

:o change the details of employer and job description on the old one

In addition, do non-profit organisations have to fulfill the usual requirements of business income, number of workers etc or not? I have heard not, but am not certain.

finally, a related question on visas. I am 35, single and not supported by a Thai, however managed to get an O Non Immigrant Visa by showing that I was then working as a voluntary teacher in a Thai school. In my paid school, they continued to extend this O Visa, however it seems that this may not be the usual thing. What does anyone think is the best way to go...

a) try to extend the existing O Visa OR

:D get a new B NI Visa

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Flipper

When i first came to Thailand it was the same for me. I worked for an NGO but then left. I can tell you the NGO should be able to take care of all the requirements for you. You yourself can not get a workpermit anyways. I was not required to show alot of documents. All they did was write a letter stating how long i was going to be with them for (at that time 1 year) and it took less than a month for them to get my permit. I was not married at the time so that shouldnt be a problem for you either. As far as the money they need or others working... I think (do not quote me) that this is not a factor with NGOs. Just get them to do the work for you and it should be good. Type O visa from school??? Thats the first time ive heard of some one having a type O being a teacher but i could be wrong there as well.

Could I ask what type of work either of you did/will be doing for an NGO. Could i also ask what NGO it was/is?

I'm considering doing the same myself.

Also did the same as you Flipper with an O for teaching as a volunteer in a government school (now ceased as school wouldn't/couldn't manage a WP for me).

The NGO i was with was called TRRM. (Thailand Rural Reconstruction Movement) Under the Kings control. Yes the King was/is the main donator of TRRM. Had alot of fun with my time there. Not alot of money to live on though so went into another work area. Once again, the NGO has to do all the paper work but shouldn't be to difficult if they have done it at least once before.

The fist time i got my visa with them and workpermit was a type O visa- s catagory what ever that means. I did not get to do that much concerning locals. Did get to travel alot seeing the far north and south. They basicly teach them new farming methods and how to save money for rainy days etc..... I did their website as well as talking to English speaking advisors helping them out. Had alot of fun. Pay was around 20k per month.

I think the British Council come under something like this. Their teachers pay no tax, and don't need a work permit! Rather they use a Non-imm F (I think) Visa!

The British Council comes uner the British Embassy, and therefore do not require

work permits.

The fist time i got my visa with them and workpermit was a type O visa- s catagory what ever that means. I did not get to do that much concerning locals. Did get to travel alot seeing the far north and south. They basicly teach them new farming methods and how to save money for rainy days etc..... I did their website as well as talking to English speaking advisors helping them out. Had alot of fun. Pay was around 20k per month.

do you have the URL to their website? I could only find other sites about them and it looked interesting, seemed a lot of it was involved with helping out senior citizens, which is something I'm keen on.

hehe I can do better than that sir. The president of TRRM is my mother-in-law. lol I did make an English website for them under www.trrm.com but right now as you can see its under major changes (nothing there right now) as they are moving there main office to 2 hours north of BKK.

They did inform me that they have the new Thai version up and running and i shall get the exact addy for you tonight when she comes home. Yes they do deal alot with retired Thais in Chinat (spelling?)

If you really want more info, you may pm me or email me, and i'll give you my phone number to tell you what i do know.

I am planning to start paid work in a registered non-profit (NGO) organisation and will be leaving a previous paid job as a teacher.  Can anyone advise on the best way to go forward:-

a) hand in my existing work permit and get a new one    OR

:o change the details of employer and job description on the old one

In addition, do non-profit organisations have to fulfill the usual requirements of business income, number of workers etc or not?  I have heard not, but am not certain.

finally, a related question on visas.  I am 35, single and not supported by a Thai, however managed to get an O Non Immigrant Visa by showing that I was then working as a voluntary teacher in a Thai school.  In my paid school, they continued to extend this O Visa, however it seems that this may not be the usual thing.  What does anyone think is the best way to go...

a) try to extend the existing O Visa OR

:D get a new B NI Visa

Many thanks to anyone who can help

Flipper

Only the NGO's administrators can do your WP matter.