Expat Scot Mugged In Thailand Losing Fight For Life

churchill

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wish a quick recovery to the lady and courage to her family.

as her husband said , she loved the country , my experience in thailand and stories I heard and read about , only people who loved thailand got hurt in it . something I can't understand . as I didnot love it.

First, I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family. This is a tragedy that never should have happened. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out by others, these types of crimes seem to increase as the economy worsens, and there really is very little the police can do about it.

Second, about 6 months ago an American expat was buying a new gold necklace for his wife at the Tesco/Lotus on the way to Hang Dong. This individual is not an imposing figure at 172 cm tall and 66k, with a slender, athletic build, even at the age of 60. As he was closing out the sale he noticed two young Thai boys who seemed to be taking an interest in him. He pretended to not to notice, while keeping an eye on them. As he left the store and headed to his motorbike, out of the corner of his eye he saw the two young men from the store come out and motion to two other men about their ages who were straddling motorbikes. The man went to his own bike, which happens to be a new CBR 150, and pulled out of the parking area wearing his full helmet as if nothing in the world was wrong. As soon as he pulled out onto the highway he saw the 2 motorbikes following him. He gradually increased his speed until he reached the intersection of the highway which would take him home. He gunned the bike around the curve, went about 200 meters and then stopped and got off the bike, removing his helmet, and waited for them.

Sure enough, they came around the corner, and when they saw him standing there they just laughed and stopped their own bikes and got off, thinking they had easy pickings. It took less than 30 seconds to be over with. The police were then called and soon arrived, and then the ambulances, which took the 4 young men to the hospital.

It turns out that the "little old farang" they targeted had spent 20 years in Special Forces, and now unofficially works as a self-defense martial arts instructor for a local police unit. Naturally he had to go to the station to file a report as to what happened, but was not arrested or charged with anything, while the 4 boys were charged with assault and attempted theft. As one officer put it: "They picked the wrong farang to f _ _ k with!"

This story never made the news, but I can vouch for it because that farang was me.

Lets all be clear and honest those of us living in this country know only too well how the law works or doesn't work here. If you want the Police the launch a serious investigation into catching criminals (particularly Thefts and muggings) you are "whistling in the wind" to use an idiom. Law enforcement , investigation on a lower level is not a priority. PERIOD.

How many people living here would expect a thorough investigation if they were murdered? It would be a Thai style investigation.. :) enough said.

Condolences to the Lydia and my prayers for her and family.

First, I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family. This is a tragedy that never should have happened. Unfortunately, as has been pointed out by others, these types of crimes seem to increase as the economy worsens, and there really is very little the police can do about it.

Second, about 6 months ago an American expat was buying a new gold necklace for his wife at the Tesco/Lotus on the way to Hang Dong. This individual is not an imposing figure at 172 cm tall and 66k, with a slender, athletic build, even at the age of 60. As he was closing out the sale he noticed two young Thai boys who seemed to be taking an interest in him. He pretended to not to notice, while keeping an eye on them. As he left the store and headed to his motorbike, out of the corner of his eye he saw the two young men from the store come out and motion to two other men about their ages who were straddling motorbikes. The man went to his own bike, which happens to be a new CBR 150, and pulled out of the parking area wearing his full helmet as if nothing in the world was wrong. As soon as he pulled out onto the highway he saw the 2 motorbikes following him. He gradually increased his speed until he reached the intersection of the highway which would take him home. He gunned the bike around the curve, went about 200 meters and then stopped and got off the bike, removing his helmet, and waited for them.

Sure enough, they came around the corner, and when they saw him standing there they just laughed and stopped their own bikes and got off, thinking they had easy pickings. It took less than 30 seconds to be over with. The police were then called and soon arrived, and then the ambulances, which took the 4 young men to the hospital.

It turns out that the "little old farang" they targeted had spent 20 years in Special Forces, and now unofficially works as a self-defense martial arts instructor for a local police unit. Naturally he had to go to the station to file a report as to what happened, but was not arrested or charged with anything, while the 4 boys were charged with assault and attempted theft. As one officer put it: "They picked the wrong farang to f _ _ k with!"

This story never made the news, but I can vouch for it because that farang was me.

Good for you mate, Hope you made a good job of faces and bodies of the Thai Boy Scum

Edited by sunnymarky

I see from your profile that you like writing stories.

You unofficially work with a local police unit. Is that what they are called in Thailand.

From your quote the officer spoke very good English. 30 seconds Wow Average of 5 secs a piece. :)

I see from your profile that you like writing stories.

You unofficially work with a local police unit. Is that what they are called in Thailand.

From your quote the officer spoke very good English. 30 seconds Wow Average of 5 secs a piece. :)

Does Force Recon refer to themselves as "Special Forces" As a former Marine myself i was under the impression that Army was used the term "Special Forces"

He wasn't charged as the police know him real well, he trains them, helps them with weapons, and goes on walkabout into Burma with the Shan I believe.

Quite a famous man in Thailand.

There seems to be some confusion here, an external newspaper site is stating that tragically that Lydia is now diagnosed as having no brain stem function, that they have ceased special medication and she is not expected to live much longer. However some other sites, [the photographer for example] including posts here state unequivocally that she has died.

Perhaps a task for a moderator to establish clarity and reduce possible hurt and anguish?

Regards

Just seen this story on UK news sites, really sad for the family. The husband seems a brave guy, he was quoted saying he hoped people would not stop visiting Thailand as a result of the attack, as "it could happen in many places".

What a guy to be able to say such a thing so soon after such a tragic event!

He wasn't charged as the police know him real well, he trains them, helps them with weapons, and goes on walkabout into Burma with the Shan I believe.

Quite a famous man in Thailand.

Sorted 4 boys in 30 seconds. This is a troll Look at the profile, he admits he is a novelist. A right Enyd Blyton.

Scot attacked in Bangkok will be allowed to die

Published Date: 04 September 2009

By Andrew Drummond in Bangkok

DOCTORS in Bangkok have withdrawn special medication for a 58-year-old Scots grandmother who suffered severe head injuries when she was mugged in a Bangkok street at the weekend.

But they have refused to switch off life-support systems for Lydia Riach, of Inverness, as that is against Thai law.

The children's charity worker, who was celebrating her 30th wedding anniversary, will be left to die naturally at the Police Hosp

ADVERTISEMENT

ital in Bangkok, where she was admitted last Saturday. Police will then launch a murder investigation into her death.

Mrs Riach's husband, Douglas Riach, 57, a former director of Inverness Caledonian Thistle football club, said yesterday: "I have received confirmation that Lydia no longer has brain-stem function. The law denies the choice in terminating life support.

"She has been moved out of the intensive care unit to a ward where life will continue, but medication will be capped. We anticipate a matter of days only, which is a blessing, as she is gone already."

The news was broken as the couple's son, Roger, 34, daughter Patricia, 37, and their uncle, Eddie Riach, flew into the Thai capital to be with her.

"They have arrived together, and the family will be together for Lydia's last hours," Mr Riach added.

The mugging, which took place in Bangkok's Sukhumvit Soi 22, has angered many expatriates, who say they are beginning to fear for safety on the streets of Bangkok.

Mr and Mrs Riach have been a popular couple in the expat community of the Thai capital. Mr Riach arrived in Bangkok two years ago and secured work as a sales consultant for a financial consultancy before his wife flew out to join him.

Earlier in the week, a delegation from a bar where the Riachs used to watch Celtic matches went to the police station at Thonglor in Bangkok and demanded action over the attack.

Bar owner Ray McLaughlin, from Glasgow, said: "We are very concerned that the police wake up to the seriousness of this crime."

However, a spokesman for Thonglor police said:

"We have new information and are confident of making an arrest."

Mr Riach last night distanced himself from criticisms of the police. He said: "If there is one thing I want to get across it is that I do not blame Thailand or the Thais for this. It could happen in many places.

"Lydia's treatment in hospital has been caring and excellent."

Mrs Riach was injured when a thief on a motorcycle grabbed her bag, dragging her along the road and smashing her head against the pavement.

Last night, Mrs Riach's son paid tribute to her.

Roger Riach, an operations manager for Securitas in Glasgow, said: "Our mum was everybody's friend and a very cheerful person. She loved her new life in Bangkok."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Scot-att...kok-.5617641.jp

carry a switchblade for defense? ....or for possibly aiding the victims.

How sweet it would be to at least get a solid plunge in to a p.snatcher in the act!

Just very occasionally these pondscum make a mistake while trying to stael from a Thai in the street and they get cornered by a small crowd of disgruntled locals. Interesting to watch and far more effective than the Blobs in Brown......

How sweet it would be to at least get a solid plunge in to a p.snatcher in the act!

Just very occasionally these pondscum make a mistake while trying to stael from a Thai in the street and they get cornered by a small crowd of disgruntled locals. Interesting to watch and far more effective than the Blobs in Brown......

I once saw a Thai motorbike taxi see a Thai guy pickpocket an English tourist in Surawong Rd. That ended up very badly for the pickpocket.

In the end, the English guy that got his wallet back was trying to prevent the beating... :)

Did any Thai newspapers or other news reports further specifiy the location of this attack? One should be careful everywhere and at all times, but Bangkok City Centre covers a very large area.

It happened in one of the small roads leading off Sukhumvit Soi 22.

Thanks for the information. Lots of small, narrow sois in this area. Easy for muggers who know these small sois to make a quick escape, and not many witnesses.

In response to some of the comments regarding my post:

1) I use the term "Special Forces" as most people have absolutely no idea of what Recon really is, or have even heard of it, especially in Thailand, but they do understand "S.F.".

2) When I called the police, I called one of the commissioned officers I teach, who does speak very good English.

3) My classes for self-defense are not taught in a school, but here in my "village", and are limited to 5 students per month, at 2,000 baht per student.

4) As for the "30 seconds". Take any man, or woman, who has been studying martial arts for over 30 years as I have, put 4 "assailants" (who have no idea of what they are up against) within "arms reach", and I can pretty much guarantee that it will take 30 seconds or less to be over with.

5) Me being a "novelist" merely means that in some cases I have the "writing skills" to express something in other than "basic English".

For those of you who wish to question, be skeptical, or not believe, that's your right.

End of subject.

However, a spokesman for Thonglor police said:

"We have new information and are confident of making an arrest."

Mr Riach last night distanced himself from criticisms of the police. He said: "If there is one thing I want to get across it is that I do not blame Thailand or the Thais for this. It could happen in many places.

Believe in fairies if you want. this may get more attention because of the publicity . FACT IS, Hundreds of these smiliar "muggings": on Falang get very little police investigation

In response to some of the comments regarding my post:

4) As for the "30 seconds". Take any man, or woman, who has been studying martial arts for over 30 years as I have, put 4 "assailants" (who have no idea of what they are up against) within "arms reach", and I can pretty much guarantee that it will take 30 seconds or less to be over with.

:) ok ok, if you say so ....................... now go back to your video game.

Anyway, to get back on topic - 2 weeks earlier, exactly the same happened to a Thai friend of mine on exactly the same soi, so please don't just say this is only against farangs - it is a circumstance of a lot of things and pretty much anyone can be a target.

It was reported that the lady in question, Lydia Riach, already had died. This turned out to be untrue. We there for have deleted the comments made as to her death and want to express our sympathies with to her family and loved ones who were upset by this incorrect news at a time when they are already going to a very difficult period.

This stuff has been out of control for too long. The police need a new plan to get the streets cleaned up. Why don't the police setup sting operations and have undercover officers walking the street with gold hanging around their necks. When the drive-bys happen other undercover officers near by can then take action and get this scum off the streets. With any luck they may even get the ones who did this act. No one is safe in this country anymore !

This stuff has been out of control for too long. The police need a new plan to get the streets cleaned up. Why don't the police setup sting operations and have undercover officers walking the street with gold hanging around their necks. When the drive-bys happen other undercover officers near by can then take action and get this scum off the streets. With any luck they may even get the ones who did this act. No one is safe in this country anymore !

The Police couldnt care less. the only time I see them out after dark is if they are on the piss or collecting money.

I sure hope this lady recovers, I'm glad to hear she is still holding on and I hope we get some good news soon regarding her health.

Totally agree with bobbin.

I saw this type of thing time and time again when I lived in Pattaya. Gold snatching, bag snatching, been going on for years.

When will someone tell the boys in brown to get of their a***s and do something? :)

Just 1 voice,

That's excellent news for which I am proud of you. I too am self defence trained by the forces but no where near to your standards. My only concern is OK, I could and would probably be able to deal with most incidents involving these Bleep Bleep. But my concern is that now they are brave enough to carry and use firearms to attack Farangs or Thais, not only in the streets but in their own property. Before I use an ATM I am always looking over my shoulder to see who is behind me, and withdraw the least amount of money that I require. I believe in 'Always expect the unexpected'

Well done Just 1 voice, you ought to be presented with a medal for your sheer bravery. I sincerely applaud you.

Edited by Pitbullman1

Lets all be clear and honest those of us living in this country know only too well how the law works or doesn't work here. If you want the Police the launch a serious investigation into catching criminals (particularly Thefts and muggings) you are "whistling in the wind" to use an idiom. Law enforcement , investigation on a lower level is not a priority. PERIOD.

How many people living here would expect a thorough investigation if they were murdered? It would be a Thai style investigation.. :) enough said.

Condolences to the Lydia and my prayers for her and family.

Before you start generalising about how lawless your hosts are, maybe you should read about a recent murder trial in Ranong that saw three Thais convicted of murdering a Canadian expat.

Edited by NanLaew

Shame this had to happen.

As usual nothing in the English language press.

This should be properly reported as it affects tourists and expats.

It's getting to the stage where it seems we all personally know a victim. I do. Now's the time to write letters to the press.

Could one reduce the possibility of snatch-and-injury by putting a handbag in a small backpack (rucksack, napsack) which one carries on the back with straps around both shoulders? Anyone know if the snatchers-on-bikes go for these too?

How about putting your handbag in an old canvas shopping bag? There are times when I clasp my briefcase to my chest. Bum bags are difficult to snatch. I would advocate dressing down in public spaces: no jewellery, keep your watch in your pocket etc. These are precautions for any big city but it is along overdue sobering thought to realise that Bangkok is just like anywhere else. Tell the folks back home to ignore the Thai hype.

My best wishes for her recovery.

Did any Thai newspapers or other news reports further specifiy the location of this attack? One should be careful everywhere and at all times, but Bangkok City Centre covers a very large area.

Maps of Bangkok and Thailand showing locations of muggings would be useful

There are other ways to grab a bag without causing so much harm to the victim (not that I condone the practice under any circumstances, of course. Also shan't go into these methods here for obvious reasons :) ).

I think these are very irresponsible comments