Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Losing Fight For Life

churchill

This is a terrible thing to happen to her....these low life thugs are on their merry way, probably having a right old laugh, and this poor woman is in a hospital fighting for her very life. They really are gutter fodder.

The police are not any different from these thugs. A more corrupt and immoral lot you would be hard to find.

So what do they care about a single foreign woman? Not an iota.....they don't give it a second thought.

Hope she recovers soon.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A very tragic event, these type of crimes seem to be on the increase all over Thailand.

Good luck to Lydia and may her husband Dougie and their family, find the strength they will need to see them through this terrible time.

I used to see necklace snatching along Lang-suan road when I lived there. My only personal experience was a transvestite in Pattaya who jumped off the back of a motorcycle and plummeted her hand down my pocket to snatch my wallet. But luckily I saw her coming and she got nothing before jumping back on the bike and speeding away (the bike didn't have plates).

I hope that the lady here can make a recover. I am not quite sure I understand all of the details. Was the back strap over her head, not hanging from the same shoulder side? If so, should people be more aware of the potential dangers of that i.e. if the robber could have more easily grabbed the bag she may not have been dragged along?

I personally know several people injured by these scum, who know full well there are going to hurt people by deliberately causing the victims motorbikes to crash.

How do you know the victim was riding a motorcycle?

I should have made it clearer that I was also talking about the thieves that attack other motorbike riders. Aside from the horrible incident with the Scottish lady, the other riders usually have a lot of road-rash and sometimes broken limbs.

A very tragic event, these type of crimes seem to be on the increase all over Thailand.

Good luck to Lydia and may her husband Dougie and their family, find the strength they will need to see them through this terrible time.

My best wishes to Lydia and lets hope on behalf of us all that she makes a full recovery.

I hope the men involved in the snatch get the worst that I can think of as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!

Again very tragic event as posted by "Khundon".

Could one reduce the possibility of snatch-and-injury by putting a handbag in a small backpack (rucksack, napsack) which one carries on the back with straps around both shoulders? Anyone know if the snatchers-on-bikes go for these too?

My gf was mugged on a similar way 2 years ago. She is thai and her bag was locked to her so she was dragged behind the motorbike until they let go. She had a lot of open wounds but thank god nothing as serious as this lady.

Just tell you this because some people think only farang are targeted.

My gf was mugged on a similar way 2 years ago. She is thai and her bag was locked to her so she was dragged behind the motorbike until they let go. She had a lot of open wounds but thank god nothing as serious as this lady.

I wish the punks would try that with me, then again I would have to be holding my wife's handbad which I do sometimes when she is shopping...wonder how far they could get with a 290lb farang holding the bag? Scumbags, always pick on the weak or the weaker.

Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Is Fighting For Her Life

A Scots expat is fighting for her life after she was mugged by two thieves in Thailand.

Lydia Riach, 52, from Inverness, who lives in Bangkok with her husband, Dougie, was attacked by the men at the weekend.

Details only emerged yesterday of the incident. Mrs Riach, a mother of two, is on a life support machine in hospital.

Her daughter Patricia and son Roger were last night described as being "devastated" by the incident.

The attack was carried out by two men on a moped in Bangkok city centre on Saturday. One was driving while the other grabbed her handbag.

Mrs Riach was carried a considerable distance before being thrown to the ground and was knocked instantly unconscious as her head struck the pavement.

She was rushed to hospital and has been in a coma on a ventilator ever since.

Nicol Adie, Patricia's husband, said: "It is a really difficult time for the family and we would like to be left alone and our privacy respected."

A family friend, who did not wish to be named, said: "It doesn't sound very good for Lydia. The family are fearing the worst."

Another said: "Everyone in Inverness knew the family."

Mrs Riach had worked as a part-time teacher and also worked in supermarkets in Inverness. She had recently returned to Inverness to visit her grandchildren.

The family friend added: "It is tragic something like this has happened to her. She was devoted to her family and loved returning to Inverness to see them."

Mr Riach is a past Scottish rally champion, and is honorary life president of the Highland Car Club. He is also a founding director of Caledonian Thistle Football Club, and was also a keen curler.

The family friend continued: "He was at one time a very, very good rally driver. He was pretty big in rallying.

"He worked for quite a number of people. He was a good salesman, working for the likes of Arnold Clark and John Weir in car sales."

-- theherald.co.uk 2009-09-01

I feel very sorry for them, let's hope that she'll recover very fast.

Did any Thai newspapers or other news reports further specifiy the location of this attack? One should be careful everywhere and at all times, but Bangkok City Centre covers a very large area.

It happened in one of the small roads leading off Sukhumvit Soi 22.

I wish the punks would try that with me, then again I would have to be holding my wife's handbad which I do sometimes when she is shopping...wonder how far they could get with a 290lb farang holding the bag? Scumbags, always pick on the weak or the weaker.

Generalising, but Thais tend to be very selective who they take on. In fights the rarely fight one to one. One of their sadder traits I am afraid.

Terrible story, I understand these kinds of purse/jewelry snatches are getting more and more common. Sympathies to her family and here's hoping she recovers fully.

Yeah My wife was mugged walking home from work on Soi 20(Sukhumvit) ,luckily she was only knocked to the ground and dragged for a brief moment though she lost her belongings and more importantly her love for the country.Sounds silly I know but it pretty frightening being pulled backwards along the ground by a thug on a motorbike!

Made out a Police report but the lack of interest shown was disgusting by the police officer at the station

Hope this lady make a speedy recovery.

And if you had caught the guy and done a ground and pound on him, I'm sure the copper would have been quite interested then...in you....

TIT Hypocrisy as usual

Generalising, but Thais tend to be very selective who they take on. In fights the rarely fight one to one. One of their sadder traits I am afraid.

Any mugger / robber ect farang or thai would go for the target that will yield the most money for the least amount of risk. So your statement is a bit crazy.

Could one reduce the possibility of snatch-and-injury by putting a handbag in a small backpack (rucksack, napsack) which one carries on the back with straps around both shoulders? Anyone know if the snatchers-on-bikes go for these too?

THey probably don't go for those simply because they most probably wont come off if just yanked on.

Which is what the entire trick is based around, the idea that if they grab onto it and keep speeding off it will come off you.

Big packs ligke that are less likely to come off and certainly not if belted.

So they wont go at you for it but not many people carry a handbag and a rucksac and if you live here, you don't usually carry a backpack.

It's just vile, but then again most criminals don't care what happens to the victim or what their circumstances are.

I hope she gets better and wish the two drink some whiskey when they next go for a ride hopefully tossing themself of the side of a bridge and into a Klong.

Hello, my prayers and thoughts to this lady and her family. I hope that the people that do these awful acts will see the error of their ways and look for better guidance, but in a city as big as Bangkok there will be the small time losers that are a burden to society. I hope she has a full and fast recovery.

Terrible story, I understand these kinds of purse/jewelry snatches are getting more and more common. Sympathies to her family and here's hoping she recovers fully.

Yeah My wife was mugged walking home from work on Soi 20(Sukhumvit) ,luckily she was only knocked to the ground and dragged for a brief moment though she lost her belongings and more importantly her love for the country.Sounds silly I know but it pretty frightening being pulled backwards along the ground by a thug on a motorbike!

Made out a Police report but the lack of interest shown was disgusting by the police officer at the station

And if you had caught the guy and done a ground and pound on him, I'm sure the copper would have been quite interested then...in you....

TIT Hypocrisy as usual

The problem isn't with the officers here (For once) It's that the crime is happening in a manner that leaves very little in terms of things for the police to do.

People complain about how 'uninterested' the police look world around for crimes like this, Being pickpocketed many burglaries, snatch and grab in any country. It just doesn't leave them anythig to follow up on AND they have to deal with it day in day out.

It's uncommon event for you, not them.

What a terrible tragedy for the family. Absolutely terrible. My heartfelt condolences.

There are lots of affluent people living in that area and foreigners, in particular, make for soft targets. I do hope people living and frequenting the area are aware of what's happened and are able to take safety precautions.

TIT Hypocrisy as usual

The problem isn't with the officers here (For once) It's that the crime is happening in a manner that leaves very little in terms of things for the police to do.

People complain about how 'uninterested' the police look world around for crimes like this, Being pickpocketed many burglaries, snatch and grab in any country. It just doesn't leave them anythig to follow up on AND they have to deal with it day in day out.

To counter the above comment, the poor lady is now 'brain dead' , so this is not just a robbery, its a murder. and that, (when a falang is involved), is NOT something that the police have to deal with every day !

To counter the above comment, the poor lady is now 'brain dead' , so this is not just a robbery, its a murder. and that, (when a falang is involved), is NOT something that the police have to deal with every day !

That fact while rather unpleasant and a very unfortunate outcome for the family.

Does not in turn generate any leads, or avenues to follow up concerning the crime commited.

Police all around the world have to deal with horrible things every day.

I'm sure in Japan the officers don't really react with too much shock when they hear someone else has tossed themself in front of a train.

I'm not saying this is not a tragedy, but the reaction of the officers should not be a reason to condemn the police force.

Much less imply that they would turn on you and ask you for some cash as was implied by a previous poster.

I was commenting on the method of the crime and lack of recourse for the police.

Edited by Wuffy

Any mugger / robber ect farang or thai would go for the target that will yield the most money for the least amount of risk. So your statement is a bit crazy.

Take a reality check. This is the point I make. "Generalising, but Thais tend to be very selective who they take on. In fights the rarely fight one to one. One of their sadder traits I am afraid." They rarely have one on one fights. They get their buddies along. The only way they fight. I was not referring to a particular incident but as i said generalising ( in other words what theyn do on average). If that is not your experience, then you have lived a sheltered life here. Good for you.

Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Is Fighting For Her Life

A Scots expat is fighting for her life after she was mugged by two thieves in Thailand.

Lydia Riach, 52, from Inverness, who lives in Bangkok with her husband, Dougie, was attacked by the men at the weekend.

Details only emerged yesterday of the incident. Mrs Riach, a mother of two, is on a life support machine in hospital.

Her daughter Patricia and son Roger were last night described as being "devastated" by the incident.

The attack was carried out by two men on a moped in Bangkok city centre on Saturday. One was driving while the other grabbed her handbag.

Mrs Riach was carried a considerable distance before being thrown to the ground and was knocked instantly unconscious as her head struck the pavement.

She was rushed to hospital and has been in a coma on a ventilator ever since.

Nicol Adie, Patricia's husband, said: "It is a really difficult time for the family and we would like to be left alone and our privacy respected."

A family friend, who did not wish to be named, said: "It doesn't sound very good for Lydia. The family are fearing the worst."

Another said: "Everyone in Inverness knew the family."

Mrs Riach had worked as a part-time teacher and also worked in supermarkets in Inverness. She had recently returned to Inverness to visit her grandchildren.

The family friend added: "It is tragic something like this has happened to her. She was devoted to her family and loved returning to Inverness to see them."

Mr Riach is a past Scottish rally champion, and is honorary life president of the Highland Car Club. He is also a founding director of Caledonian Thistle Football Club, and was also a keen curler.

The family friend continued: "He was at one time a very, very good rally driver. He was pretty big in rallying.

"He worked for quite a number of people. He was a good salesman, working for the likes of Arnold Clark and John Weir in car sales."

-- theherald.co.uk 2009-09-01

I heard about this on Monday night whilst playing in the BKK pool league. A truly shocking and sad story. My condolences to the family. I cannot understand why the police aren't doing more about these motorcycle gangs that seem to run riot around the city. Last Saturday night we were returning home and at the Rama 3/ Sirikit junction a gang of mopeds had blocked the traffic so that they could speed down Sirikit Rd. All I am simply trying to say is that I wish the police would do more about these thugs who seem to becoming more and more agressive. Our prayers will be with Mr and Mrs Riach and her recovery.

Daughter and son fly out to be with mum lying in coma

Lydia Riach has fractured skull after drive-by bag-snatch in Thailand

By jonny muir

Published: 02/09/2009

The son and daughter of an Inverness woman who is in a coma in a hospital in Thailand after she was the victim of a botched bag-snatch are to fly to Bangkok today to be at her bedside.

Lydia Riach is thought to have just days to live after receiving multiple skull fractures when two men grabbed her handbag in a drive-by robbery on Saturday.

The force of the attack in central Bangkok sent mother-of-two Mrs Riach, 58, spinning into the road, causing her to hit her head.

She was rushed to Bangkok Police Hospital where she had emergency surgery, but has not regained consciousness.

Her son Roger, 34, and daughter Patricia, 37, are due to fly out to the Thai capital today.

Mr Riach, who was brought up in Inverness, and now lives in Glasgow, said his mother had moved to Thailand last November and was “very happy”.

She joined her husband, Douglas, 58, who has been in Bangkok since February 2008, and works as a consultant for Infinity Financial Solutions.

Mr Riach jun said: “It’s very serious. Mum is on a life-support machine. Anyone who has a fractured skull and has undergone a brain operation is going to be very seriously ill. Doctors have said that she won’t last a week, but we will find out more when we arrive.”

He said that he had not seen his mother since her move to Thailand.

Mr Riach jun said: “The last time I saw my mother was a year ago. They were having a perfectly good life out there, and they had lots of friends. They had made a new life there and were stable and happy.”

Asked about the bag-snatchers, he said: “I don’t think they care either way. Coming up behind someone on a motorcycle, there's always a chance that something is going to happen. Mum is very protective of her property.”

He added: “My father has been told by police that they hope to catch the people responsible within a couple of weeks.”

On Monday, Mr Riach sen, 57, said his wife’s injuries were so severe because she had the strap of her bag around her neck, as well as over her shoulder.

Mrs Riach, who once worked at Tesco at the Inshes Retail Park in Inverness, and the Heathmount bar in the city, was described by her former neighbours at Drakies Avenue in Inverness as “a quiet and very pleasant lady”.

Mr Riach worked as a match day announcer at Inverness Caledonian Thistle and also served as a director at the Highland side and Inverness Thistle.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.a...377759?UserKey=

What can one say when confronted with a tragedy like this, save that I hope for the best.

And please, to those that would seek to downplay the horrific nature of this attack with comments like "But it happens in XXX". it still doesn't make this any less a disgusting and brutal attack. Always the same scenario though, with women and the elderly targeted by these miscreants.

G thanks for your post, I agree 100%. Who cares what criminals do in other countries if we are living here in Thailand? If I were in another country, I would not say "Ah robbery is no big deal here because it happens in Thailand too." Crime is crime but if I live in Thailand, then I'm concerned about the crime here.

What can one say when confronted with a tragedy like this, save that I hope for the best.

And please, to those that would seek to downplay the horrific nature of this attack with comments like "But it happens in XXX". it still doesn't make this any less a disgusting and brutal attack. Always the same scenario though, with women and the elderly targeted by these miscreants.

G thanks for your post, I agree 100%. Who cares what criminals do in other countries if we are living here in Thailand? If I were in another country, I would not say "Ah robbery is no big deal here because it happens in Thailand too." Crime is crime but if I live in Thailand, then I'm concerned about the crime here.

Agree 100% too.

Best wishes to Lydia Riach, and her family, for her quick and full recovery.

I'm going to hop in here right now and Agree with two previous posters.

My earlier comments in hindsight (20/20) were callous when put in the context of this thread, that it is a horrible crime.

Best wishes for the family.

Apologies for having derailed the thread by discussing the pettiness of the actual type of crime and it's unlikely hood to be resolved.